Inventory Sorting and UI

logang

Would it be possible to alphabetize the inventory? I understand that it currently puts the most recently picked up items at the bottom, but I just think alphabetizing it would make it a bit easier to navigate. What does everyone else think?

Guest Alan Lawrance

Not hard to do, and most likely a good change to make. One other thing I'm adding soon is a filter for First Aid items.

We'll discuss the alphabetize idea!

I had some thoughts last night on how I'd change the inventory system to make things a little easier/quicker to navigate and use.

1. Tabbed Filtering
    • Icons to represent filters (all, food, medical, clothing, material, etc)
    • Material is the currently active filter which gives it an expanded state
    • Computer: click tabs to change filter; Controller: Shoulder buttons to move left/right
    • Sorting (not pictured) [alphabetic, by weight, by popularity (usage)] Computer controls: dropdown?; Controller: Triggers to switch/invert

[*]Filtered Inventory List

• Items are displayed graphically, with their tile size being determined by weight; Quantity is displayed in corner
  • One item will always be in active state (currently "Nail")
  • Horizontally scrollable
  • Computer controls: mousewheel to scroll, click to select, double-click to use/equip (shortcut); Controller: Left thumbstick to navigate, "A" to select

[*]Selected Item

• Display item details for focused item.
  • "Use" is equivalent to ["Equip", "Eat", "Drink", etc]
  • Computer: number is input field with basic validation (1 >= n <= total), click to use/drop; Controller: d-pad up/down to increment numbers, "X" to use, "Y" to drop

inventory-interface.thumb.jpg.f14a23824e

• Hinterland

Nice ideas, Ray! Thanks for taking the time to articulate them so clearly.

We've been thinking about the various ways to improve the UI/menu system for inventory. What we have now is functional with a basic layer of aesthetics, but not as far as we'd like to take it. In fact, UI/HUD in general is an area we expect to continue investing time in moving forward.

The Tabbed Filtering is something we already have (technically) using our dropdowns. Adding icons is simply a graphical treatment on this functionality. Will probably happen.

I've always liked the graphical approach but it doesn't scale nicely when you have dozens of items (even accounting for duplicates). One thing that's missing from our treatment now (we just haven't had the UI art bandwidth to finish this part) is all the gear item portraits.

Definitely something we'll keep working on. These are great ideas -- thank you. (Have you done this before?)

Yea, I've done things similar to this a lot. I'm a web developer with over a decade of experience. My girlfriend is a creative director with even more experience (but on the design side). We both have worked with major corporations as well as with creative/ad agencies.

Looking forward to seeing the direction you end up taking things.

Just to add my crap, but this is a very clunky aspect of the game. if we have to live in a world of constantly accessing our inventory it needs to be tight. Most of the game interaction is eating food, improving clothing options, and making fire and related aspects of such. inventory system has to be tight as heck.

• 2 weeks later...

I do like that quick view of items worn [i never notice when my jeans wore off completely and I've been running around the fields naked in the game)

Compass: While it would make keeping track of directions easier, I think it would be counterproductive to the experience -- part of the experience is navigating by instinct or recognized locations. One part I [sadistically] enjoy is how easy it is to lose bearings and get lost during a blizzard... I've overshot my expected destination many times and ended up walking in circles (which is probably what would happen in real life too)

Temperature: again, nicer to have [easier] -- but info is available in panel. One nice thing with it display however would be to see if windchill is less facing different directions, or when hugging closer to landscape cover while traveling.

Other interfaces do look much more accessible for usage.

Personally I like all the graphical approaches you've shown in the examples -- but then again I'm not a regular gamer, so what makes it easier for me to use would probably ruin the challenge experience for others.

Very nice screen panel usage and layout

Amazing work arrayknight! I do quite a bit of ui for work myself and this is really well thought out. However my personal feeling about UI in first person game is "less is more" especially in this game, points below.

1. remember that McKenzie is lost in the woods after a plane crash, he has no compass, furthermore, after these strange solar events we don't know if a compass will even work.

2. the screen starts to really get cluttered, it's nice to have some of this info but if you want to know where the sun is, look up.

3. no map, making it way too easy. after a few runs I started to orient myself with landmarks just like I do when I go to new campsite or town.

that being said, I really love your inventory and physical status layout. as long as I can hide that away and enjoy the game I'm happy. I just hate the feeling that I'm piloting a robot, not a guy who is lost in woods after an indescribable natural event.

Hear ya! and I don't want to dismiss your awesome work here, you are really a pro at layout and end-user logic but... remember there is no internet, no TV, and no radio after the solar event. Essentially McKenzie is technology blind. In my opinion, that is a very appealing aspect of the game. I can turn off my phone put the head phones on and just drift through the forest. My only concerns are food, warmth, rest, hydration, and however I can get it. Just opinions here and I mean no insult you have clearly been an amazing contributor here and it is duly noted :]

• Hinterland

Awesome to see all this thought put into ideas for UI/HUD!

In general, the goal with UI/HUD is to put more info into the world and have less in traditional menus and HUD elements. Also, the post-digital nature of the world means we'll avoid the use of a lot of "readouts".

So, think along the lines of more diegetic feedback, less the traditional fighter aircraft HUD style you see in most FPSs.

Some great ideas in here though! We'll be making an announcement related to UI soon that I think will excite you guys quite a bit. I know I'm excited. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived