FrozenCorpse

TLD Supporter Pack Ideas

Recommended Posts

In this thread, I am soliciting players specific ideas & suggestions for things they would like to see included as NON-ADVANTAGEOUS additions to their gameplay experience; for which, they would be willing to pay the cost associated with a DLC as a means of financially supporting the Hinterland studio.

These are 10 categories / suggestions I've either read somewhere along the line, or that I would like to see in a Supporter Pack:

1. Reskins:
 -  Tent reskin for the Snow Shelter (same crafting components, looks like a mountaineering tent with a fly).
 -  Skillet (functions with the same stats as the cooking pot)
 -  Jeremiah's knife (limited possibility for spawn of his knife per play-through: Same stats & durability as combat knife)
 -  Hinterland merch appearing in spawn tables swapped out for their respective counterpart in-game items (toggled?)
2. Decorator Pack: (Role Players / Campers) Items placed outdoors would despawn when player exceeds a certain range so they couldn't be used for trail markers. Items set in a "camp site" could be tagged as persistent with the player permitted one active camp site at any particular time.  Reskins would be subject to the same decay that their respective counterparts were.  The view out the front of the tent would need to be identical to the snow shelter...(?).
Non-consumables (decorative):
 -  Glass of water
 -  Glass of wine
 -  Mug of beer
 -  Bottled beer
 -  Bottle of wine
 -  Steaming hot beverage (cocoa?)
 -  Plates (decorative, placeable) that function as an interactable surface that players can place food items on.
 -  Place setting (silverware, decorative)
 -  RP Functionality:  Sitting on tree-stumps and chairs (possibly technically complicated).  Would love to sit when I role-play camping, mend or handcraft... (could even be added to game later in an update, but given to supporters earlier)
 -  RP Functionality:  Functional coat racks (no benefit to drying, same as floor or surface drying.
 -  RP Functionality:  Store hatchet stuck into wood (stump, bough, downed tree..).
 -  RP Functionality:   Lean rifle against things vertically.
3. Misophonia toggle:  Eating audio swapped for barely audible variants.
4. Elegy Visual Poem
5. Select Episode Intro cinematics (possible complications where additional music licensing fees are concerned).
6. Game designer interview collection.
7. Identity-secure behind-the scene Studio tour.
8. Great Bear inspirations (collection of images and video montage designers utilized for creative inspiration).
9. Meet the voice actors: (Interviews with or short video highlights of the process).
10.Gag reel (funny glitches, fun in the recording studio, etc.).


What other things can you think of that you'd like to see in a Supporter Pack?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can also support the team by going and purchasing other TLD merchandise offered on their store page.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would gladly pay DLC for more Weapons and Animals to Hunt :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Holiday Items packs - enables the game to detect when the player is playing near a holiday (Christmas, New Year's, Halloween, Valentine's Day) and spawns some decorative items into the environment (stockings on fireplace mantles,  noise makers that could be used for scaring wolves,  jack-o-lanterns that can be lit for some candlelight, for example) and perhaps spawns a few holiday related food items (boxes of heart-shaped chocolates, for example).  These items would then despawn once the "holiday season" has passed.

These could also be geared to be reactive to holidays from cultures from all over the world.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Holiday Items packs - enables the game to detect when the player is playing near a holiday (Christmas, New Year's, Halloween, Valentine's Day) and spawns some decorative items into the environment (stockings on fireplace mantles,  noise makers that could be used for scaring wolves,  jack-o-lanterns that can be lit for some candlelight, for example) and perhaps spawns a few holiday related food items (boxes of heart-shaped chocolates, for example).  These items would then despawn once the "holiday season" has passed.

These could also be geared to be reactive to holidays from cultures from all over the world.

I think you have some great ideas there.  I particularly like the multi-cultural aspect.  Once Story Mode is completed, the portion of the studio which continues to provide support for TLD might well implement more holiday events along the lines of the Halloween FDON event.

I suppose the jack-o-lantern could function as a reskinned torch.  Holiday decorations that the game placed would have no advantage, but as soon as players are able to decorate with them, it would need to be such that decorations couldn't be used as a way of marking trails.

We can drop & arrange sticks, stones, tinder plugs and recycled cans as persistent trail-markers presently.  But those are not necessarily easily seen from a distance.  If holiday decorations could be dropped which were much more noticeable, those players would have an advantage over those without the Holiday decorators pack.  Perhaps decorations can only be placed in structure interiors tagged as being "decoratable" (is that a word?).

I like the idea for a functional noise-maker or even a party popper with streamers or confetti that could be purely decorative even while being functional (twirling the NM and making a racket, or popping the popper and seeing the colorful result).  As soon as one of the items from a supporter pack does something that affords any advantage to a player,

  I think many of your ideas could be implemented without too great an outlay of studio resources, so.. yeah.  Sounds good!  I'll add it to the list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UpUpAway95 suggested #11.  Holiday Items & Decorator Pack:
 - (Game-generated?) Holiday decorations: Stockings on fireplace mantles, wreath?  Christmas tree(?) It would be awesome to put up a tree and have it lit during an aurora?!  Maybe even appropriate music on radios during the holidays...
 - Holiday food item swaps from regular food loot tables: Valentines' chocolates, Christmas Sugar Cookies, candy canes, Peeps, Candy corn, etc.
 - Multi-cultural Holiday recognition.
 - Possible items: Jack-o-lanterns, noise-makers, party-popper w/ streamers of confetti..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Someday, there will be modding support. And... mods for all of this.

Just saying...

Fine for those who play on PC and who like to mess around with things like load orders and mod conflicts and such.  That's just not for me.  I play on an Xbox and certainly don't mind spending a little money from time to time supporting the devs on an ongoing basis by purchasing quality DLCs; particularly when I like the game and the devs are committing themselves to supporting it for the long term.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Fine for those who play on PC and who like to mess around with things like load orders and mod conflicts and such.  That's just not for me.  I play on an Xbox and certainly don't mind spending a little money from time to time supporting the devs on an ongoing basis by purchasing quality DLCs; particularly when I like the game and the devs are committing themselves to supporting it for the long term.

Modding is possible on XBox One, though AFAIK, only Bethesda and Paradox have official modding support for XBone right now. (Not sure if Paradox Mods is live yet or not...). Modding is popular. I am betting more supported modding for more games will be coming to consoles in the near future. I have no issues with Hinterland creating a Supporter Pack type DLC of cosmetic add-ons. I would probably even buy one or two. But, I have to also think that the amount of time and money they would spend to try to create some of the things on the list here, like holiday items for multi-cultural religious beliefs ad faiths, would not be financially profitable. Modders will likely take something like that on, since I doubt Hinterland is going to make them for the holidays I and my family celebrate. Supporting the game for the long term does not mean Hinterland is going to be continuously pumping out new content for the game  for years and years. Pretty sure they have other games they would like to develop as well. Modding may allow some really creative customizations in the game and game world, without pulling part of the team away from new projects. And mods made with officially supported tools, provided by Hinterland, that will not break the game, will not require some of the hoop-jumping it takes to use unsupported mods. I play on PC and XBox One. And I play modded Skyrim on XBox One, only.

There will be mods for many of the things on the list above. And maybe there will be some things put into a DLC pack by Hinterland. Either, or both, would be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of another item:

12.  Custom Wallpapers from Studio image sources and Art Dept. with full selection of resolutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Modding is possible on XBox One, though AFAIK, only Bethesda and Paradox have official modding support for XBone right now. (Not sure if Paradox Mods is live yet or not...). Modding is popular. I am betting more supported modding for more games will be coming to consoles in the near future. I have no issues with Hinterland creating a Supporter Pack type DLC of cosmetic add-ons. I would probably even buy one or two. But, I have to also think that the amount of time and money they would spend to try to create some of the things on the list here, like holiday items for multi-cultural religious beliefs ad faiths, would not be financially profitable. Modders will likely take something like that on, since I doubt Hinterland is going to make them for the holidays I and my family celebrate. Supporting the game for the long term does not mean Hinterland is going to be continuously pumping out new content for the game  for years and years. Pretty sure they have other games they would like to develop as well. Modding may allow some really creative customizations in the game and game world, without pulling part of the team away from new projects. And mods made with officially supported tools, provided by Hinterland, that will not break the game, will not require some of the hoop-jumping it takes to use unsupported mods. I play on PC and XBox One. And I play modded Skyrim on XBox One, only.

There will be mods for many of the things on the list above. And maybe there will be some things put into a DLC pack by Hinterland. Either, or both, would be good.

Ummm., I'm aware that FO4 can be modded on the Xbox... and that's why I added "and you want to mess around with load orders and mod conflicts and such."  I don't think modding should inhibit the devs from producing quality DLC for those of us who don't want to mess with such things.  Games, IMO, should not become just platforms for modders to do their thing allegedly "better than the devs."  I made a suggestion... it's up to HL to decide whether or not they might find it profitable or not.  IMO, I would rather pay for a DLC (a product) than kick in a charitable donation to a gaming company to continue working on a game in progress.  They aren't charities after all.

To clarify the extent of my original idea... I was thinking more along the lines of one or two related holiday decorations and a couple of related food items that would spawn into the game on the date of the holiday (if the player launches the game on that day or week) and then they despawn (disappear from the world) when that particular holiday passes.  I don't think it would be very troublesome to add in say, a few Chinese lanterns replacing some of the door lanterns on some of the houses on the date of the Chinese New Year or maybe  some colorful decorations spawning during Mardi Gras.  Just a fun way to remind us of time passing in the world over the course of the months throughout the year as we play.  It would be simply fun see what the game surprises us with on those dates (as many as HL thinks they can put in and still profit from it)... think Terraria and pumpkins sprouting during Holloween.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

"...But, I have to also think that the amount of time and money they would spend to try to create some of the things on the list here ... would not be financially profitable."

It's a valid concern.

When I initially drafted the OP, I had prefaced it with some qualifiers and additional thoughts to sort of "help" people come up with suitable ideas and to keep the thread on-topic since there is most certainly a commonly expressed sentiment that the studio should not concern themselves with DLC while Wintermute is unfinished.  The last sentence of that preface similarly to this:

"The fundamental premise here is for ideas which utilize primarily pre-existing assets (or depictions of potential assets) from Story Mode not currently available in Survival Mode (like Jeremiah's knife, for instance) that require a modicum of developer resources, or for other cosmetic asset creation that could simply be swapped out for in-game assets without affecting the game (like a tent added which functions identically as a snow shelter, a cast-iron skillet which functions identically to a cooking pot, etc.).  While reskinning assets might be an ideal time-saver, in some instances I think it is possible to add some elements to the game which would entail some lesser degree of resource outlay from the studio to tie them in / incorporate (coding).  People x time = $.  True,  yet recouping all your expenditures along with the additional revenue earned = profit = better for the studio = better for the players."

The basic idea here is: "Simple is better.  Cosmetic changes, basic functionality with minimal coding demands (not that most of us - myself included - have little concept how much coding would be involved to implement that "little change" we'd like to see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an idea along the lines of additional merchandise.  Jigsaw Puzzles of some of the popular scenes (e.g. iconic Trapper's Cabin) - capitalizing on the artwork of this beautiful game.  I have no idea how expensive they are to produce though and whether or not actual jigsaw puzzles are as popular with people (other than me - I love them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@UpUpAway95

Never had a problem with any mod conflicts on XBone. Not sure what you are talking about there, but...okay. You are really making more of my original post of:

3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Someday, there will be modding support. And... mods for all of this.

Just saying...

...than needed.  You also seem to have missed where I said :

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

 

There will be mods for many of the things on the list above. And maybe there will be some things put into a DLC pack by Hinterland. Either, or both, would be good.

And I am not interested in "holiday decorations" for holidays I and my family do not celebrate. Halloween I can tolerate, it's fun, and falls on the same day as the day we celebrate Samhain. But I have no interest in Easter, Christmas, Valentine's Day, ect.. Thanksgiving, sure. but which one, from which country? I would prefer to have a mod that allows me to decorate and customize for things I celebrate or enjoy. If Hinterland created a Supporter Pack, no problem. I have no issues with it, as I said before. But I am not likely to buy it.

1 hour ago, FrozenCorpse said:

IThe basic idea here is: "Simple is better.  Cosmetic changes, basic functionality with minimal coding demands (not that most of us - myself included - have little concept how much coding would be involved to implement that "little change" we'd like to see...

Simple, and not attached to any of the hundreds of non-secular holidays celebrated around the world, since the game is played by many, all around the world. General cosmetics, like finding a cardboard box filled with silk flowers or plants, that you can use to decorate your bases... cool. Wallpapers in a range of resolutions, okay, but you can get those free online already, and can make your own from your own screenshots, so... would it actually sell?

I still like the idea of them bringing back the 2014 version of the game as a DLC. That could be a Supporter Pack in and of itself. Things like the posters they sell in their store, i can't see happening, because that would be like giving you the files to have them printed up at your local print shop, for far less than you would pay for them in the Hinterland Merch Store. All of the decorative and reskin items, I just can't see a ton of people paying for, once modding support is given, and modders begin adding those things through free mods. 

I want to support Hinterland, and I have- by buying 14 copies of the game, at various price points, and giving the Steam Gifts or Humble Bundle keys out to family, friends, and even a few stranger in giveaways. And the OST that I bought 5 of, one for me, and 4 that I gave away to others who wanted it but could not afford it. The 2014 game I would pay for, if the price was set at a reasonable price point. (A $5-$7 DLC, or so...). But the things listed here in your thread... not so much. Not when I know I can already get some of them for free, or will be able to, with mods in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Here's an idea along the lines of additional merchandise.  Jigsaw Puzzles of some of the popular scenes (e.g. iconic Trapper's Cabin) - capitalizing on the artwork of this beautiful game.  I have no idea how expensive they are to produce though and whether or not actual jigsaw puzzles are as popular with people (other than me - I love them).

That is an excellent suggestion.. and, while it isn't exactly on topic... I think it would be something their merch dept. could add to the present offerings without too much difficulty.. :)  Perhaps players could also digitally deliver screengrabs from their own adventures and Hinterland could have them transferred into a puzzle or mousepad... but, alas, I am derailing my own thread... back to the supporter pack ideas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Special monthly events, similar to 4 Days of Night, that are only available to paid subscribers.  

Also, poster-size prints of the maps and posters found within the game itself.  For example, the Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway posters that can be found on the main level of the Carter Dam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

...I am not interested in "holiday decorations" for holidays I and my family do not celebrate.

Perhaps not having the game decorate for players might be the better way of handling holidays...

 

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Thanksgiving, sure. but which one, from which country?

Great point.  I tend towards an inaccurate, westernized and ethnocentric world view.   Who could possibly want to eat a 10 course Turkey dinner in mid-October??  Heck, the Macy's parade wouldn't be for another.. five and a half weeks, give or take...

 

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

General cosmetics, like finding a cardboard box filled with silk flowers or plants, that you can use to decorate your bases... cool.

I agree.

I think most players usually stop by the ML camp office at some point in a play-through (considering it's centralized location), perhaps a Holiday Decorators Pack could be an unclaimed package delivery sitting on the front porch, or inside somewhere... I like the idea of having a box with decorations to pick and choose from.  There might also be some kind of notes placed in popular structures in each region which state there is an unclaimed package for so-and-so at the Milton Post Office.  I'd enjoy picking that up and bringing back strings of colored lights & ornaments to the camp office to decorate a tree with.  I've had an undecorated, tabletop fiber-optic Christmas tree set up in my apt for far longer than I care to admit (but I'll give you a hint and say that there are people playing this game who weren't born when I first set it up :) ).

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Simple, and not attached to any of the hundreds of non-secular holidays celebrated around the world, since the game is played by many, all around the world.

I quoted this one out of sequence as I wasn't 100% sure how to interpret it.   If I grok your meaning, you're asserting that some Supporter Pack that forced a bunch of undesired content (like unwanted decorations appearing all over the place and possibly changing throughout the year) would neither be "simple" nor desired by most players.  Again, I agree.  I'd prefer to have control over what and where such decorative items be placed.

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I still like the idea of them bringing back the 2014 version of the game as a DLC. That could be a Supporter Pack in and of itself.

Agreed.  And far easier than what I had in mind.  Let's keep an eye out for it.

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Wallpapers in a range of resolutions, okay, but you can get those free online already, and can make your own from your own screenshots...

True, but what I had in mind was images only Hinterland would have.  That's what "from Studio image sources and Art Dept " is all about.  Also, while we do have all those in-game screenshots we take and a wealth of images available online to use as wallpapers, a supporter Pack could have 20-30... many of which are not available online.. we wouldn't have to look them all up and make sure they were the right aspect ratio & resolution for our monitor, then we could put into a folder and use them as a slideshow screensaver just like the kids do!  Ooo... the thought gives me chills... Oh, wait.. the door's open.. "WHO LEFT THE DANG DOOR OPEN??" ..Darn kids...

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Things like the posters they sell in their store, i can't see happening, because that would be like giving you the files to have them printed up at your local print shop

Absolutely.  And I wouldn't expect those images to be included for just that reason.   But studio Art departments have LOTS of reference material and game-related art images.  I'd bet they have Terabytes of material they could choose from.

2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

All of the decorative and reskin items, I just can't see a ton of people paying for, once modding support is given, and modders begin adding those things through free mods.

Yep.. Neither could I.. except modding support is very unlikely to happen before Wintermute is completed and then modders need time to familiarize themselves with the system, and make the mods.  I'm looking for suggestion for a project that could be completed before WM4 even comes out.  Quite seriously, - as a role-player enthusiast - I would pay $9.99 for a snow shelter reskin that looks like a mountaineering tent with a fly without any other content whatsoever right this minute.

This thread isn't about all the existing ways that players might presently support this wonderful studio, or even about all the great DLC ideas that people have for this game (and I know there are MANY).  It is merely a call for suggestions regarding things that players think might be relatively easy to implement or otherwise include in a Supporter Pack that mightn't be too difficult to produce in order to generate a little revenue in the interim.  It's all good as far as I'm concerned.  I think throwing ideas around and considering players desires & opinions benefits the process.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the subject. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Special monthly events, similar to 4 Days of Night, that are only available to paid subscribers.

Regardless of my thoughts on this suggestion, it's not really something that would be included in a Supporter Pack.  It IS a good suggestion for another way the studio could generate revenue, just not the kind of suggestion I'm interested in.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

...poster-size prints of the maps and posters found within the game itself.  For example, the Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway posters that can be found on the main level of the Carter Dam.

Now, THIS is something I think might have a place in a supporter pack.  While it does kind of undermine the whole quality Art Print Posters merch available on the studio website, there's a few images in-game I could definitely see being a printable image, and who says they have to be such a high resolution that they actually compete with the quality of the merch from their store?  Just spitballing another idea.. a digital calendar could be put together without too much effort with a fine selection of images just as you've mentioned.  I'm not a big calendar person, but I could see myself printing that out and actually using it.  Or they could sell just such a calendar in the store...!

13.  Poster-size prints of the maps and posters (seen) within the game itself. :)

Edited by FrozenCorpse
removed word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

@UpUpAway95

Never had a problem with any mod conflicts on XBone. Not sure what you are talking about there, but...okay. You are really making more of my original post of:

...than needed.  You also seem to have missed where I said :

And I am not interested in "holiday decorations" for holidays I and my family do not celebrate. Halloween I can tolerate, it's fun, and falls on the same day as the day we celebrate Samhain. But I have no interest in Easter, Christmas, Valentine's Day, ect.. Thanksgiving, sure. but which one, from which country? I would prefer to have a mod that allows me to decorate and customize for things I celebrate or enjoy. If Hinterland created a Supporter Pack, no problem. I have no issues with it, as I said before. But I am not likely to buy it.

Simple, and not attached to any of the hundreds of non-secular holidays celebrated around the world, since the game is played by many, all around the world. General cosmetics, like finding a cardboard box filled with silk flowers or plants, that you can use to decorate your bases... cool. Wallpapers in a range of resolutions, okay, but you can get those free online already, and can make your own from your own screenshots, so... would it actually sell?

I still like the idea of them bringing back the 2014 version of the game as a DLC. That could be a Supporter Pack in and of itself. Things like the posters they sell in their store, i can't see happening, because that would be like giving you the files to have them printed up at your local print shop, for far less than you would pay for them in the Hinterland Merch Store. All of the decorative and reskin items, I just can't see a ton of people paying for, once modding support is given, and modders begin adding those things through free mods. 

I want to support Hinterland, and I have- by buying 14 copies of the game, at various price points, and giving the Steam Gifts or Humble Bundle keys out to family, friends, and even a few stranger in giveaways. And the OST that I bought 5 of, one for me, and 4 that I gave away to others who wanted it but could not afford it. The 2014 game I would pay for, if the price was set at a reasonable price point. (A $5-$7 DLC, or so...). But the things listed here in your thread... not so much. Not when I know I can already get some of them for free, or will be able to, with mods in the future.

Any holidays you don't want to be activated by the pack could be handled via a toggle.  If they put in a bunch from different cultures, you could turn on the ones you want and turn off the ones you don't.  You're also not obligated to buy a DLC.

I have no interest in using mods, yet that doesn't prevent you from advocating that they spend resources on incorporating mod support for this game; so I really don't know why you're coming down so hard on me.  I don't think concerns over what mods might want to do in the future should be a primary consideration for what the devs might want to try to earn some money.  If it does, then the devs are being relegated to just providing platforms for modders to use to display their mod ideas rather than providing fully fleshed out games for the rest of us who don't want to use them.  For example, the existence of the Unofficial Patch mod for FO4 took away any pressure on Bethesda to fix their own game while putting pressure on everyone to use a mod just to play a game that functions on their system (giving up obtaining achievements in the process).

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

14.  Digital calendar made up of posted images and wall calendars seen in-game.

That I would actually consider buying, if they were able to make the calendar continue to change as IRL years go by, Leap Years and all. I would actually use that on my desktop.

Lots of people have asked for an art book, images from the game's early days, through current day. Not sure I would want a digital artbook, that I had to drag people into my office to share, but a beautifully bound "Collector's Edition" hardback book, that I could put on my coffee table to share with visitors (and try to make TLD converts out f them...). I would buy that in the Hinterland Store. Not sure they could make it worth their cost to produce, though. A digital art book would be more cost effective for them, but not something I would buy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

 

I have no interest in using mods, yet that doesn't prevent you from advocating that they spend resources on incorporating mod support for this game... <snip>.

They already have plans to implement Modding support for the game. When they are ready, and feel they can do it right. It's a pretty common subject of discussion on these forums, in the Milton Mailbag, on Steam forums, on Twitter...

And yes, I am a modder, so of course I am going to "advocate" them adding fully supported modding to the game. I DO have interest in it, once it is officially supported. I don't know why you feel the need to rail against it, just because you have no interest in using mods now, or in the future. No one could force you too if you don't want to, just because modding support was there. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

They already have plans to implement Modding support for the game. When they are ready, and feel they can do it right. It's a pretty common subject of discussion on these forums, in the Milton Mailbag, on Steam forums, on Twitter...

And yes, I am a modder, so of course I am going to "advocate" them adding fully supported modding to the game. I DO have interest in it, once it is officially supported. I don't know why you feel the need to rail against it, just because you have no interest in using mods now, or in the future. No one could force you too if you don't want to, just because modding support was there. :)

I gave my reasons for not being interested in mod support (developers passing of their responsibilities to fix their games onto modders, load order issues, mod conflict issues, unsupported mods).   I can accept that you don't like my particular holiday pack idea - to each their own.

What I don't get is what's so different that makes it OK for you to rail on me and rail against this sort of suggestion based on your modding interest though?  It's not a crime for a dev to consider how to make some additional coin through DLC... even when its a DLC that someday modders might want to duplicate in various forms.  I think that it's well within their rights to look at such alternatives and decide for themselves what they might find profitable in the long run.  If I buy a DLC from a dev and it was a good DLC, I certainly would not be upset if a modder subsequently came out with a free alternative for others.  I simply would not download their mod and continue to enjoy the DLC I paid the devs for.  For me, being "free" doesn't make mods worthwhile (for the reasons I stated in the first paragraph).

If having mod support is going to block them from making DLCs for this game, I would hope at least that the mod support package makes them a little money from modders somehow.  Devs like HL deserve to be paid for their work.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

 

There will be mods for many of the things on the list above. And maybe there will be some things put into a DLC pack by Hinterland. Either, or both, would be good.

And again, you completely miss where I said this... ^^^. How is saying "either, or both would be good...", railing against anything? You gave your opinions, I gave mine. 

*shrugs*

After buying 14 copies of the game on multiple platforms, multiple copies of the OST, a good number of items from the Merch Store... I HAVE given them support. LOTS f of it.

And modding in NO WAY stops them from making DLCs. It may allow them to focus on DLCs that will be appealing to a majority of players, rather than edge cases that might appeal only to the US market, or the Russian market or the [insert religion here] market, or a certain small group of players interested in something that the greater majority has no interest in. Modders can fill that gap. Hinterland can concentrate on making DLCs that will have widespread appeal. You do understand that a DLC containing cosmetic items, or even items restricted to only people who bought the DLC is essentially Hinterland distributing their own mod? Mod= modification. DLCs that modify the game content are MODS. I will happily pay for a DLC that contains the modding tools I can use to create a mod for a small group of players to use and appreciate, and save Hinterland the time and money needed for them to produce it (and lose money on it). Not everyone cares about having Pancakes in the game. I do, and a small group of people I know would enjoy it too. I do not expect hinterland to create a Supporter Pack based on my desire to have Pancakes in the game. Would be great if they added them, if they found they had enough gameplay value to make it worthwhile. But I do not expect them to. So...  I will mod it in. After, and only after, we have official modding support that allows me to do so.

And again, see the above quote.  And again, Hinterland has already said, many times, that they intend to add modding support.

The only thing we don't know, is what type, what tools, and what restrictions they will place on the mod content.

 

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If having mod support is going to block them from making DLCs for this game, I would hope at least that the mod support package makes them a little money from modders somehow.  Devs like HL deserve to be paid for their work.

Modding does not, in any way, prevent a game studio or dev from producing DLCs of their choosing. You seem to be the one with a large anti-modding attitude and stance. You do know that Raph is/was a modder too? I support modding and DLCs.  Both. Again, see the quote at the top of this post.

 

12 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Special monthly events, similar to 4 Days of Night, that are only available to paid subscribers.  

I could get behind that. A different new "Challenge" each month. Maybe potentially changed up with some greater randomization of the gameworld, or loot, or "plot". I am doing some Alpha testing for a single-dev "indie" game, that allows me to re-roll the start of the game, to get a different set of starting stats, that results in the ability to choose what I prefer to play, rather than a single set, chosen only by the game. It's very basic, the game is very Alpha stage right now. But, it could be a "thing" that makes a DLC like this have almost infinite possibilities and greater playtime potential. (Cringes a bit at the thought of Hopeless Rescue mashed with The Hunted part 2 mashed with Archivist mashed with Jeremiah's Survival School...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

And again, you completely miss where I said this... ^^^. How is saying "either, or both would be good...", railing against anything? You gave your opinions, I gave mine. 

*shrugs*

 

Modding does not, in any way, prevent a game studio or dev from producing DLCs of their choosing. You seem to be the one with a large anti-modding attitude and stance. You do know that Raph is/was a modder too? I support modding and DLCs.  Both. Again, see the quote at the top of this post.

 

 

Then don't imply that I or anyone else would be upset if we bought a DLC from a dev and then a modder decided to offer something similar for free.  Don't imply that a modder would just arbitrarily do a better job of representing various cultures within a DLC.  I'm not "anti-modder"; but I don't want to see a situation like FO4 where an unofficial patch mod is what has to be used to make the game functional nor do I want to be pressured every time I go onto a website to use mods to correct issues I'm having with the vanilla game (as I am whenever I go onto the Bethesda community website).  I want the dev to stay responsible for the completeness of their game and I'll willingly purchase quality DLC from a dev because they also have the responsibility to ensure that product works within their game.  I honestly don't understand why my holding that sort of opinion would upset you.  Free modders don't have that responsibility on an ongoing basis.  They can make a mod and then choose not to update it if the dev updates the game.  I don't hold that against them.  I just want levels of support and service that only the dev is expected to give on an ongoing basis (until at least they announce that they are withdrawing support for the product)... and I don't want to see good devs run short of money, but I don't want them to be dependent on charity either.  They're a business... give me a good product and I'll happily pay for it.  What is wrong with having that attitude?

Edited by UpUpAway95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now