FrozenCorpse

TLD Supporter Pack Ideas

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Then don't imply that I or anyone else would be upset if we bought a DLC from a dev and then a modder decided to offer something similar for free.  Don't imply that a modder would just arbitrarily do a better job of representing various cultures within a DLC.  I'm not "anti-modder"; but I don't want to see a situation like FO4 where an unofficial patch mod is what has to be used to make the game functional nor do I want to be pressured every time I go onto a website to use mods to correct issues I'm having with the vanilla game (as I am whenever I go onto the Bethesda community website).  I want the dev to stay responsible for the completeness of their game and I'll willingly purchase quality DLC from a dev because they also have the responsibility to ensure that product works within their game.  I honestly don't understand why my holding that sort of opinion would upset you.  Free modders don't have that responsibility on an ongoing basis.  They can make a mod and then choose not to update it if the dev updates the game.  I don't hold that against them.  I just want levels of support and service that only the dev is expected to give on an ongoing basis (until at least they announce that they are withdrawing support for the product)... and I don't want to see good devs run short of money, but I don't want them to be dependent on charity either.  They're a business... give me a good product and I'll happily pay for it.  What is wrong with having that attitude?

I implied nothing of the sort. You are reading into things from your own POV. And we are finished conversing here, since you seem to like to twist my words, and give them meanings they never had. :)

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

(Cringes a bit at the thought of Hopeless Rescue mashed with The Hunted part 2 mashed with Archivist mashed with Jeremiah's Survival School...)

Well hopefully these hypothetical narratives either wouldn't be brutally punishing, or would offer the option to experience them using any of the existing modes.  Like I have no problem doing Hopeless Rescue at the base Voyageur difficulty, and could probably get some enjoyment out of it at Stalker level.  But Interloper?  Forget about it.  I kick my washing machine in frustration when the load is unbalanced. I know better than to intentionally expose myself to that kind of aggravation.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I implied nothing of the sort. You are reading into things from your own POV. And we are finished conversing here, since you seem to like to twist my words, and give them meanings they never had. :)

Quoting you - "Someday there will be modding support and mods for all of this... Just saying."

I believe your "just saying" implies just that... that it is some sort of reason for HL not considering putting any work into such things because eventually modders will undercut them and put it out for free.  I'm saying if they put it out there before modding support and if it's a quality product, that shouldn't make a difference because there are gamers, like me, who have no interest in mods anyways.  If you want to wait for modding support and not buy DLC that you feel will be available for free later, that's your prerogative...  I don't and that's my prerogative.  (Just like I wanted an Official Patch to FO4 rather than that puck being passed onto the shoulders of modders.)

ETA:  I believe you also followed up on the notion of pressuring me to wait to use mods for this sort of thing rather than even suggesting the devs put out such things with a response that amounted to "you know you can mod on the Xbox..."

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

That I would actually consider buying, if they were able to make the calendar continue to change as IRL years go by, Leap Years and all. I would actually use that on my desktop.

Lots of people have asked for an art book, images from the game's early days, through current day. Not sure I would want a digital artbook, that I had to drag people into my office to share, but a beautifully bound "Collector's Edition" hardback book, that I could put on my coffee table to share with visitors (and try to make TLD converts out f them...). I would buy that in the Hinterland Store. Not sure they could make it worth their cost to produce, though. A digital art book would be more cost effective for them, but not something I would buy.

As you are probably more aware than I, Raph has stated that an Art book is something they're seriously considering.  I would imagine that any "Collector's Edition" of the game would come with some sort of Art book, and that publication would probably be available in the store for patrons who are only interested in that.  A higher-quality hardcover Art book might also be available then as well but, yeah, it wouldn't be cheap.

2 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

As you are probably more aware than I, Raph has stated that an Art book is something they're seriously considering.  I would imagine that any "Collector's Edition" of the game would come with some sort of Art book, and that publication would probably be available in the store for patrons who are only interested in that.  A higher-quality hardcover Art book might also be available then as well but, yeah, it wouldn't be cheap.

Yeah, the higher quality art book would be expensive for them, meaning expensive for us. I would probably buy a paperback edition, if that was available, but would have to insist people wash their hands and put on cotton gloves before looking at it, lol.  

And not sure why this reminded me, but it did. I still need to go grab the Skybound physical disc copy of the game for XBone. I keep forgetting to, and really should go see if I can find any vendors that actually have it in stock. Or get onto a waiting list.

• Like 1

The fan base is basically screaming "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY".

That, Hinterland, is how you know you're winning. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

An Art Book would be nice.  I'd like to see some less expensive merch options, but I think my jigsaw puzzles idea probably won't work since I did some searching and there's already a guy offering TLD jigsaws on Steam.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Any holidays you don't want to be activated by the pack could be handled via a toggle.  If they put in a bunch from different cultures, you could turn on the ones you want and turn off the ones you don't.

I do like this option as well.  I have seen something similar happen with subscriber-based games where various holiday events occur year-round.  But I do see some logistical and execution complications for something like this.  Not everyone plays online.  Hand-placing cosmetics throughout the game-world is more labor-intensive than I had in mind for supporter pack contents that wouldn't require a significant outlay of personnel resources to include.

I've very limited knowledge of game coding but I think that coding a functionality that monitors when a player is playing and then inserts hand-placed decorations throughout the game world - while it can be a good idea if it's implemented in a way that pleases pretty much everyone (i.e. toggled selections) - I think it would be prohibitive for an offering such as could be conveniently assembled from mostly pre-existing assets such as I imagine for this kind of supporter pack.  That isn't to say it isn't worthy of it being a separate DLC.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

I do like this option as well.  I have seen something similar happen with subscriber-based games where various holiday events occur year-round.  But I do see some logistical and execution complications for something like this.  Not everyone plays online.  Hand-placing cosmetics throughout the game-world is more labor-intensive than I had in mind for supporter pack contents that wouldn't require a significant outlay of personnel resources to include.

I've very limited knowledge of game coding but I think that coding a functionality that monitors when a player is playing and then inserts hand-placed decorations throughout the game world - while it can be a good idea if it's implemented in a way that pleases pretty much everyone (i.e. toggled selections) - I think it would be prohibitive for an offering such as could be conveniently assembled from mostly pre-existing assets such as I imagine for this kind of supporter pack.  That isn't to say it isn't worthy of it being a separate DLC.

I don't think being online is necessary.  My old copy of Terraria does it on my Xbox 360, which is never online anymore.  I'm pretty sure it's just tied to the console clock and will spawn items if the game is launched around specific dates.  I also don't think they are hand placed in Terraria (which is all procedurally generated worlds).  How that might be different in a set world like TLD, I don't know.

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

An Art Book would be nice.  I'd like to see some less expensive merch options, but I think my jigsaw puzzles idea probably won't work since I did some searching and there's already a guy offering TLD jigsaws on Steam.

Hinterland could offer different puzzles.. better puzzles..  still a good idea IMO, just not for a supporter pack... :)

I too would like some more affordable options in the store, but quality costs and the studio doesn't seem like the type to cut corners just to make a buck selling bogus merch.  However, I would pay for a replica of some item taken from the game-world that epitomizes TLD... a Pinnacle Peaches paperweight, an "I survived The Long Dark" iron-on decal, patch or button for some examples... But I digress.

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't think being online is necessary.  My old copy of Terraria does it on my Xbox 360, which is never online anymore.

That would seem to affirm the potential for doing similarly here.

20 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I also don't think they are hand placed in Terraria (which is all procedurally generated worlds).  How that might be different in a set world like TLD, I don't know.

Me niether.  But.. since this is a static environment, I'd think the locations for various types of decorations would need to be initially "set"  by one or more developers so items didn't appear oddly situated or in awkward places.  Eg.  A wreathe would normally appear on a door or over a fireplace for example...  The more places in each region that might be decorated, the more involved the "tagging" process.  What if the solitary house decorated in your favorite region isn't the one they chose to decorate?  If given my druthers, I'd druther decorate myself.  Even moderately decorating within each region while accounting for all the various potential holiday decorations a person could toggle "on" would be no small undertaking I think...  Good for a separate DLC, bad for a minimal-effort quickly produced Supporter Pack.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, FrozenCorpse said:

That would seem to affirm the potential for doing similarly here.

Me niether.  But.. since this is a static environment, I'd think the locations for various types of decorations would need to be initially "set"  by one or more developers so items didn't appear oddly situated or in awkward places.  Eg.  A wreathe would normally appear on a door or over a fireplace for example...  The more places in each region that might be decorated, the more involved the "tagging" process.  What if the solitary house decorated in your favorite region isn't the one they chose to decorate?  If given my druthers, I'd druther decorate myself.  Even moderately decorating within each region while accounting for all the various potential holiday decorations a person could toggle "on" would be no small undertaking I think...  Good for a separate DLC, bad for a minimal-effort quickly produced Supporter Pack.

I'd be fine with items just appearing wherever the random spawn points are and then being able to move them myself to actually decorate.  Same with non-holiday specific decorator items others have mentioned.  Someone did bring up a concern about being able to use lit objects as trail markers.  I personally have no problem with it regarding the holiday items idea since they would despawn after the holiday passed anyways.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

...Someone did bring up a concern about being able to use lit objects as trail markers...

I'm sure the devs could make it so they wouldn't work in that capacity.  They could be limited to only functioning indoors or only on or in proximity to certain structures...  if tying a ribbon around a tree (fashioned from a piece of cloth?) were to ever become "a thing", then we could decorate trees with decorative items since we could just as easily use a ribbon for a trail marker...

Edited by FrozenCorpse

Posted (edited)

Adding:

15. Jeremiah's Timberwolf Cowl -- Personally, I see Hinterland adding the recipe to the head-gear of their own accord (perhaps even as an accessory?? pleasepleaseplease?) because it just looks so friggin cool.  I suppose they could make it so the item shared stats with either a rabbitskin hat, or ear warmers as a cosmetic swap, then allow players to swap it 1:1 with the respective item already in their inventory which would then be "consumed" in the swap...?

Edited by FrozenCorpse
Rewrote the whole post

Posted (edited)

16.  Bunny Slippers -- Cosmetic Reskin for Leather shoes -- shares stats with Leather shoes, requires 1x cured leather + 1x cloth to repair; consumes a pair a pair of leather shoes from inventory 1:1 when crafted.

Edited by FrozenCorpse
changed dress to leather (shoes) and reformatted post.

Posted (edited)

17. Jeremiah's Buckskin Trench -- Cosmetic Reskin for Moose-hide cloak-- shares stats with Cloak, requires cured moose hide (&CE) for repair, Consumes one MHC 1:1 from inventory when crafted.

JerBST.jpg.abfc4ee3b5f8f749a49063c05c35d882.jpg

It kinda looks like the coat might be ..Polar Bear?... But, unless there's PB's in the future, I think the overcoat / trench cosmetic swap would be a hit

Edited by FrozenCorpse
added (&CE) meaning + cured gut etc.

Posted (edited)

18.  Fringed Buckskin Jacket -- Cosmetic Reskin for Wolfskin coat - Shares stats with WSC, requires cured wolf pelt to repair (&CE); consumes one WSC from inventory 1:1 when crafted.

Some example images:

1183346191_FringedBuckskinJacketexample.png.25a4b91a4ba959336f60d5bc671d4a7d.pngminifbsj.jpg.1a1dfa4da2ec3130f519a8527dd81754.jpg

Edited by FrozenCorpse
added (&CE)

Additions to:  (new additions in Gold)

2. Decorator Pack: (Role Players / Campers) Items placed outdoors would despawn when player exceeds a certain range so they couldn't be used for trail markers. Items set in a "camp site" could be tagged as persistent with the player permitted one active camp site at any particular time.  Reskins would be subject to the same decay that their respective counterparts were.  The view out the front of the tent would need to be identical to the snow shelter...(?).
Non-consumables (decorative):
 -  Glass of water
 -  Glass of wine
 -  Mug of beer
 -  Bottled beer
 -  Bottle of wine
 -  Steaming hot beverage (cocoa?)
 -  Plates (decorative, placeable) that function as an interactable surface that players can place food items on.
 -  Place setting (silverware, decorative)
 -  Dream catcher wall or window Hanging
 -  Mounted Bleached Elk Skull - Wall plaque / Trophy (from MT, Paradise Meadows Farmhouse bedroom)
 -  Functional wall-mounted 2-3-slot gun rack (Perhaps with pegs for revolver display too?)
 -  Stained Glass Sun Catchers  / Window Ornaments
 -  Functional (audible) Wind-chimes
 -  Mounted Fish Trophy (Could have a selection of them, with the largest being only accessible to players who have unlocked the "It was THIS Big!" achievement).
 -  Mantle & Wall-mounted trophies & plaques for completing challenges (unlocked / accessible once the Challenge is completed for that account).

Previous suggestions / ideas combined into an updated / reformatted version of Supporter Pack Ideas List (with a few minor additions):

1. Reskins:  Purely cosmetic, items are repairable as their original counterparts and harvest into the same mats as those host items.
 -  Tent reskin for the Snow Shelter (same crafting components, looks like a mountaineering tent with a fly).
 -  Skillet (functions with the same stats as the cooking pot)
 -  Jeremiah's knife (limited possibility for spawn of his knife per play-through: Same stats & durability as combat knife)
 -  Hinterland merch appearing in spawn tables swapped out for their respective counterpart in-game items (toggled?)
 -  Jeremiah's Timberwolf Cowl -- Rabbitskin hat reskin -- Shared stats with either a Rabbitskin hat (or ear warmers), then allow players to swap it 1:1 with the respective item from their inventory which would then be "consumed" in the swap.  Harvesting product & repair mats requirements identical for RSH,
 -  Bunny Slippers -- Cosmetic Reskin for Leather shoes -- shares stats with Leather shoes, requires 1x cured leather + 1x cloth to repair; consumes a pair a pair of leather shoes from inventory 1:1 when crafted.
 -  Jeremiah's Buckskin Trench -- Cosmetic Reskin for Moose-hide cloak-- shares stats with Cloak, requires cured moose hide (&CE) for repair, Consumes one MHC 1:1 from inventory when crafted.

-  Fringed Buckskin Jacket -- Cosmetic Reskin for Wolfskin coat - Shares stats with WSC, requires cured wolf pelt to repair (&CE); consumes one WSC from inventory 1:1 when crafted.
  -  Country Breakfast -- MRE reskin -- e.g. Platter of flapjacks, bacon / sausage, eggs, steaming cup of coffee..
(persists until fully consumed) Could have different meals,
2. Decorator Pack: (Role Players / Campers) Items placed outdoors would despawn when player exceeds a certain range so they couldn't be used for trail markers. Items set in a "camp site" could be tagged as persistent with the player permitted one active camp site at any particular time.  Reskins would be subject to the same decay that their respective counterparts were.  The view out the front of the tent would need to be identical to the snow shelter...(?).
Non-consumables (decorative):
 -  Glass of water
 -  Glass of wine
 -  Mug of beer
 -  Bottled beer
 -  Bottle of wine
 -  Steaming hot beverage (cocoa?)
 -  Plates (decorative, placeable) that function as an interactable surface that players can place food items on.
 -  Place setting (silverware, decorative)
 -  Dream catcher wall or window Hanging
 -  Mounted Bleached Elk Skull - Wall plaque / Trophy (from MT, Paradise Meadows Farmhouse bedroom)
 -  Stained Glass Sun Catchers  / Window Ornaments
 -  Functional (audible) Wind-chimes
 -  Mounted Fish Trophy (Could have a selection of them, with the largest being only accessible to players who have unlocked the "It was THIS Big!" achievement).
 -  Mantle & Wall-mounted trophies & plaques for completing challenges (unlocked / accessible once the Challenge is completed for that account).
3. Holiday Items Decorator Pack:
     - (Game-generated?) Holiday decorations: Stockings on fireplace mantles, wreath?  Christmas tree(?) It would be awesome to put up a tree and have it lit during an aurora?!  Maybe even appropriate music on radios during the holidays...
     - Holiday food item swaps from regular food loot tables: Valentines' chocolates, Christmas Sugar Cookies, candy canes, Peeps, Candy corn, etc.
     - Multi-cultural Holiday recognition (OP recommends predominantly Canadian influence / theme)
     - Possible items: Jack-o-lantern & Sparkler Torch reskin; Crafted from same recipe as torch or can choose swap-out of fire-pulled torches, identical illumination with unique visual appearance / animation.  Exterior use: items revert into torches once burnt out to deter using them as trail markers. noise-makers, party-poppers w/ streamers or confetti..
4. Role-playing / Functionality
 -  RP Functionality:  Sitting on tree-stumps and chairs (possibly technically complicated).  Would love to sit when I role-play camping, mend or handcraft... (could even be added to game later in an update, but given to supporters earlier)
 -  RP Functionality:  Functional coat racks (no benefit to drying, same as floor or surface drying.
 -  RP Functionality:  Store hatchet stuck into wood (stump, bough, downed tree..).
 -  RP Functionality:   Lean rifle against things vertically.
 -  RP Functionality:   Wall-mounted 2-3-slot gun rack (Perhaps with pegs for revolver display too?)
5. Misophonia toggle:  Eating audio swapped for barely audible variants.
6. Elegy Visual Poem
7. Select Episode Intro Trailers cinematics Collection (possible complications where additional music licensing fees are concerned).
8. Game designer & Co. Interviews Collection. Meet the GD & Devs
9. Identity-secure behind-the scene Studio tour.
10. TLD Inspirations (collection of images and video montage designers utilized for creative inspiration for Great Bear and TLD).
11. Meet the voice actors: (Interviews with or short video highlights of the process).
12. Gag reel (funny glitches, fun in the recording studio, etc.).
13. Custom Wallpapers from Studio image sources and Art Dept. with full selection of resolutions.
14.  Poster-size printable images of the maps and posters seen within the game itself (Large Format images which supporters could bring to their local print shop and have printed on large paper, or scale the images down and print them at home on personal printers).
15.  Digital calendar made up of posted images and wall calendars seen in-game.

Personally, I can't agree with either PancakeLady or UpUpAway.

Mods are meant to make an intolerable game tolerable. TLD is far from an intolerable game. The fact that the devs are actively adding new things like the updated cooking system, and then fixing the flaws of the cooking system when they appear shows that there's no purpose for mods. The devs are actively interested in making a great game, and making improvements to the game. To undercut their efforts with mods negates the whole point and purity of what they are doing, and I wouldn't want to slap them in the face like that.

As for DLC content, I'd rather be able to earn (EARN) new skills, new weapons, new traps by achieving feats in game rather than throwing my wallet at the game. I abhor the practice and believe wholeheartedly that DLC packs are corrupting the purity of gaming. We game to practice escapism from the atrocity that is capitalism, and DLC packs are rampant capitalism. It's like having carcinogens packed inside cancer treatments. It's dumb, and it makes the games not worth playing, or purchasing for that matter.

Both of those ideas, in my opinion, would be poisonous to the greatness The Long Dark has. If either one was implemented, I couldn't even play the game on principal.

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, Crakkerjakked said:

Personally, I can't agree with either PancakeLady or UpUpAway.

Mods are meant to make an intolerable game tolerable. TLD is far from an intolerable game. The fact that the devs are actively adding new things like the updated cooking system, and then fixing the flaws of the cooking system when they appear shows that there's no purpose for mods. The devs are actively interested in making a great game, and making improvements to the game. To undercut their efforts with mods negates the whole point and purity of what they are doing, and I wouldn't want to slap them in the face like that.

As for DLC content, I'd rather be able to earn (EARN) new skills, new weapons, new traps by achieving feats in game rather than throwing my wallet at the game. I abhor the practice and believe wholeheartedly that DLC packs are corrupting the purity of gaming. We game to practice escapism from the atrocity that is capitalism, and DLC packs are rampant capitalism. It's like having carcinogens packed inside cancer treatments. It's dumb, and it makes the games not worth playing, or purchasing for that matter.

Both of those ideas, in my opinion, would be poisonous to the greatness The Long Dark has. If either one was implemented, I couldn't even play the game on principal.

Mods are made because people can ~ and because other people create them. 

DLCs ~ I see nothing wrong with a company earning revenue unless an addition is priced the same as the actual game.

Neither are something you're required to purchase, download, or use to poison your personal gaming experience. 

Whether others do so has no bearing on what you do ~ nor should your preferences set the standards for anyone else.

If I'm honest, any game that doesn't come with a disk/hard copy that you can reinstall when you choose (without being dependent on the internet or a separate gaming site is a much bigger corruption of gaming than DLCs and/or mods ~ which is the reason I own very few 'Steam' games. As for this game, I've got little interest left unless/until modding is turned loose (and have said so for over a year now). The game is phenomenal, but I find very little immersion from pretending to be a sailboat in high winds or trudging for an hour of real life time because I'm carrying things from one region to another and the game doesn't know what a sledge or travois is (or little Canadians took their plastic sleds with them when they left the island), or I can't weave baskets from all those tails with no cats so I can have needed storage, or do something other than wear my hatchet down with those brooms lounging in corners.

People like different things. People aren't required to like what others like. Because you are happy with the game as it stands is a rather bizarre reason to stop playing it when/if either a DLC is released, or modding is supported. 

For the OP ~ I'd love food variety. It wouldn't necessarily have to change leveled lists … but a can of green beans, or chicken noodle soup, or hot chocolate would be awesome in place of pork and beans, tomato soup, or just tea and coffee. I would happily pay for a food pack 🙂

Added "Food Pack" to Reskins for in-game food items (sharing identical stats with their respective counterparts):

On 7/5/2019 at 8:21 PM, FrozenCorpse said:

1. Reskins:  Purely cosmetic, items are repairable as their original counterparts and harvest into the same mats as those host items.
 -  Tent reskin for the Snow Shelter (same crafting components, looks like a mountaineering tent with a fly).
 -  Skillet (functions with the same stats as the cooking pot)
 -  Jeremiah's knife (limited possibility for spawn of his knife per play-through: Same stats & durability as combat knife)
 -  Hinterland merch appearing in spawn tables swapped out for their respective counterpart in-game items (toggled?)
 -  Jeremiah's Timberwolf Cowl -- Rabbitskin hat reskin -- Shared stats with either a Rabbitskin hat (or ear warmers), then allow players to swap it 1:1 with the respective item from their inventory which would then be "consumed" in the swap.  Harvesting product & repair mats requirements identical for RSH,
 -  Bunny Slippers -- Cosmetic Reskin for Leather shoes -- shares stats with Leather shoes, requires 1x cured leather + 1x cloth to repair; consumes a pair a pair of leather shoes from inventory 1:1 when crafted.
 -  Jeremiah's Buckskin Trench -- Cosmetic Reskin for Moose-hide cloak-- shares stats with Cloak, requires cured moose hide (&CE) for repair, Consumes one MHC 1:1 from inventory when crafted.
  -  Fringed Buckskin Jacket -- Cosmetic Reskin for Wolfskin coat - Shares stats with WSC, requires cured wolf pelt to repair (&CE); consumes one WSC from inventory 1:1 when crafted.
  -  Country Breakfast -- MRE reskin -- e.g. Platter of flapjacks, bacon / sausage, eggs, steaming cup of coffee.. (persists until fully consumed) Could have different meals,
 -   Food Pack (assorted consumable reskins of in-game consumable food items): can of Green Beans (Pinnacle peaches reskin), Chicken Noodle soup (Tomato soup reskin), Hot Chocolate (either coffee or tea reskin) &CE

alot of the stuff you listed would be awesome more interaction for rp  would be great id love to be able to cook meat on a stick having to hold to over the fire while turning it they could even add marshmallows :) i also kinda wish fishing was a mini game instead of just passing time. a fire bow (craftable fire starter) which would be used with a stick and tinder to friction light fires, binoculars for sightseeing, recipes hinterland please add wolf meat stew! an aurora mode (always night always aurora) and challenge pack id pay to have 4don a mode that is always available.

4 minutes ago, rancid0 said:

alot of the stuff you listed would be awesome more interaction for rp  would be great id love to be able to cook meat on a stick having to hold to over the fire while turning it they could even add marshmallows :) i also kinda wish fishing was a mini game instead of just passing time. a fire bow (craftable fire starter) which would be used with a stick and tinder to friction light fires, binoculars for sightseeing, recipes hinterland please add wolf meat stew! an aurora mode (always night always aurora) and challenge pack id pay to have 4don a mode that is always available.

I think I remember reading that expanding the fishing & cooking systems (including additional recipes) was on HL's internal roadmap along with primitive fire-starting as well.  I like the idea of interactive cooking (meat on a stick / spit, toasting marshmallows).  Perhaps the player could craft a crude spit & hanger from branches & sticks or a leaning "prop" spit that the player could attach a piece of meat to and maybe have to "turn" so both sides would cook and the meat would get cooked faster.. I could totally get into an RP interactive marshmallow roast just for an immersive activity while getting my camping RP on.

I think I recall reading that binoculars and rifle scopes were possible additions and something they were considering, but they were low on the list of priorities.  You can read Raphael's response to Hotzn's question about them here in the Milton Mailbox dispatch #7, dated Aug. of 2018 (second from last question).

All of those things sound like good ideas, but the purpose of this thread is to come up with ideas that might be easier to implement while HL is still working on Wintermute than more involved additions that would make more sense to release as part of a post-completion DLC.  Even ideas like a "simple" reskin / cosmetic swap would involve not only the original asset creation but supplemental inventory icons, in-world objects, inspection images etc. along with expanded / reconfigured loot tables and is probably more involved than I imagine it to be.  I'm afraid to admit it, but just to change the cosmetics of existing items and reconfigure the loot tables is probably just as labor / time intensive an undertaking as adding a whole new item and is more-than-likely prohibitive from a studio / personnel resource expenditure perspective prior to full game release.   But, dang-it-all.. I reallyreallyreally want a tent reskin for the snow shelter!