Cooking pots

Revenant

A simple wish. Cooking pots are sometimes hard to come by in this game and essential for making large quantities of water and cook things faster, like meat. A way to make cooking pots from scrap metal at a forge would make surviving the quiet apocalypse a little bit easier and add in more ways to use the forge and heavy hammer.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Revenant said:

A simple wish. Cooking pots are sometimes hard to come by in this game ...

Are they? I've usually got more than I can possibly use at once within a few days of starting.

38 minutes ago, Revenant said:

...essential for making large quantities of water and cook things faster

Using cooking pots is better than not, but I wouldn't in any way describe them as "essential". Not in a life-or-death survival sense, anyway.

I do generally support the idea of having more forging options, though (bearspearbearspearbearspear)

• Upvote 1

@Revenant
I mean depending on what difficulty level you play at... there can be several cooking pots in most every region.  So far I've not played much Interloper... so I'll let the other more advanced players speak to that.

I personally don't see a need for being able to craft cooking pots.  Even when I feel like I need one, I often enjoy the game more when I feel under equipped... it motivates me to get out and explore more... and more thoroughly. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

Cooking pots can be repaired, so you only need to find one or two to be good for the entire game.  They only deteriorate if you burn food in them or boil them dry.  There are a few guaranteed spawns that I'm fairly certain appear on all difficulties (e.g. the fireplace in Gray Mother's house).  They are heavy, so I often just carry a couple of tin cans anyways.

Why not, it give more reason to use to the forge. A bowl shaped pot should be good enough for a beginner, take a round plate, hammer it, add some handles and done, can even be done cold.

For the stats, I don't really know how to make it right in the middle without making it useless or OP (Improvised knife and hatchet) cough. Why not that ?

Weight : 0.5 Kg            Can cook meat : Yes           Time reduction : 10% more than cans         Volume : 1.5 l max

5 hours ago, TheHunter280 said:

Why not, it give more reason to use to the forge. A bowl shaped pot should be good enough for a beginner, take a round plate, hammer it, add some handles and done, can even be done cold.

For the stats, I don't really know how to make it right in the middle without making it useless or OP (Improvised knife and hatchet) cough. Why not that ?

Weight : 0.5 Kg            Can cook meat : Yes           Time reduction : 10% more than cans         Volume : 1.5 l max

I doubt I would ever use it anyways, but I'm curious - Why would a home-made cooking pot be 1/2 the weight and yet still have 75% of the capacity  of a manufactured one since a manufactured one is more likely to be thinner and more consistent due to the professional processes used in making it?

I would like to have a crafted (work bench or forge) improvised pot since in my older sandboxes I tend to find most regions have none. So, obviously, I would rather have the option to not have to carry them around in order to  have a "pot" to cook meat faster, make more water at one go or have more "pots" in a given location. I would not mind if they were somewhat heavier, had the same capacity (as the current pot), and were susceptible to damage from ordinary use (it would be nice if they were then repairable, but okay if they were not). 

An improvised pot that had the same basic characteristics as the current pot (i.e. weight, capacity, etc) would probably be okay and the "improvised" nature of the pot could be that it degrades with normal use (and even more substantial degradation if water is boiled away or food burned in it). If one wanted to differentiate between a "forged" versus a "crafted" improvised pot, could be defined in how much degradation each type suffers and how they may be repaired and the material cost (to make and repair). 

But this is all wishes and while I only have two (at last count) pots in my oldest sandbox, I can get along anyway. But it would be nice.

20 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I doubt I would ever use it anyways, but I'm curious - Why would a home-made cooking pot be 1/2 the weight and yet still have 75% of the capacity  of a manufactured one since a manufactured one is more likely to be thinner and more consistent due to the professional processes used in making it?

We all know the crap they gave us with weight but an explanation is always good.

A no thicker than 2 mm plate can be shaped with a shear and a hammer, it should be good enough and the one we have is one hell of a thick boy made with a hydraulic press. Spheres are the most efficient way to turn a surface into a volume but I didn't do physics and math so can't tell with exactitude how much with the final result.

1 hour ago, TheHunter280 said:

We all know the crap they gave us with weight but an explanation is always good.

A no thicker than 2 mm plate can be shaped with a shear and a hammer, it should be good enough and the one we have is one hell of a thick boy made with a hydraulic press. Spheres are the most efficient way to turn a surface into a volume but I didn't do physics and math so can't tell with exactitude how much with the final result.

I'm interested from a perspective of game balance.  It seems to me there should not be such an inherent advantage to forging your own cooking pot.  I could see 1/2 weight and 1/2 capacity and only able to handle pieces of meat weighing 0.5 kg or less, but with a cooking time reduction equivalent to the cooking pot (-20%).  This would give me a basis for choosing one or the other (based on whether I prefer to sacrifice capacity to less weight) instead of making the home-made pot such a "no brainer."  Since many lopers advocate cutting meat into smaller pieces in order to level up cooking skill faster, I don't see how this would be a big sacrifice on their part.

Fish is yet another issue.  I would actually prefer the cooking pot be limited to cooking fish up to 2 kg (improvised cooking pot 1 kg) and then any fish caught that are heavier would have to be done on the bare cooking slot.  Alternatively, they could maybe provide an option to filet larger fish into smaller pieces.

Edited by UpUpAway95

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm interested from a perspective of game balance.  It seems to me there should not be such an inherent advantage to forging your own cooking pot.  I could see 1/2 weight and 1/2 capacity and only able to handle pieces of meat weighing less 0.5 kg or less, but with a cooking time reduction equivalent to the cooking pot (-20%).  This would give me a basis for choosing one or the other (based on whether I prefer to sacrifice capacity to less weight) instead of making the home-made pot such a "no brainer."  Since many lopers advocate cutting meat into smaller pieces in order to level up cooking skill faster, I don't see how this would be a big sacrifice on their part.

Sorry to have misinterpreted you. I intended it to be a general use cooking pot but increasing the weight by 0.25 Kg should be enough. Your idea of making it a cooking focused pot is an idea I didn't thought of, those two options can be split into two objects. Why don't I tweak it to turn it into a water focused pot ?

The only time I use the forge it's because it's a necessity not a choice, at least let me have some

Nah, we have a lot of fabric pots already. Also crafting something like this isnt very possible with limited tools. Its not a simple geometry like arrow head.

I dont support that. We can suggest more more interesting items for cooking, like rocket stove, handy indoors with no regular stove or fire place.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bruh.