Sign in to follow this  
FrozenCorpse

The Icebreaker 10...

Hey everybody.. I've been playing for quite some time... took a break back when TC's The Division 1 came out to play it with my kids... Then I logged a ton of hours in Hello Games' NMS... Now, I'm back to redo Episodes 1 & 2 so I'm all caught up when 3 rolls out.   I enjoy role-playing as a Ranger-camper / outdoor enthusiast.  Do a little fishing.. snare a rabbit or two.. sit (stand) by the campfire listening to a moose steak sizzle on the griddle.. the loons calling from afar and wait for the light show...

Here's my Icebreaker 10:

1. What's your preferred experience mode right now?  --  I'm presently finishing up Luminance Fugue Redux, but I prefer  sandboxing with scant resource availability but having the opportunity to find anything in-game eventually (so I chose medium BRA and knock the other settings down to their minimums)..
  2. What's the longest you've survived?  -- I checked my journal and it looks like I reset stats at some point because the only stats showing are for more recent play-throughs (might have happened when I got a new rig). If I had to guess, I'd say 200ish?  I can't remember if I ever tried to make a run at surviving a year.. Could be as low as 175 or thereabouts too... I'm not one for continuing if I've got too much gear laying around early on.
  3. What's your favorite region?  -- Tough choice.. I get a good vibe from MT because I really like GreyMother.  She's one sassy mamma-jamma with a heart-breaking backstory.  But who doesn't like ML and all the nostalgic familiarity?... I haven't finished getting my Fire Master badge yet but, once I do, I'll either role-play in the MT basin, or in HRV.  Probably the MT basin since the Hermits' cabin has a tent-like structure and is on the water.  I can always trek up to town for supplies now and then if need be...
  4. Bow or Rifle?  -- Both, but using them selectively, of course.
  5. Have you tried any Challenges? Which was the hardest?  -- Not yet, but I will.  Especially if it turns out that fires started will count towards my Fire Master badge.
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears?  -- I'm still traumatized from The Old Bear and tales of a demon bear... I don't think that will be wearing off any time soon.
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without?  -- Matches.
  8. Do you have any Badges?  --  All but Fire Master.
  9. Favorite item of clothing -- Moose-hide satchel?  Does that count?  I'm something of a hoarder... :( Second and third place runner-ups... Mackinaw jacket and Cowichan sweater (sweater, if I had to choose)...
  10. Luckiest moment  --  Huh... lucky... I'm not particularly lucky... I do remember when I first got the game and I was stumbling around ML trying to find shelter in the middle of a blizzard.  I was in a very bad way.. health meter around 6%.. I might have already had my heartbeat in my ears... and suddenly, out of the blinding, wind-swept snow.. appeared the heavenly facade of the Trappers' cabin!  I could have kissed the ground!  That is some gaming joy I have rarely ever felt:  If ever.  I knew then that all hope was lost.  I was hooked.  Give me that, "Your're gonna die.. you're gonna die.. you're dying... you're almost dead... you're de.. WAIT!  You MADE IT!!!"  good, good feelin'..!

I'll be seein' y'all around... if we ever cross paths, step up to the campfire and I'll fix ya a cuppa Joe.  You want a little somthn somthn in that?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
  1. What's your preferred experience mode right now?  --  I haven't played it in a few Months, I kind of got bored of it. I started playing TLD in 2016ish... anyway, I mostly played on Pilgrim or Voyager.
  2. What's the longest you've survived?  -- Probably around 200 Days give or take, but that's easy since I usually play on Easy.
  3. What's your favorite region?  -- Mystery Lake and Mountain Town probably. I love having many Shelters to choose from. But oddly I do REALLY like that small Hut on Timberwolf Mountain. 
  4. Bow or Rifle?  -- Bow.
  5. What's scarier, wolves or bears?  -- They're both Scary... so I can't choose! 
  6. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without?  -- Probably something to start a Fire with, I also make sure to take a little bit of Water, Food, and my Bow.
  7. Do you have any Badges?  --  All of them.
  8. Favorite item of clothing -- I really love the Furs, and the Satchel.
  9. Luckiest moment  --  I have had quite a few, I would say my luckiest moment was getting past the hella hard Bear Fight in the Story Mode. 
Edited by kristaok
  • Like 1

Sure, I'll play.

1. What's your preferred experience mode right now?  --  Custom.  I like a 4x time of day modifier, because it lets me actually multitask game actions with real life.  Like start cooking dinner in the game, then literally get up and start cooking dinner IRL, knowing I have a good 10-15 minutes before I have to check on my game food.  Also crank loot density to the maximum, because that's what's the most fun.  Finding goodies! 
  2. What's the longest you've survived?  -- Somewhere in the 1300's.  I still have the save too, I just started over to experience the new shooting mechanics, and make sure I could acquire a decent amount of Revolver ammo through looting.
  3. What's your favorite region?  -- Coastal Highway.  Hunting, fishing, beachcombing, coal, and not far from a forge.  Only downside is lack of proper cooking...there are no good caves to set up as bear processing stations, and everything in the region is only one or two cook surfaces.
  4. Bow or Rifle?  -- Rifle.  That BOOM is just satisfying.
  5. Have you tried any Challenges?  Completed all of them.  I don't find any of them particularly challenging, unless I add additional requirements such as speedrunning.  I sometimes play challenge modes if I'm interested in a short-term throwaway game, then I don't have to worry about long-term resources.  It's an entirely different style of play.
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears?  -- I wouldn't say either of them are truly scary, but wolves cause me to jump a little if the warning bark comes unexpectedly.  It's right up there with the unexpected sprain surprise, really.
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without?  -- Initially, some sort of firestarter.  Later after I have a base in every region, a weapon is the only thing I must have.  Used to be the bow, but I'm a revolver fan now.
  8. Do you have any Badges?  --  All of them, including 4DON
  9. Favorite item of clothing -- Moose-hide satchel, for its utility.  Although I do like the look of the wolfskin coat.
  10. Luckiest moment  --  The start of my last run.  I spawned in BR right outside the hunting lodge, and a moose was like right there.  I went inside the lodge, and found a rifle, some ammo, and enough clothing to cover all my extremities.  I went back outside and dropped the moose with one shot, straight away.  So basically I started the game with a rifle and moosehide satchel, and more meat than I knew what to do with.
  • Like 1

Just in case anyone's wondering, I didn't come up with those questions.. they're from here:

which can be found on page 7 of the introduce yourself forum at the time I posted...

Hi :) and nice to meet you :)

1.   What's your preferred experience mode right now?  I have no depends on my mood when I start playing, lately it has however been the challenges to give me  goal and force me out of my comfort zone. 
  2. What's the longest you've survived?  around 150 days I die the most stupid ways.. 
  3. What's your favorite region?  I think most areas have some fun to them however my homebase is always mystery lake. 
  4. Bow or Rifle?  Gun :)
  5. Have you tried any Challenges? I have done 1 completed started others. 
  6. What's scarier, wolves or bears? None, moose are my scariest beast.. 
  7. What's the one item you'd never leave your base without? that stupid large pot.. O.o so I can boil loads of water.. and a weapon and some firestarter thing.. but the pot is the worst thing ever.. 
  8. Do you have any Badges?  --  Only the one were you sprint alot..
  9. Favorite item of clothing -- the ski mask even if its creepy.. O.o 
  10. Luckiest moment  --  when I was just passing tru an area and had left my gear at home base, got food poisning form a can of sadines, passed out, and made it.. with just luck back to home base. with just a 0.1% of my life left.. and the time I walked out of a house in costral highway right into 2 wolfs,  beaten them off then a bear came and I had to hide in a car and get my bandage and such on.. 
  • Upvote 1