4-slot cooking

Sunwolf

2 hours ago, Sunwolf said:

We have 1-slot cooking options, 2-slot cooking options, and 6-slot cooking options.  I'd like to see some 4-slot cooking options.

The Hunter's Lodge in Broken Railroad has 4 slots (2 in the stove and 2 in the fireplace).  You can light both with one match by pulling a torch from the first one you light and using it to light the second.

In addition, the Camp Office has 3-slots (2 upstairs and 1 downstairs).  The Paradise Meadows Farm and Gray Mother's house has 8 slots (6 in the stove and 2 in the fireplace).  In any cave, it's possible to light as many fires as you want.  The sheltered stoves in the broken houses (e.g. logging camp in Mystery Lake, ) will allow a campfire or more to be started right next to the stove and wind is seldom a problem in those locations.

Lots of options already in the game, IMO.

That's a good idea. I think some abandoned homes contain electric stoves which are (for the moment) unusable, even with the aurora out? Not certain how many plates they have- maybe 4 or 2- but it'd be nice to have more options available at any rate, even if they're only active during a flare-up.

I've discussed something similar in another thread so I will echo it here:

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:06 AM, ManicManiac said:

I made a wish list thread a little while back about requesting to be able to breakdown burned out campfires.  I think that keeping the cooking slots on campfires limited makes more sense from a gameplay stand point.  I mean if you can just plop down a 4 or 6 slot campfire... then it would devalue those precious 6 burner stoves.  Besides... two cooking slots are generally more than enough for your day-to-day needs.  Seems to me the only reason to use more than two slots is for batch processing water or trying to boost your cooking skill quickly (which is just as easy to do at a six burner stove... or as other's mentioned plopping multiple campfires in a cave someplace).

I don't really see a need for more cooking slots on a campfire.

To the specific topic discussed here:

I don't really see a need for a 4-slot cooking surface.  Keeping the 6-slot stoves relatively rare I think is a good gameplay choice.  As I mention above, having 2 cooking slots is generally more than enough to for your day-to-day needs.

Edited by ManicManiac

Perhaps if the amount of wood needed was scaled to the number of cooking slots available?

Outdoor fires already give you longer burn times on wood used than indoor fires do. A single, small pot-belly stove should need less wood to reach cooking temps than a 6 burner stove, if we are talking about "realism" here. For gameplay and balancing, I don't think needing 6x the wood in a 6 burner stove, as in a single burner stove, or a 2 slot campfire makes sense, but 3x the wood to heat up all 6 burners, and 2x for 4 slots, compared to heating up 1 or 2 might. With that said, I don't think we need 4 slot cooking surfaces, but I do understand the QoL appeal it has for some.

Yeah I don't think we need 4-slot cook surfaces either.  The hunting lodge actually has 8 cook surfaces btw--6 on the stove, 2 on the fireplace.  Both Farms (Pleasant Valley and Paradise Meadows) have a whopping 10 cook surfaces to use.  6 on the stove, 2 on the indoor fireplace, and 2 on the outdoor fire pit.  Although you can turn any cave into a pretty effective kitchen as well by starting up a ton of fires.  Even the little outdoor office in the Maintenance Yard, you can cram a bunch of campfires in there on the floor.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to melt snow simply by placing a pot of snow near the fire, not on a cook surface.  Similar to how you can reheat a beverage by placing it near a fire.  It just takes longer than doing it on a proper cook surface.  In this way, you could melt your snow while you cook, instead of having to prioritize one over the other.  Boiling should still require a cook surface.  But this strikes me as a complicated thing to properly code, that would have pretty minimal gameplay returns.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Yeah I don't think we need 4-slot cook surfaces either.  The hunting lodge actually has 8 cook surfaces btw--6 on the stove, 2 on the fireplace.  Both Farms (Pleasant Valley and Paradise Meadows) have a whopping 10 cook surfaces to use.  6 on the stove, 2 on the indoor fireplace, and 2 on the outdoor fire pit.  Although you can turn any cave into a pretty effective kitchen as well by starting up a ton of fires.  Even the little outdoor office in the Maintenance Yard, you can cram a bunch of campfires in there on the floor.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to melt snow simply by placing a pot of snow near the fire, not on a cook surface.  Similar to how you can reheat a beverage by placing it near a fire.  It just takes longer than doing it on a proper cook surface.  In this way, you could melt your snow while you cook, instead of having to prioritize one over the other.  Boiling should still require a cook surface.  But this strikes me as a complicated thing to properly code, that would have pretty minimal gameplay returns.

I went back to check the Hunting Lodge... I thought for sure that was a 2-burner stove there; but you're right, it is a six-burner one.  As for the others, I was intentionally not counting the outdoor ones there  since going to them and from them causes a loading screen.

44 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I went back to check the Hunting Lodge... I thought for sure that was a 2-burner stove there; but you're right, it is a six-burner one.  As for the others, I was intentionally not counting the outdoor ones there  since going to them and from them causes a loading screen.

Fair enough.  I include them personally, because outdoor fires burn longer, so they're great for boiling water.  Use the interior fires for meat, outdoor fires for water.  Saves fuel. :)