Foraging, fishing etc.

marcushasfun

Firstly, let me say I am enjoying myself so far.

One thing I don't like is the way foraging, fishing etc. is implemented. Basically all the survival tools that cause the screen to fade to black, fast forward time.

With foraging especially, it seems ridiculous that I can collect firewood even I am nowhere near any source (you know, like trees etc.) I need to be at an ice hole to fish, so why don't I need to be near a source of wood to gather it? I did;t try it yet but I'm pretty sure I could forage for fir wood inside the hydro-electric dam buildings :) I'd rather I had to point at a wood source and forage it. So I could point at a chair inside a building and chop it up, or a tree outside etc.

For fishing, why not let me cast my line down the ice hole and then sit there fishing? It would be relaxing and add to the gameplay.

Even melting snow, yes there is snow everywhere, but at least make me find a pot or bucket, collect the snow and bring it to the fire.

It seems like a lot of survival activities in this game about survival are currently given this rather perfunctory treatment.

Are you considering expanding on this part of the game or are you set on the fade-to-black-fast-forward-time implementation you have now?

Firstly, let me say I am enjoying myself so far.

One thing I don't like is the way foraging, fishing etc. is implemented. Basically all the survival tools that cause the screen to fade to black, fast forward time.

With foraging especially, it seems ridiculous that I can collect firewood even I am nowhere near any source (you know, like trees etc.) I need to be at an ice hole to fish, so why don't I need to be near a source of wood to gather it? I did;t try it yet but I'm pretty sure I could forage for fir wood inside the hydro-electric dam buildings :) I'd rather I had to point at a wood source and forage it. So I could point at a chair inside a building and chop it up, or a tree outside etc.

For fishing, why not let me cast my line down the ice hole and then sit there fishing? It would be relaxing and add to the gameplay.

Even melting snow, yes there is snow everywhere, but at least make me find a pot or bucket, collect the snow and bring it to the fire.

It seems like a lot of survival activities in this game about survival are currently given this rather perfunctory treatment.

Are you considering expanding on this part of the game or are you set on the fade-to-black-fast-forward-time implementation you have now?

I like your ideas about ice fishing. It would also be cool if they could implement the ice fishing tool that allows you to leave behind a hook and line then when a fish bites, a flag is tripped. It would be much like a rabbit snare!

...With foraging especially, it seems ridiculous that I can collect firewood even I am nowhere near any source (you know, like trees etc.) I need to be at an ice hole to fish, so why don't I need to be near a source of wood to gather it? I did;t try it yet but I'm pretty sure I could forage for fir wood inside the hydro-electric dam buildings :) I'd rather I had to point at a wood source and forage it. So I could point at a chair inside a building and chop it up, or a tree outside etc...

Yes, it's strange you can forage for wood where there is no wood around. This is a known issue, foraging should take into account the area where you're at. Foraging in the middle of Mystery Lake should either not be possible or take much longer representing the time needed to get to a source of wood.

It's not possible to forage for cedar/ fir inside buildings including the dam. You can forage inside, but you only get a limited amount of reclaimed wood. Reclaimed wood represents the wooden furniture you break down, not visually represented in game (yet).

You might find sitting in your chair watching the screen while fishing relaxing, I would find it rather boring. Fishing IRL may be relaxing (for some people), but just sitting there watching the screen waiting for a fish to bite is not my idea of a fun game.

It would be much more realistic if you had to find a pot, get the snow and put it on the fire yourself. But it would also get very old quick, considering the amount of water we need. Even a large 5L pot would only produce 1L of water on average when filled with snow. Having to go through the motions of filling the pot and putting it on the fire for every liter (quart) might be fun at first but after having done it a hundred times probably not so much.

Changing how these mechanisms work would be a lot of work but you're not the only one asking for it so it may be done at some point.

Archived