Expanded realistic skill system

Vred

I like the way skills are handed on this game and I want it to be even better and helpful with more types of skills and little bonuses tied to them instead of just a % chance of things being better. For example a hunting skill would include better accurracy with the rifle and the weapons going to be added(I don't even know if there is any new weapon planned), maybe more materials extracted from the animal because the character would be more experienced and not waste things and finally the ability to be more stealthy ranging from getting closer to a perfect shot and even closer to save a bullet and kill with the knife(it would work only with a few animals because I don't think a wolf or a bear can be stealth killed with a knife but maybe deers?)

The fishing skill could start just improving the chance of catching fish and finish with the ability to break the ice wherever you want and get better fish on different positions along the river.

Survival/endurance skill to make the character harder, faster and stronger(without being overpowered and unrealistic)

Is jumping going to be added? It could be added as a survival skill allowing the player to jump and climb.

Thats just the things I want after a couple of playtroughs and seeing that here on the forums a lot of other stuff I want is already being covered. I didnt put too much thought into it but I think its possible to expand the skill system and the way the wild enviroment change the character, making the game more interesting.

I agree that a stealth mechanic would be appreciated by many, but sneaking up on a deer and knifing it? Not even a ninja that has trained all their life would be able to perform such a feat, virtually all animals have senses which outstrip our own several times over. A deer could probably hear the wood groan under your hand as you lean against a tree.

Jumping would have to be extremely limited, down to maybe running jumps across gaps or maybe a scrambling mechanic over low ledges. Your average human cannot really jump very high, our bodies are designed for long distance running, not aerial acrobatics.

I agree that a stealth mechanic would be appreciated by many, but sneaking up on a deer and knifing it? Not even a ninja that has trained all their life would be able to perform such a feat, virtually all animals have senses which outstrip our own several times over. A deer could probably hear the wood groan under your hand as you lean against a tree.

Jumping would have to be extremely limited, down to maybe running jumps across gaps or maybe a scrambling mechanic over low ledges. Your average human cannot really jump very high, our bodies are designed for long distance running, not aerial acrobatics.

I am no expert about it so I was just throwing Ideas around, thanks for making it clear that it wouldnt be possible. Maybe sneaking on a feeding wolf then? I even managed to do this already and enter a knife fight with a wolf, I managed to get very close then he got angry and jumped on me, maybe the skill would a allow us to sneak of the feeding wolf and do a fast run and jump on him stabbing the neck, again, if that is unrealistic just don't add it. I loved the way the developers made the game realistic and I don't want it to change but I also really would like to have a skill system that simulate a real human being evolving while surviving.

Well, humans will adapt to a situation, but evolution takes successive generations over thousands, even millions of years.

But a melee attack against wolves would be very useful. The wolf doesn't notice you because it is preoccupied with eating as much of its kill before heading back to its place of rest, I'd think.

Evolution wasnt the best word, the character would just get more EXPERIENCED and used to the enviroment knowing where to get better fish and stuff like that. To prevent people farming skills I think there should be 2 requirements, doing the action tied to the skill and waiting time. You would not be able to unlock the best skills only in a couple of days, you would have to survive weeks and maybe months to get the best skills always like that on a balance of doing the actions and time survived.

Realistically, your character should, over time, develop a (limited) natural resistance to the cold, beyond just what improved clothing affords you, as the human body has an incredible ability to adapt in this manner.

As to jumping, please, please, please add this in. I don't really care how limited it is, but the inability to step or jump over a log or rock or some such in my path is just silly, and a jumping mechanic would probably be the simplest way to solve this. The human ability for jumping may be much more limited than what many games portray it to be, but it is, in fact, something that we can do, and I hate it when I can't do so in a game.

It would take some time to adapt. Modern humans (homo sapiens) naturally originate from the plains of the great rift valley in Africa, and we have retained the majority of the morphology that helped us survive on the baking hot Savannah (like an overall lack of hair, which helps us cool more efficiently, and sweat glands all over our body). Neanderthals were better adapted to the cold, as they had large sinuses for warming air, they had more body hair, and evidence suggest that they had a thicker brown fat layer (fat cells that are used for heat generation, not energy storage like white fat). they were also squatter than homo sapiens, as they did not need the long limbs for running.

Even the indigenous Siberians have not adapted fully to the cold, and they have lived there for millenia.

Archived