FrozenCorpse

TLD Supporter Pack Ideas

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Then don't imply that I or anyone else would be upset if we bought a DLC from a dev and then a modder decided to offer something similar for free.  Don't imply that a modder would just arbitrarily do a better job of representing various cultures within a DLC.  I'm not "anti-modder"; but I don't want to see a situation like FO4 where an unofficial patch mod is what has to be used to make the game functional nor do I want to be pressured every time I go onto a website to use mods to correct issues I'm having with the vanilla game (as I am whenever I go onto the Bethesda community website).  I want the dev to stay responsible for the completeness of their game and I'll willingly purchase quality DLC from a dev because they also have the responsibility to ensure that product works within their game.  I honestly don't understand why my holding that sort of opinion would upset you.  Free modders don't have that responsibility on an ongoing basis.  They can make a mod and then choose not to update it if the dev updates the game.  I don't hold that against them.  I just want levels of support and service that only the dev is expected to give on an ongoing basis (until at least they announce that they are withdrawing support for the product)... and I don't want to see good devs run short of money, but I don't want them to be dependent on charity either.  They're a business... give me a good product and I'll happily pay for it.  What is wrong with having that attitude?

I implied nothing of the sort. You are reading into things from your own POV. And we are finished conversing here, since you seem to like to twist my words, and give them meanings they never had. :)

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

(Cringes a bit at the thought of Hopeless Rescue mashed with The Hunted part 2 mashed with Archivist mashed with Jeremiah's Survival School...)

Well hopefully these hypothetical narratives either wouldn't be brutally punishing, or would offer the option to experience them using any of the existing modes.  Like I have no problem doing Hopeless Rescue at the base Voyageur difficulty, and could probably get some enjoyment out of it at Stalker level.  But Interloper?  Forget about it.  I kick my washing machine in frustration when the load is unbalanced. I know better than to intentionally expose myself to that kind of aggravation.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I implied nothing of the sort. You are reading into things from your own POV. And we are finished conversing here, since you seem to like to twist my words, and give them meanings they never had. :)

Quoting you - "Someday there will be modding support and mods for all of this... Just saying."

I believe your "just saying" implies just that... that it is some sort of reason for HL not considering putting any work into such things because eventually modders will undercut them and put it out for free.  I'm saying if they put it out there before modding support and if it's a quality product, that shouldn't make a difference because there are gamers, like me, who have no interest in mods anyways.  If you want to wait for modding support and not buy DLC that you feel will be available for free later, that's your prerogative...  I don't and that's my prerogative.  (Just like I wanted an Official Patch to FO4 rather than that puck being passed onto the shoulders of modders.)

ETA:  I believe you also followed up on the notion of pressuring me to wait to use mods for this sort of thing rather than even suggesting the devs put out such things with a response that amounted to "you know you can mod on the Xbox..."

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

That I would actually consider buying, if they were able to make the calendar continue to change as IRL years go by, Leap Years and all. I would actually use that on my desktop.

Lots of people have asked for an art book, images from the game's early days, through current day. Not sure I would want a digital artbook, that I had to drag people into my office to share, but a beautifully bound "Collector's Edition" hardback book, that I could put on my coffee table to share with visitors (and try to make TLD converts out f them...). I would buy that in the Hinterland Store. Not sure they could make it worth their cost to produce, though. A digital art book would be more cost effective for them, but not something I would buy.

As you are probably more aware than I, Raph has stated that an Art book is something they're seriously considering.  I would imagine that any "Collector's Edition" of the game would come with some sort of Art book, and that publication would probably be available in the store for patrons who are only interested in that.  A higher-quality hardcover Art book might also be available then as well but, yeah, it wouldn't be cheap.

2 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

As you are probably more aware than I, Raph has stated that an Art book is something they're seriously considering.  I would imagine that any "Collector's Edition" of the game would come with some sort of Art book, and that publication would probably be available in the store for patrons who are only interested in that.  A higher-quality hardcover Art book might also be available then as well but, yeah, it wouldn't be cheap.

Yeah, the higher quality art book would be expensive for them, meaning expensive for us. I would probably buy a paperback edition, if that was available, but would have to insist people wash their hands and put on cotton gloves before looking at it, lol.  

And not sure why this reminded me, but it did. I still need to go grab the Skybound physical disc copy of the game for XBone. I keep forgetting to, and really should go see if I can find any vendors that actually have it in stock. Or get onto a waiting list.

• Like 1

The fan base is basically screaming "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY".

That, Hinterland, is how you know you're winning. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

An Art Book would be nice.  I'd like to see some less expensive merch options, but I think my jigsaw puzzles idea probably won't work since I did some searching and there's already a guy offering TLD jigsaws on Steam.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Any holidays you don't want to be activated by the pack could be handled via a toggle.  If they put in a bunch from different cultures, you could turn on the ones you want and turn off the ones you don't.

I do like this option as well.  I have seen something similar happen with subscriber-based games where various holiday events occur year-round.  But I do see some logistical and execution complications for something like this.  Not everyone plays online.  Hand-placing cosmetics throughout the game-world is more labor-intensive than I had in mind for supporter pack contents that wouldn't require a significant outlay of personnel resources to include.

I've very limited knowledge of game coding but I think that coding a functionality that monitors when a player is playing and then inserts hand-placed decorations throughout the game world - while it can be a good idea if it's implemented in a way that pleases pretty much everyone (i.e. toggled selections) - I think it would be prohibitive for an offering such as could be conveniently assembled from mostly pre-existing assets such as I imagine for this kind of supporter pack.  That isn't to say it isn't worthy of it being a separate DLC.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

I do like this option as well.  I have seen something similar happen with subscriber-based games where various holiday events occur year-round.  But I do see some logistical and execution complications for something like this.  Not everyone plays online.  Hand-placing cosmetics throughout the game-world is more labor-intensive than I had in mind for supporter pack contents that wouldn't require a significant outlay of personnel resources to include.

I've very limited knowledge of game coding but I think that coding a functionality that monitors when a player is playing and then inserts hand-placed decorations throughout the game world - while it can be a good idea if it's implemented in a way that pleases pretty much everyone (i.e. toggled selections) - I think it would be prohibitive for an offering such as could be conveniently assembled from mostly pre-existing assets such as I imagine for this kind of supporter pack.  That isn't to say it isn't worthy of it being a separate DLC.

I don't think being online is necessary.  My old copy of Terraria does it on my Xbox 360, which is never online anymore.  I'm pretty sure it's just tied to the console clock and will spawn items if the game is launched around specific dates.  I also don't think they are hand placed in Terraria (which is all procedurally generated worlds).  How that might be different in a set world like TLD, I don't know.

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

An Art Book would be nice.  I'd like to see some less expensive merch options, but I think my jigsaw puzzles idea probably won't work since I did some searching and there's already a guy offering TLD jigsaws on Steam.

Hinterland could offer different puzzles.. better puzzles..  still a good idea IMO, just not for a supporter pack... :)

I too would like some more affordable options in the store, but quality costs and the studio doesn't seem like the type to cut corners just to make a buck selling bogus merch.  However, I would pay for a replica of some item taken from the game-world that epitomizes TLD... a Pinnacle Peaches paperweight, an "I survived The Long Dark" iron-on decal, patch or button for some examples... But I digress.

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't think being online is necessary.  My old copy of Terraria does it on my Xbox 360, which is never online anymore.

That would seem to affirm the potential for doing similarly here.

20 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I also don't think they are hand placed in Terraria (which is all procedurally generated worlds).  How that might be different in a set world like TLD, I don't know.

Me niether.  But.. since this is a static environment, I'd think the locations for various types of decorations would need to be initially "set"  by one or more developers so items didn't appear oddly situated or in awkward places.  Eg.  A wreathe would normally appear on a door or over a fireplace for example...  The more places in each region that might be decorated, the more involved the "tagging" process.  What if the solitary house decorated in your favorite region isn't the one they chose to decorate?  If given my druthers, I'd druther decorate myself.  Even moderately decorating within each region while accounting for all the various potential holiday decorations a person could toggle "on" would be no small undertaking I think...  Good for a separate DLC, bad for a minimal-effort quickly produced Supporter Pack.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, FrozenCorpse said:

That would seem to affirm the potential for doing similarly here.

Me niether.  But.. since this is a static environment, I'd think the locations for various types of decorations would need to be initially "set"  by one or more developers so items didn't appear oddly situated or in awkward places.  Eg.  A wreathe would normally appear on a door or over a fireplace for example...  The more places in each region that might be decorated, the more involved the "tagging" process.  What if the solitary house decorated in your favorite region isn't the one they chose to decorate?  If given my druthers, I'd druther decorate myself.  Even moderately decorating within each region while accounting for all the various potential holiday decorations a person could toggle "on" would be no small undertaking I think...  Good for a separate DLC, bad for a minimal-effort quickly produced Supporter Pack.

I'd be fine with items just appearing wherever the random spawn points are and then being able to move them myself to actually decorate.  Same with non-holiday specific decorator items others have mentioned.  Someone did bring up a concern about being able to use lit objects as trail markers.  I personally have no problem with it regarding the holiday items idea since they would despawn after the holiday passed anyways.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

...Someone did bring up a concern about being able to use lit objects as trail markers...

I'm sure the devs could make it so they wouldn't work in that capacity.  They could be limited to only functioning indoors or only on or in proximity to certain structures...  if tying a ribbon around a tree (fashioned from a piece of cloth?) were to ever become "a thing", then we could decorate trees with decorative items since we could just as easily use a ribbon for a trail marker...

Edited by FrozenCorpse