ajb1978

What can't you do?

Recommended Posts

So I'm on a mission. Total domination.  Every buffer memory, every note, every cairn....break down everything (with the exception of my chosen safehouse for each region, because shelves are useful).  But I just can't.  I just can't trash Jeremiah's cabin.  That poor old hermit, living the sweet life, free of responsibility free and clear out in the wilderness.  I don't know where he is, but I just can't ruin his house.

Anyone else have anything they just can't bring themselves to do?

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

So I'm on a mission. Total domination.  Every buffer memory, every note, every cairn....break down everything (with the exception of my chosen safehouse for each region, because shelves are useful).  But I just can't.  I just can't trash Jeremiah's cabin.  That poor old hermit, living the sweet life, free of responsibility free and clear out in the wilderness.  I don't know where he is, but I just can't ruin his house.

Anyone else have anything they just can't bring themselves to do?

Contains fan-theory / possible spoilers for unreleased content:

I like jeremiah and all.. nice enough guy.. but I don't know about "poor old hermit, living the sweet life, free of responsbility..".  He strikes me as more the

"Special Forces  ROAD, officer type".. the kind who would keep in touch with military mucky-mucks with a short-wave radio and get called in to secure sensitive payloads when they crash-land in his neck of the Canadian wilderness.   Too bad he didn't know the case was in Mackenzies' pack the whole time!  You can bet he'll be lookin' for Will once he finds another radio to contact HQ with.

  Go ahead, Hulkster! "AJB SMASH!"  😄

As for things I can't bring myself to do... Play straight Stalker or Interloper, I guess...  I need to get my Fire Master badge and I'll need to pick from one of the presets cuz custom sandboxes don't count towards it, but Stalker gives me too much loot and Interloper, not enough.  I know I'm gonna wind up caving in and joining the ranks of the Lopers but it seems like so much WORK babysitting needs and resources alla time!  And cabin fever!  Ugh!  Please! Plus I like to pack some heat out there.  A BOW?? Man... who do I look like?  Frikkin Grizzly Adams??  ..Actually, I kinda do...

I guess we all have our crosses to bear... LOL.. playing a video game is my cross...!  That sounds so pathetic! 😝

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think mine is starving.

If I'm on low or zero calories and I find food... I eat it. I know I should wait until bed time to be efficient, but... I can't.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave an animal unharvested. I've gotten frostbite in my obsession to harvest every hide from every animal I kill.

 

Why do I need a 300th wolf pelt? the first 299 wasn't enough? I have enough guts to make mountain climbing rope. enough rabbit pelts to make a giant rabbit. Yet i keep collecting them. I'm onto my 18th bear pelt. I don't even use the bear coat.

Edited by TheEldritchGod
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seconding starvation/thirst, unless I'm on Interloper. I guess it doesn't really feel like "survival" when I'm walking around slowly dying because I'm not supplying myself with adequate food and water.

I also once nearly completed the Whiteout challenge, got mauled by two wolves, took shelter in a house, and died in my sleep because I was too distracted by healing from the wounds to pay adequate attention to hunger or thirst (can't remember which). It was so annoying that I never want it to happen again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

Contains fan-theory / possible spoilers for unreleased content:

I like jeremiah and all.. nice enough guy.. but I don't know about "poor old hermit, living the sweet life, free of responsbility..".  He strikes me as more the

  Hide contents

"Special Forces  ROAD, officer type".. the kind who would keep in touch with military mucky-mucks with a short-wave radio and get called in to secure sensitive payloads when they crash-land in his neck of the Canadian wilderness.   Too bad he didn't know the case was in Mackenzies' pack the whole time!  You can bet he'll be lookin' for Will once he finds another radio to contact HQ with.

  Go ahead, Hulkster! "AJB SMASH!"  😄

As for things I can't bring myself to do... Play straight Stalker or Interloper, I guess...  I need to get my Fire Master badge and I'll need to pick from one of the presets cuz custom sandboxes don't count towards it, but Stalker gives me too much loot and Interloper, not enough.  I know I'm gonna wind up caving in and joining the ranks of the Lopers but it seems like so much WORK babysitting needs and resources alla time!  And cabin fever!  Ugh!  Please! Plus I like to pack some heat out there.  A BOW?? Man... who do I look like?  Frikkin Grizzly Adams??  ..Actually, I kinda do...

I guess we all have our crosses to bear... LOL.. playing a video game is my cross...!  That sounds so pathetic! 😝

I agree, but I was thinking more JTF2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No limits here. 

Good luck on your mission @ajb1978.  I recently accomplished those tasks on my 1200+ day run...needed something to pass the days!  Cairns were by far the hardest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Go up to the Destroyed Forestry Lookout in ML. Even though I know there can be some good loot up there.

Sentimental reasons, nothing more.

20160721093205_1.thumb.jpg.74a4e899b2c777d73360fb4ccdd44feb.jpg

Because you miss the old one. maybe?  If it makes you feel any better, the Forestry Dept. demolished the old one on purpose when they decided to build a new tower with a better vantage point on a higher hilltop so hikers and locals wouldn't play around on the old structure and possibly hurt themselves since the FD wasn't going to continue maintenance of the facility... C'mon.. get up there and get ur can opener and pork n beans! :)

Edited by FrozenCorpse
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna change my response to the threead since I will probably HAVE to play 'loper eventually...

I'll say.. I can't not do ALL the side missions that are available in Story mode.  When it comes to the story, I am a completionist, all the way (and, Yes, I'll use the wiki to see if I missed anything once I appear to be done).

Edited by FrozenCorpse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Trapper's cabin mostly because it was where I realized the actual air temp in an indoor space makes a difference.  But what I can't bring myself to do is destroy the chair in my base camp.  doesn't make one bit of difference that I can't actually USE the chair. :D Oh and cross the trestle bridge.  Nope, still have trauma from that glitch that existed the first time I tried to cross it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jolan said:

I love Trapper's cabin mostly because it was where I realized the actual air temp in an indoor space makes a difference.  But what I can't bring myself to do is destroy the chair in my base camp.  doesn't make one bit of difference that I can't actually USE the chair. :D Oh and cross the trestle bridge.  Nope, still have trauma from that glitch that existed the first time I tried to cross it.  

Jolan, Jolan, Jolan... You get over to that trestle and YOU CROSS IT.  Then turn around and CROSS IT AGAIN!  Then turn around, cross it again, and get on with gettin' on!

I have a keyboard with sticky keys. Especially the "A" key for some reason, so I know how you feel about unexpected things causing your death.. But this isn't like that anymore!  So... walk around on some railroad tracks until you have a good sense for where your feet are.. (stepping up and down off the rails).. then turn the sound down on your headset so you don't get all creeped out by the creaking sounds, and "one foot in front of the other" until you get to the hazard.  The trick with the broken trestle - and I have crossed it a dozen times if I've crossed it once - is to keep your vision forward until you think you're almost to the point where you should stop and rotate your character.  Then look around and inch forward just enough that the turn seems almost a left or right turn.  Then you turn to face the direction of the shimmy, and walk a step or two until the next rotation seems right.  You stop.. check you position, rotate your character so they are headed to a point further ahead but in line with the section of track they'll be walking on, and walk forward.  It's not bugged anymore!  You'll be fine!

P.S. - if you die, I never said anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

P.S. - if you die, I never said anything.

:D thanks for the tips, but if I fall through I'm haunting you

Edited by Jolan
brevity
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jolan said:

:D thanks for the tips, but if I fall through I'm haunting you

I would love the company!  There's already some ghosts here to keep you company if you should fail!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Go up to the Destroyed Forestry Lookout in ML. Even though I know there can be some good loot up there.

Sentimental reasons, nothing more.

20160721093205_1.thumb.jpg.74a4e899b2c777d73360fb4ccdd44feb.jpg

For sure! I have owned this game for three years now, and I remember back when the Destroyed Lookout was the OG Lookout, and every time you'd climb to the top it would play my absolute favorite song in the game. Not to mention the beautiful view of course. And for some reason, I could never live with myself if I left the door open... ahh, the memories...

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

For sure! I have owned this game for three years now, and I remember back when the Destroyed Lookout was the OG Lookout, and every time you'd climb to the top it would play my absolute favorite song in the game. Not to mention the beautiful view of course. And for some reason, I could never live with myself if I left the door open... ahh, the memories...

Well put.  Then untrodden the summit of the OG forestry watch tower shall remain - in your game and mine - until pancakes are in the game!   To this, I solemnly swear!

(I mean, they GOTTA  add pacakes at SOME POINT.. no?  Who doesn't have pancakes in their survival game??).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FrozenCorpse said:

Well put.  Then untrodden the summit of the OG forestry watch tower shall remain - in your game and mine - until pancakes are in the game!   To this, I solemnly swear!

(I mean, they GOTTA  add pacakes at SOME POINT.. no?  Who doesn't have pancakes in their survival game??).

Honestly, I haven't gone up to the Destroyed Lookout too much since. I don't know why, it's just my way of paying it my respects. It's the one place that doesn't deserve to be looted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Honestly, I haven't gone up to the Destroyed Lookout too much since. I don't know why, it's just my way of paying it my respects. It's the one place that doesn't deserve to be looted...

LOL.. I lost track and thought I was still responding to PancakeLady's posts... hehheh.. all the same... I'm not going back until I'm warm & content from a meal of Flapjacks and hot coffee!.

Edited by FrozenCorpse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

LOL.. I lost track and thought I was still responding to PancakeLady's posts... hehheh.. all the same... I'm not going back until I'm warm & content from a meal of Flapjacks and hot coffee!.

*Heh heh heh... my evil plan to Pancake The World is taking hold! Silver Dollar pancakes first... soon- Full Stacks with rivers of Real Maple Syrup, EVERYWHERE!*

That will be all.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming now... 

 

And yeah, seriously. The old Forestry Lookout was my very first long term base in the game, when I got it in 2016. My first... so, sentimental reasons keep me from going up and seeing it fallen down. I've been wearing the screenshot I posted as my Steam avatar, in memoriam, ever since the update that made the change. I went up a few times, just after the change, and decided after a few visits, never to go there again, no matter how desperate my character was to find a rope or a rifle. That place is Sacred ground to me, never to be looted, or dirtied with campfire remains.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason I never been able to eat the MREs that much, I always plan to save them for "That desperate time" but that never seems to happen to me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 4:31 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

*Heh heh heh... my evil plan to Pancake The World is taking hold! Silver Dollar pancakes first... soon- Full Stacks with rivers of Real Maple Syrup, EVERYWHERE!*

That will be all.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming now... 

 

And yeah, seriously. The old Forestry Lookout was my very first long term base in the game, when I got it in 2016. My first... so, sentimental reasons keep me from going up and seeing it fallen down. I've been wearing the screenshot I posted as my Steam avatar, in memoriam, ever since the update that made the change. I went up a few times, just after the change, and decided after a few visits, never to go there again, no matter how desperate my character was to find a rope or a rifle. That place is Sacred ground to me, never to be looted, or dirtied with campfire remains.

I’m with you 100%. You couldn’t have put it better. May we have a eulogy for our beloved tower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now