Hatchet and Hunting Knife

LeftTurn

Does either of these have a 100% spawn rate on the map? Am currently at day 21 on the Coastal Highway map with none in sight. I found the hunting rifle and a single bullet but that just won't last me and ironically can't use it to hunt without the hunting knife or fish without a way to break the ice.

Is my only option having to move to mystery lake for a hopeful spawn?

I dont know if its 100 % but while in the coastal town, when you check the garage look underneath the tire rack, there is a good chance that a hatchet might be under there, its very easy to miss. The hunting knife is a bit trickier, sometimes you can find them on bodies that are out in the wild, and on the coast you can find them sticking out of the tops of cabinets/chest of drawers which is also easy to miss in the low light of the inside of houses

I'll give another look around. My base camp right now is the at the garage so I'll look for the hatchet when I make it back. (Took a detour to some of the cabins in the mountains in case I missed the spawn up there.)

Edit*

No dice for the Hatchet being under the tire rack! Had my hopes up too.

Searched top and bottom, checked out videos and double checked every house three or more times on the coastal highway map and didn't find anything unfortunately. I must have been a really bad spawn! Eventually eventually got food poisoning with only 1 antibiotic in my inventory and caught by wolves making the run back. My new run is going much better, I started at mystery lake this time and ironically found a hunting knife in the very first drawer I opened.

• 1 month later...
Yea....sometimes you just get bad games. I suppose it works for realism....No guarantee you'll find stuff to make your life easier.

I went 7 days without finding a knife. Finally found one in a fishing shack on the highway map.

How did you feel, when you have found one?

Be kinda cool if we had them both we could use both of them as weapons against wolves. hatchet in one hand, hunting knife in another. That's right, I'm the last of the mohicans!!

Heh. You really do need a tomahawk for that, or maybe a gunstock club.

OP, I have not had such rotten luck in finding those necessary implements, nor can I understand how you've lasted to day 21 without them! Good work!

I just found 5 of each in my game, in mystery lake. like 2 of each in the dam and the rest all over the place. Usually, I find an Axe either at the lumbing post's burned down house or at the deadfall broken house. Near the oven or wtvr the name of the fireplace. also, search those fishing house, there's often an axe under the oven there.

In my game, I've looted nearly all of the interior locations (only one or two left) and I've checked nearly all of the rifle spawns-bar the derailment. One rifle. As for tools, two pry bars, about three knives and two hatchets are all I've pulled. Check some videos there are some random corpses around in ML, one, Max's Last Stand by the Trapper's usually seems to have a hatchet.

If a knife has 100% maintained it would cost e.g. 2 hours to processing a fresh deer. If the knife has 0% it would cost the same amount of time as doing it with bare hands, e.g. 8 hours. It's like not having it, but in a more realistic way.

If the hatchet are 100% maintained it would give e.g. 10x better chance/amount of getting firewood. If the hatchet are 0% maintained it would give the same chance of getting firewood as doing it with bare hands. It's like not having it, also.

I think you guys need to spend more time looking around. I don't think I've ever done a Stalker run and ended up with less than five-six knives. They typically aren't inside cupboards or containers - they are lying on the ground next to corpses, or sticking out of the top of some tall cupboards/dressers, or inside the hunting blind beside the river.

• 3 months later...

The best advice I've read so far is to use the knife and hatchet until they are almost worn out and then repair them. It seems to take the same amount of wood and metal to repair them so there is little sense to repair them early so I'm wondering what is the ideal time or wear out % to optimally repair them.

Also does the amount of materials change when you repair something? I don't think so.

I'm still waiting for Linux support before I can start playing. I thought I would be able to play on Linux right away so bought the alpha sandbox too soon. :-(

I might have to buy a Windows 8 installation and install it on one of my hard drives. I'm hoping I can install it onto a USB drive so that I can just dual boot.

Archived