Cooking skill level 5

Sarah17

Just a quick question... got to level 5 cooking and it said I will not get parasites or food poisoning.... so i ate some raw bear meat and got food poisoning! Is it only cooked food that will not give me food poisoning/parasites?

25 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Sarah17, specifically food that you cook or that is classified as cooked/processed (like canned foods, candy/energy bars, MREs, and things of the like) ... so yes raw meat will still carry those affliction risks.  :) 

@DerpyLemon115 gave the correct answer. Only foods that can be cooked, and that you have cooked are safe. Canned/processed/packaged if not cooked  by you still carries risk of food poisoning. Same with raw meat and fish.

1 hour ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Yep, only food you cook will be safe.

This. ^^^. Correct.

@ThePancakeLady
oh, very well... my experience has been a little different I guess. :D 

So far in my runs, I save all "processed foods" that have been "ruined" and after eating them at level 5 I've had yet to contract food poisoning from them.  I suppose then I've just been extraordinarily lucky.

I genuinely appreciate the correction, thank you.  :)  It's never my desire to propagate incorrect information.

Edited by ManicManiac

5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

So far in my runs, I save all "processed foods" that have been "ruined" and after eating them at level 5 I've had yet to contract food poisoning from them.  I suppose then I've just been extraordinarily lucky.

I've experienced this as well...🤔

28 minutes ago, shade_grey said:

I've experienced this as well...🤔

I don't think it's luck. I'm eating plenty of "ruined" food and everything is fine.

I'm still convince "processed" count as"cooked". By the way, it also works with meat I cooked at the beginning of the game and abandoned. No parasites, and no poisoning if ruined.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Yep, only food you cook will be safe.

How can you say that? Have you ever got food poisoning from something (apart from raw meat) at level 5? Was it stated by the devs?

Edited by Doc Feral

15 hours ago, Sarah17 said:

Just a quick question... got to level 5 cooking and it said I will not get parasites or food poisoning.... so i ate some raw bear meat and got food poisoning! Is it only cooked food that will not give me food poisoning/parasites?

IMO, it's a game mechanic that is clearly not working as it is described in the game.  Either the mechanic itself or the description of it needs to be changed so that the player at least clearly knows what to expect.  For now, I basically eat things the same way as I do when I'm at cooking level 4.  If I need to eat things that are suspect, I make sure I have antibiotics or reishi teas ready to clear it up.  When I kill a bear or a wolf, I eat the meat only sporadically, eating several helpings of rabbit, fish or venison between each feeding.  When the condition of meats starts to fall, I recook it before eating it.

I've gotten food poisoning from processed food that you just pop and eat at cooking level 5.  So never from something like baked beans or pinnacle peaches.  But yes from anchoveys, chocolate and uncooked tomato soup.  I was playing stalker.  However, it was a couple of updates ago.