Put charcoal away

UTC-10

When I harvest charcoal from a campfire or stove, I really would like to not end up holding a piece in my hand.

Sure it is easy to hit "H" to put it away, but we don't end up with a stick in our hand when a branch is broken down or a chunk of cedar or fir wood in hand when chopping up a limb. All the charcoal pieces should go into inventory leaving the hand free. 

Okay I had sworn to myself I would post something. Thanks for reading.  :)

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

Sure it is easy to hit "H" to put it away, but we don't end up with a stick in our hand when a branch is broken down or a chunk of cedar or fir wood in hand when chopping up a limb. All the charcoal pieces should go into inventory leaving the hand free.

Speaking to your examples: wood (cedar/fir) and sticks, neither of those are "equitable" items so they can never be seen in the hands anyway.  I see what you are getting at though, and overall I suppose can agree with your general sentiment.  However, pressing H is not terribly incontinent for me... so I'm fine either way.

Edited by ManicManiac

9 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

What doesn't make sense is that we're having to carry several pounds of burnt wood around in our packs to scrawl crudely drawn maps with in the first place.

I rather like the charcoal mapping system...  I don't really see this as an issue.  There are a lot of things that could be argued are found in real life but not this game... but this game is also not real life.  After all it could be reasonably assumed that actual "atlas" type maps should exist, but they don't.

The idea is figuring out how to get by with the things that the world does provide, not necessarily about all the things we think the world could/should provide. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

I actually have to agree here with the OP. I would prefer that charcoal taken from a stove or burned out fire not be automatically equipped in my hand by default. Especially when I am indoors, where I cannot do any mapping. No, hitting [H] is not that hard, but if I am already holding something, like a lantern in that hand, it could potentially cause a bug where both items are now equipped in that hand.  I would prefer the charcoal go to inventory when taken from a stove or burned out fire, and if I want to map, I can use the radial to select Cartography, and click the upper charcoal icon to pull a piece out. 

Upvoted.

Guest kristaok

It's better to be able to Draw Maps than to not, I remember when there was no Maps... Anyway I kind of wish we could be shown our Location on the Map in Survival Mode like we can in the Story Mode.

It used to be for cedar and fir pieces after chopping a limb that they would be scattered on the ground, along with any tinder plugs that may have resulted, and have to be picked up piece by piece. That was way back in early access and was changed to automatically go into inventory because it was a real bother. I think people were chopping up limbs then walking away and forgetting the pieces of wood were still on the ground. 

Most suggestions tend to involve Hinterland having to come up with new graphics, new processes and a lot of thought to implement. In this case, having all the charcoal go into inventory might be, dare I say, "easy to implement".  :)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

In this case, having all the charcoal go into inventory might be, dare I say, "easy to implement".  :)

Perhaps, but probably not as easy as the player tapping "H" (or the controller equivalent) :D 

Don't get me wrong though, sure it would be convenient... but it's also not terribly inconvenient for me to just put it away after I've "harvested" it.  So, I'm good either way.  Besides, for me... I find the drop zone for items to be far more inconvenient:

Edited by ManicManiac

On 6/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, FrozenCorpse said:

You mean to tell me that of the 27 Gazillion pencils on Earth (and other writing implements not susceptible to extreme cold), there's a complete absence of any of them on Great Bear? 

You have to remember that HL admits to forgoing on some "realism" to encourage other gameplay elements.