Intro: Storm Without End

It's been about three months since I been on Timmberwolf, it's been pretty relaxing since then. I mostly been inside reading books by a fire, while only going outside every now and then to hunt deer, and gather up more fire wood. The wolf population in Pleasant Valley seems to by dying down a bit aswell, I have killed a few whenever I go out, but it seems most of them decided to move on to somewhere else. Thing have been relatively calm for a while, atleast until this past week...

1.thumb.png.41ece215ecd4117cfdaca95a35fbcb32.png

There has been this blizzard that has lasted for almost a week now. Pleasant Valley has always been known for it's bad weather, but this is something else, and it's worrying me. I'm running out of food, I need to go hunting, but this blizzard is giving me a hard time doing so. I need to move to a different region maybe things will be calmer somewhere else. The blizzard seems to have theses pauses that last for only an hour, next time it happens I will move. Just hoping that happens before this storm starves me out...

2.thumb.png.008e0c3dce272e857d978fc2c7bad1de.png

• Upvote 3

Part 1: The Great Escape

The storm died down a little next morning. It was early morning, and still pretty dark out, but this was likely going to be my only chance to leave so I had to take it. I quickly packed up my bow, revolver, and what little food I had remaining, then head out. I look at the cruddy map that I had drawn and decide to go to Mystery Lake, I had about one hour to get to the dam.

3.thumb.png.8ebc025fa9cbad9f55311b48b2e9174e.png

Once I made it to the cave, I head in lantern in hand. I better not get too lost in here otherwise I would be wasting time. Fortunately I made it to the other side in record time, well atleast record time for me. Outside the weather was starting to pick up again, the storm was returning, it was time to go full turbo toward the dam. The jog toward the dam was uneventful but still horrifying with the wind getting stronger, and the snow falling more and more. Just as I make it to the emergency exit, the storm goes back into full force, in the worst possible spot aswell. My only way in was to shimmy across the dams ledge again, the first time was bad enough, but now I had a monster blizzard to fight against while crossing. I couldn't head back to the cave as that would take too long, so I take a deep breath and slide onto the dame ledge. The redeeming thing was the wind was being pointing toward the dam, if that weren't the case I would have fallen off without a doubt.

5.thumb.png.7b2659f5ca58ccb3db748c84a1d69714.png 

Once on the other side I quickly hop through the broken window, and into the shelter of the near indestructible dam. I sit on the floor and let the adrenaline settle. I'm never going through that way again. After I calm down I head through the dam, the "exciting" part was over now. Once I made it the emergency I smack it with my hatchet in anger, making me go through that... How dare it... Once I make it to the upper part and find the exit I open it and take a look outside, as expected the storm was still out there. I close the door again, looks like I have to stay in here until it calms down again. I just hope that there is enough food in here until that happens.

6.thumb.png.69d0417c3f5215ff7aecf527a4f11092.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Part 2: Safe and Sound

After some time searching the various lockers, desks, and anything else that could be searched, I found very little in terms of edible food, and what little I did find nearly gave me food poisoning just from looking at it. One thing I did find that was somewhat interesting was a combination safe inside the main control control room. If I wanted to get that thing open I would need a combination. I head upstairs to the main office room and search the bosses room, if anybody had he combination I assumes it would have been him.

8.thumb.png.b8b65f08f906f7791850bccb943dbd6e.png

Spending some time flipping through the files inside the desk I find a folder, inside that was a small posted note at the corner of a paper detailing the safe the a combination. The combination was 29-04-19, great now time to check that safe. I input the combination, it worked. I open the safe and inside was just a lousy book. I tossed the book aside in frustration, then again what was I expecting to inside, an MRE? I slumped against the wall, as I sat there heard something strange. Well to be more exact I didn't hear anything, no wind, did the storm settle already?

7.thumb.png.8c008cbfac1859bde7a88a280d653636.png

I head towards the main exit and took a peak outside, the storm was settled now. Strange, I was only inside the dam for about two hours. I can't let this opportunity slide, I have to make my way to the Cabin Office, I remember I set up a temporary base there. I walk outside, the snow was still falling quite heavily, maybe Mystery Lake will be calmer Pleasant Valley? I can't get too hopeful.

9.thumb.png.889c089e04679a3833812d97d82f0981.png

As i'm walking towards the cabin I notice the complete lack of animals. Not only are the wolves gone, but no deer were seen either. I guess this storm has scared them all off, that's bad if that's the case, how will I get food? The cabin only has maybe a few days worth of food last time I was there. Then it fits me, fish. Fish should be nice and and calm under that ice that is protecting them from the madness going on up here. I make it to the cabin off and let myself in, as much as I would like to have the rest of the day off I can't. I unload anything I don't need, check to see the food storage, still stocked to way I left it, good. I head back outside fishing tackle in hand, time for another fishing trip.

10.thumb.png.30e08cf915d1a8ac419e290a12d63b05.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Part 3: Late Preparation 

Normally the lake is crawling with wolves, not anymore. It seems that my theory on the animal population is true, all the animals are gone as of right now. Hopefully the fish will be biting good today. I walk over to the closest fishing hut, break the ice blocking the fishing hole, and cast away. I haven't gotten much better at fishing, but it's either this or live on cattails for the next few weeks.

11.thumb.png.383c560839377b0b0435a73a60fcdcee.png

After a few hours of fishing I noticed the wind and snow starting to get more aggressive, the storm was rearing up for another round. I did manage to get a few good catches, should last me for some time. I pack up the fresh fish and head back, it was getting quite late so it was hard to see, the snow didn't make that much easier. after getting near the office I make a quick stop to pick up a few cattails, I know I said I didn't want to eat these, but my choices are quite limited right now.

12.thumb.png.f773cd2a848329e3f61e354245dae621.png

Once I made it back to the cabin, I head upstairs to start up the fire so I can cook these fish. While I was cooking I looked out the window, I could barley see anything out there, but I did see that the storm did indeed pick up again. Seems like it's more calm down here, but not by much. While staring out the window I got an idea, I remember a while ago I heard rumors about some sort of bunkers people build that they would load with supplies for survival, I think it might be worth it to take a look in the cabin to see if there are any clues to where these bunkers are, or even if they exist at all. That would have to wait until morning however, now was time to have a good night sleep.

13.thumb.png.e5a4790ed8fc317f105b9185cf3c63e7.png

• Upvote 1

Part 4: Bunker Hunt

The next morning I spent some time searching through the filing cabinet to see if it mentions anything about those supply bunkers. After a few hours of searching I found a map and a document detailing the construction of these bunkers, i'm honestly a little surprised that there is some amount of truth to those rumors. I read over the paper, to put it short it seems they were planning to building nine different bunkers across Mystery Lake, and it also mentions a few are planned to be put in Pleasant Valley. all of them would contain different sorts of supplies, like tools would be kept in one bunker, while weapons and ammo would be in a different one. However according to the map, it seems they only managed to finish making one of them in Mystery Lake, the rest were labeled "Not started". I put the map inside my bag and look outside, the weather seemed to be pretty good, I could even see the sun, so off I went.

14.thumb.png.a63d7936edd3f6cec2f863986c73a9f8.png

According to the map the bunker was north-east of the logging camp, and it was labeled as a "Ration" bunker, just what I needed.  After lots of walking along the half buried railroad I made it to the road leading to the logging camp, I take another look at the map, yep still heading the right way. I continue up the road. While walking I remembered something the document said, it mentioned more bunker were possibly in Pleasant Valley, it didn't say much more than that however. I spent most of my time there but I never seen any of those bunkers, however considering that they only managed to make one bunker here it's very likely that they didn't make any over there. When I get back I might have to look more into that, but for right now i'm stuck here in Mystery lake thanks to the monster blizzard going on.

15.thumb.png.dd2bd544d049287112dc25c7a7cade12.png

Walking past the logging camp I take one last look at my map, they really wanted to hide these bunker as best as possible. I head up towards where the bunker was marked. After a small climb up a narrow hill I spotted a hatch, I guess that's my bunker, hopefully they got around to putting those rations inside it. I walk up the hatch and try to turn the handle, quite impressively it wasn't frozen shut, so I hoped inside.

16.thumb.png.8485af9c461888cd8924f5d5ceebeef4.png

The bunker was cramped and messy with papers and wood scattered around the floor. In-front of me was a small hall leading to a room, I turn on my lantern and head inside. To my surprise and glee the room did have a good about of food, canned good, energy bars, and plenty of MREs. There was enough to last me a few weeks, and by then the storm would surely be over. I packed my back as much as I could, I wasn't able to carry everything but i'm fine with that, I could always come back to get the rest some other day. I try to head back outside, but it seems the storm had picked up again. Oh well... I suppose I could wait it out in here.

17.thumb.png.3c180722cb0b8ffd5c6b7055d887adea.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Part 5: Ruined Tower

I spent the night inside the bunker, it wasn't the most pleasant sleep I ever had, I think even the time I rested at the side of a cliff face was better than tonight. I can't dwell on that however, I have things to do, like hauling all these supplies over to the cabin. I climb up the ladder to take a peak outside, the weather was reasonable enough so I climbed outside. I decided to take a small detour toward a water tower, I wanted to take a huge look over the area to see if there really are no animals left in this area.

18.thumb.png.9f2b045efec9f6ce5a0951860766f77e.png 

After a quick ascent up the hill I arrive at the tower, or atleast what was left of it. The tower was completely destroyed, it fell over somehow. Did the storm cause this? Seems to be the only way this could happen, not like a bear would chew at one of the legs to cause the tower to fall. I look over ruins of the tower, I saw some guy laying dead in the snow, I wonder if that guy was inside the tower when it fell, poor way to go. I spotted another tower that was still standing off to the south on another hill. I head back down the path that I climbed up to head to the more lucky tower.

19.thumb.png.edb835379f64d8f48321e724e5cb2bfa.png

Yet another hill to climb, but I get to the top. After my climb I take a look over the tower, mainly I check over the legs to see if there were still strong, I didn't plan on dying in a falling tower. The legs looked to be in good condition so I head upstairs to take a look around the area. I pull out a pair of binoculars to scan the area, no wildlife was spotted other than a few dead animals, so I really am all alone right now... After losing a small bit of hope I head back down to continue my long haul, I could see the storm was on it's way again so I had to pick up the pace.

21.thumb.png.a7d31fcb6f101dcc86d85992cd02c801.png

• Upvote 1

Part 6: Left Out to Freeze

I got careless as I went down the hill in a hurry, as I was running I eventually slipped and fell face first into the snow beneath me. As I try to get back on my feet a pain shot up from my leg, it seems that I have twisted it. I struggle back up and make my way to the cabin, I was now going too slow, the storm catch up to me at this rate. I walk over to a bush with some red berries, they can treat the pain when I get back indoors. As continued my agonizing walk the storm picked right back up, and I was trapped inside it, now I needed to get back inside.

22.thumb.png.f53b1b4c8fc2f404892cefa999f0f3e1.png

I stumbled upon a frozen pond with a hunters blind, I got lost in the blizzard. My best chance of getting shelter at this rate was the small homestead off to the west of where the pond was was. I painfully walk up and down some more hills until I spotted the small but humble shack within the heavy snow. It was like finding the promised lands because of the situation I was in. I head up and let myself in, finding comfort from the lack of snow and wind inside.

23.thumb.png.4a2aa357f57ecd961b03a20ae914ae3c.png

The first thing I do when I get inside was stumble my way over to the stove at the corner and light a fire. Not only do I seek comfort in the warmth right now, but I also need to get a rose hip tea inside me right now. Once the fire was born I grab a pot next to the stove and place it on, pour some water inside and placed the berries I grabbed earlier and watched it boil. After a few minutes the water turned red, the tea was ready. I take tea and drank it, it didn't taste the best but that how all medicine is like. I place myself onto the bed and began to rest, wait for the ankle to get better.

24.thumb.png.ec190a794378867033f9609dbb0a30e9.png