What can't you do?

ajb1978

So I'm on a mission. Total domination.  Every buffer memory, every note, every cairn....break down everything (with the exception of my chosen safehouse for each region, because shelves are useful).  But I just can't.  I just can't trash Jeremiah's cabin.  That poor old hermit, living the sweet life, free of responsibility free and clear out in the wilderness.  I don't know where he is, but I just can't ruin his house.

Anyone else have anything they just can't bring themselves to do?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Leave an animal unharvested. I've gotten frostbite in my obsession to harvest every hide from every animal I kill.

Why do I need a 300th wolf pelt? the first 299 wasn't enough? I have enough guts to make mountain climbing rope. enough rabbit pelts to make a giant rabbit. Yet i keep collecting them. I'm onto my 18th bear pelt. I don't even use the bear coat.

Edited by TheEldritchGod
  • Upvote 4

Seconding starvation/thirst, unless I'm on Interloper. I guess it doesn't really feel like "survival" when I'm walking around slowly dying because I'm not supplying myself with adequate food and water.

I also once nearly completed the Whiteout challenge, got mauled by two wolves, took shelter in a house, and died in my sleep because I was too distracted by healing from the wounds to pay adequate attention to hunger or thirst (can't remember which). It was so annoying that I never want it to happen again.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

Contains fan-theory / possible spoilers for unreleased content:

I like jeremiah and all.. nice enough guy.. but I don't know about "poor old hermit, living the sweet life, free of responsbility..".  He strikes me as more the

Hide contents

"Special Forces  ROAD, officer type".. the kind who would keep in touch with military mucky-mucks with a short-wave radio and get called in to secure sensitive payloads when they crash-land in his neck of the Canadian wilderness.   Too bad he didn't know the case was in Mackenzies' pack the whole time!  You can bet he'll be lookin' for Will once he finds another radio to contact HQ with.

Go ahead, Hulkster! "AJB SMASH!"  😄

As for things I can't bring myself to do... Play straight Stalker or Interloper, I guess...  I need to get my Fire Master badge and I'll need to pick from one of the presets cuz custom sandboxes don't count towards it, but Stalker gives me too much loot and Interloper, not enough.  I know I'm gonna wind up caving in and joining the ranks of the Lopers but it seems like so much WORK babysitting needs and resources alla time!  And cabin fever!  Ugh!  Please! Plus I like to pack some heat out there.  A BOW?? Man... who do I look like?  Frikkin Grizzly Adams??  ..Actually, I kinda do...

I guess we all have our crosses to bear... LOL.. playing a video game is my cross...!  That sounds so pathetic! 😝

I agree, but I was thinking more JTF2.

• Like 1

I love Trapper's cabin mostly because it was where I realized the actual air temp in an indoor space makes a difference.  But what I can't bring myself to do is destroy the chair in my base camp.  doesn't make one bit of difference that I can't actually USE the chair. :D Oh and cross the trestle bridge.  Nope, still have trauma from that glitch that existed the first time I tried to cross it.  

9 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Go up to the Destroyed Forestry Lookout in ML. Even though I know there can be some good loot up there.

Sentimental reasons, nothing more.

20160721093205_1.thumb.jpg.74a4e899b2c777d73360fb4ccdd44feb.jpg

For sure! I have owned this game for three years now, and I remember back when the Destroyed Lookout was the OG Lookout, and every time you'd climb to the top it would play my absolute favorite song in the game. Not to mention the beautiful view of course. And for some reason, I could never live with myself if I left the door open... ahh, the memories...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FrozenCorpse said:

Well put.  Then untrodden the summit of the OG forestry watch tower shall remain - in your game and mine - until pancakes are in the game!   To this, I solemnly swear!

(I mean, they GOTTA  add pacakes at SOME POINT.. no?  Who doesn't have pancakes in their survival game??).

Honestly, I haven't gone up to the Destroyed Lookout too much since. I don't know why, it's just my way of paying it my respects. It's the one place that doesn't deserve to be looted...

4 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

LOL.. I lost track and thought I was still responding to PancakeLady's posts... hehheh.. all the same... I'm not going back until I'm warm & content from a meal of Flapjacks and hot coffee!.

*Heh heh heh... my evil plan to Pancake The World is taking hold! Silver Dollar pancakes first... soon- Full Stacks with rivers of Real Maple Syrup, EVERYWHERE!*

That will be all.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming now... 

And yeah, seriously. The old Forestry Lookout was my very first long term base in the game, when I got it in 2016. My first... so, sentimental reasons keep me from going up and seeing it fallen down. I've been wearing the screenshot I posted as my Steam avatar, in memoriam, ever since the update that made the change. I went up a few times, just after the change, and decided after a few visits, never to go there again, no matter how desperate my character was to find a rope or a rifle. That place is Sacred ground to me, never to be looted, or dirtied with campfire remains.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 4:31 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

*Heh heh heh... my evil plan to Pancake The World is taking hold! Silver Dollar pancakes first... soon- Full Stacks with rivers of Real Maple Syrup, EVERYWHERE!*

That will be all.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming now... 

And yeah, seriously. The old Forestry Lookout was my very first long term base in the game, when I got it in 2016. My first... so, sentimental reasons keep me from going up and seeing it fallen down. I've been wearing the screenshot I posted as my Steam avatar, in memoriam, ever since the update that made the change. I went up a few times, just after the change, and decided after a few visits, never to go there again, no matter how desperate my character was to find a rope or a rifle. That place is Sacred ground to me, never to be looted, or dirtied with campfire remains.

I’m with you 100%. You couldn’t have put it better. May we have a eulogy for our beloved tower?

When getting to the point of breaking down most of the  furniture in PV farmhouse during a long run. I can't bring myself to break down th baby's cot/crib .

It just doesn't seem right for some reason , which even I find strange as I'm not a father irl. But i still get a strong emotional reaction with the solitude of this game and the slow errosion of what it means to be human without technology . It just somehow with this one item seems a step too far toward turning your back on humanity.

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

I can't throw reclaimed wood into a fire.

'I'll just save this for making snares. After all, there's plenty of sticks around, right? No need to waste this, I'll just pop it in this container... oh, huh. Already full with 20 kg of reclaimed wood? ...Time to start a new container!'

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 12:38 PM, sierra 117 said:

When getting to the point of breaking down most of the  furniture in PV farmhouse during a long run. I can't bring myself to break down th baby's cot/crib .

It just doesn't seem right for some reason , which even I find strange as I'm not a father irl. But i still get a strong emotional reaction with the solitude of this game and the slow errosion of what it means to be human without technology . It just somehow with this one item seems a step too far toward turning your back on humanity.

You can break down the baby's crib?? I thought that was impossible!

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I can't throw reclaimed wood into a fire.

'I'll just save this for making snares. After all, there's plenty of sticks around, right? No need to waste this, I'll just pop it in this container... oh, huh. Already full with 20 kg of reclaimed wood? ...Time to start a new container!'

I save them, but never use snares. rocks are so much quicker and easier. It's always bothered me that the snares look like cedar when you're done crafting them too and you can't use fishing line to craft them. 

As for things i never do, I never go anywhere without a bedroll and an emergency stim. 

Edited by MarrowStone

Guest jeffpeng
8 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I save them, but never use snares. rocks are so much quicker and easier.

Most people think snares catch bunnies running through them. This is not true. In fact a snare is a very small interdimensional portal. Small enough for a bunny, but sadly not much else. Although due to high amounts of Hawking radiation when passing the Einstein-Rosen-Bridge bunnies sadly almost always arrive dead. The few that make it live happily ever after ... until someone hits them with a stone.

Also what I really cant bring myself to is leave anything useful behind. I am a compulsive hoarter. I'm always playing for that 10000 days game, when my actual record is clean 500 days (and after that I just stopped playing the dude). I really have to force myself to not bring that 4th hacksaw from 3 maps away because IN THEORY I could come to a point where my other 3 hacksaws are worn out, and I am out of scrap metal to repair them.

Edited by jeffpeng

On 6/12/2019 at 2:03 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Nothing.  Everythng became fair game after I killed my first rabbit.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, yvr said:

I can't kill a rabbit with my bare hands. I can't. Just can't.

I'll keep letting the snares do the dirty work.

This was the worst. Not only could I never even hit the little scrubs with a rock in the first place, but I could never bring myself to do the deed even when I got to them in time. Those eyes!

I have no time for snares now. The rabbit hitbox size has gotten gigantic and I am much better with the stone. Plunk, snap. Plunk, snap. Although, I still have to mute that awful sound they make when you kill them. :rabbit:

I would say now, the only thing I just can't bring myself to do is leave things in unorganized piles. All my stuff needs to be in containers or organizes on shelves, and if I have water or meat on the ground, it has to be lined up in rows. Sticks and wood need to be in separate stacks. All skins on the floor must be lined up nicely.  Yeah... I know.

305620_screenshots_20190911222502_1.thumb.jpg.d79a735a0f17ebd8a4664368373a7afa.jpg

305620_screenshots_20190926221408_1.thumb.jpg.a44b4a70e48e0f20716a410d3063eaf6.jpg

• Upvote 2