Way too hard to shoot a deer

tclementdev

Is it just me or with the latest updates, it became ridiculously difficult to shoot a deer? I tested this by reloading my saved game several times so I could made about 10 shots and I could hit the deer only 1 out of 10. Every time the deer was perfectly aligned with the rifle. Sounds like a bug. Considering the ammo is so scarce, it becomes really difficult to harvest meat/hide/gut and craft new objects (snares, lines, etc...) which probably causes a balance problem in the game. Any opinion on this?

yes i find it hard too to kill a deer thats why i usually get the deer to the wolf..the wolf does the job and then ill either kill the wolf or scare him off with a flare:-) but yes your right i did the same thing practicing shooting deer and i was TERRIBLE..haha....so yes i think the devs need to take a look and test this...i know its not easy hunting irl but hey lets be honest...deer or wolf shot once with a rifle is 99% dead right? any hunters out there that can back me up with this?

Yes and even beyond the realism argument, imagine a player who has 5 bullets and misses all 5 shots, how is he going to feel? Very frustrated with the game, I suspect.

My suggestion: make it as easy as before to shoot an animal, every shoot is a kill, however the animal may not die right away and you may have to either shoot it some more or follow the animal until it dies. That would be pretty good I think.

I might be wrong but I think the only sure way to kill a deer with one shot is only with a headshot since the last updates.

You probably have wounded it, so you need to follow the blood trails to find and harvest the animal.

EDIT : Since v.166 : "Introduced chance of "Kill Shot" when hitting wildlife in chest and neck"

I might be a ridicolous bad shooter but I've also blasted away at plenty of deer without killing anything.I felt that I was making headshots and I fear that the deer hunting is becoming pixelhunting. I might just need practise.

But as the game stands now why kill deer at all?

Isn't wolf meat calorie count as good as deer and don't they also supply us with gut and hide? They are supereasy to kill as the like to walk close to you real slow until their attack dash. Also you're making the game zone safer for yourself when you're thinning out the wolf population.

Can anyone tell me what the benefit of killing a deer is compared to wolves?

Best, Andreas

They give more food ? 8,2 kg compared to 5 kg-ish I think, I´m not sure.

In any case the best scenario you want is lead the wolf to the deer and then kill the wolf as well(I´m not sure scaring him away is good)

On my current playthrough I got a wolf to kill 2 deer for some reason.Huge benefit.Still eating that to this day.

We had a good discussion of this in another thread viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2433&p=13697#p13697

and I hope this is going in the right direction.

Here is an an image where you should aim to reliably kill almost any 4 legged mammal

http://www.hunter-ed.com/images/drawing ... organs.jpg

I would always aim at a line where the front leg and the middle line of the torso cross.

Shots in the brain or vertrebra is also lethal, but hunters avoid those unless those shots can reliably hit. I know it can be a bit frustrating in the beginning but the developers are looking for ways to make the game more challenging without doing anything stupid. This is imo perfect and will be more rewarding once you learned where to aim.

It was 1 shot = 1 kill in the previous versiuns and I dropped close to 100% from a rested position. That's not ideal unless difficulty is Easy.

Archived