Auto save after every shot

Gooseboy

Just how it saves after an animal attack, there could be an autosave after firing either of the fire arms and even shooting arrows. It would prevent players from exiting after missing a shot, or after enraging a bear 😀. 

Excessive autosaving was a huge problem for my system with Fallout 4... corrupting numerous character save files before I caught onto the recommendations being given by the community on Bethesda's website to basically disable all autosaving (even by opening the pip boy before exiting the game to disable the auto-exitsave feature).  The way saving works in survival mode in that game is also a frequent complaint made by players of that game since all 3 individual progression saves can easily be corrupt before the player realizes it's happened.  In TLD, we only have 1 save to work with AFAIK.  I'd hate to see Hinterlands bring in circumstances where the game is autosaving constantly just so people can overtly concern themselves with whatever other people are doing in their own single-player game.  If people what delude themselves into thinking they are a higher percentage shot than they are by forfeiting whatever progress they've made in the game to save a single bullet, I say let them.  It's not my concern.  If the game corrupts a 500-day save and I lose it all on the sketchy notion that such behavior is being prevented, that IS my concern.

This gets a "no" from me.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

@Gooseboy
I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating.

I think this really just comes down to player choice.  I think the current triggers for auto-saves are just fine the way they are.  The Long Dark is all about player choice.  If we don't like certain aspects of how the game can be played, we can just choose not to play that way.  As to the specific case you mention... no one can really stop people from "save-scumming" and I don't think we should be calling out to the Hinterland Team to try to make that impossible... if they did then we would be drowning in auto-saves every few seconds (which I don't think would be a good answer).

If we don't like idea of reloading the game if we miss a shot... we can just not do that, and if other people do... who cares?  We don't need the team to make changes to the game, instead we can just choose not to play the game in that way.  Honestly, I've learned more about ways to "game the system" from these forums... I'd never be likely to figure them out myself, because I choose to play the game in a rather straight forward fashion. 

I say let it be player choice, let's allow folks play the game however they chose.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

Guest kristaok

This is a HUGE No from me! Let people play the Game the way they want to play, that's how I see it. If someone wants to reload a Save to not miss a Shot, that is their business. Also, having too many Saves all at once after literally every Shot wouldn't be a good thing, I just feel like that could cause some issues with Save Files and PC stuttering Idk... I just think this is an over-all BAD IDEA.

Gotta agree with others here. An autosave after every shot of a distress flare, arrow, rifle show, revolver shot... that satisfying "Blam blam blam" from the revolver turning into "Blam saaaaaaaaaave blam saaaaaaaaaaaaaave blam saaaaaaaaaaaaaaave" would really interrupt the flow of the game, and make the pacing feel terrible iMHO.

• Upvote 4

Sorry but echoing the sentiments of the others, I think this would be far too disruptive to the gameplay experience.  If someone is dedicated to save-scumming to avoid consequences or to never miss a shot, they will just resort to save-game editors or mods after someone (inevitably) figures out how to make them work again.  Saving after every shot doesn't contribute anything to the game, and would just damage the experience for everyone else.

• Upvote 3