Alcoholic beverages

CSLooney

Guest kristaok
On 10/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, Eylhardt said:

Prevent cabin fever?

Cheers!🍺

Exactly :P

On 10/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, peepercreeper said:

maybe it could be a replacement for painkillers? (when you dont have any of course)

Yessss this!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

hmm. It seems to me that the biggest problem people have with this idea, is introducing the concept of over-indulgence.

What if it was only available in miniatures, like you might find in a hotel or something? Or, what if there was a limit of 1 shot to be consumed in a 24 hour period?

I agree that alcohol should not be glorified, but neither should it be demonized. 

I also agree that alcohol shouldn´t be used in the game as a "strength potion". However, when a small amount is added to a cup of herbal tea, and provided you happen to be in a safe place with enough fuel for the whole night, you would have a very restful night´s sleep.

I´ve only known 1 person who might get drunk from 1 shot of alcohol and he happened to be allergic to it. I, also, don´t know of anyone who would have a hangover from such a small amount of alcohol.

I´m sitting squarely on the fence with this one. I can see the ups and the downs. If, and it´s a big IF, the devs decide to include alcohol. They would have to have a very good reason, and they would have to be extremely careful with implementation.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MrsHoneypot said:

hmm. It seems to me that the biggest problem people have with this idea, is introducing the concept of over-indulgence.

What if it was only available in miniatures, like you might find in a hotel or something? Or, what if there was a limit of 1 shot to be consumed in a 24 hour period?

I agree that alcohol should not be glorified, but neither should it be demonized. 

I also agree that alcohol shouldn´t be used in the game as a "strength potion". However, when a small amount is added to a cup of herbal tea, and provided you happen to be in a safe place with enough fuel for the whole night, you would have a very restful night´s sleep.

I´ve only known 1 person who might get drunk from 1 shot of alcohol and he happened to be allergic to it. I, also, don´t know of anyone who would have a hangover from such a small amount of alcohol.

I´m sitting squarely on the fence with this one. I can see the ups and the downs. If, and it´s a big IF, the devs decide to include alcohol. They would have to have a very good reason, and they would have to be extremely careful with implementation.

I really don't see a good point for adding it.  My son was very recently in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.  He's lucky to be alive.  IMO, it should absolutely be demonized.

I'm sorry that a scumbag chose to get behind the wheel of a car and that the result was your son's injury.

Alcohol didn't do that. Human choice did that. An incredibly dangerous choice. 

Once again, I'm sorry for your family's pain.

I know how alcohol and addiction can destroy lives. My aunt was an alcoholic, she died of liver failure, thankfully she never had a driving license. My cousin, by a different aunt, died of a drug overdose, he had been using for 20 years and developed schizophrenia because of it.

I personally drink very little these days, maybe one or two beers at the weekend (one on Friday, one on Saturday). When my husband and I go out, we choose who drives home and that person doesn't touch a drop.

Getting back to alcohol in the game. I'm still on the fence. But, leaning towards, it doesn't do anything for gameplay.

3 hours ago, MrsHoneypot said:

I'm sorry that a scumbag chose to get behind the wheel of a car and that the result was your son's injury.

Alcohol didn't do that. Human choice did that. An incredibly dangerous choice. 

Once again, I'm sorry for your family's pain.

I know how alcohol and addiction can destroy lives. My aunt was an alcoholic, she died of liver failure, thankfully she never had a driving license. My cousin, by a different aunt, died of a drug overdose, he had been using for 20 years and developed schizophrenia because of it.

I personally drink very little these days, maybe one or two beers at the weekend (one on Friday, one on Saturday). When my husband and I go out, we choose who drives home and that person doesn't touch a drop.

Getting back to alcohol in the game. I'm still on the fence. But, leaning towards, it doesn't do anything for gameplay.

Thank you for your kind words.  I realize that it was the person that made a bad choice.  The fact is, though, that drinking in TLD would be a poor choice.  While the subject feels warmer, they would be colder in their sleep since alcohol dialates the blood vessels and the body loses heat more quickly.  So, if the person drinks a alcohol laced tea  before retiring to improve their rest and their fire goes out, the game should reflect that they actually freeze more quickly AND be less able to wake/respond to that drop in temperature.

I honestly cannot see a way that it should be made to "enhance" gameplay while being frank and honest about what it does... as opposed to propagating age-old myths about it.