Aurora during a blizzard...during the day...

ajb1978

So...this is weird.  It's not something I can readily replicate, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I fell asleep in the truck outside Carter during an aurora, and awoke just after the break of dawn to a raging blizzard.  The sun had not yet fully risen, but was just over the horizon, to the point where you could break down objects indoors.  I race from the truck to the dam, ready to break down some more junk.  I light my lantern, make my way to the lower dam...and the wires in the hallway are sparking.  I check my flashlight, and yep, fully charged.  I go back outside, blizzard.

Ooookay...

34 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I've had that as well, but never a blizzard outside, then go inside, aurora (flashlight works), then step back outside...blizzard again.  Only happened the one time.

My bad. I overlooked the fact that you had a blizzard going on. Aurorae are supposed to only happen during clear weather. With the blizzard, it sounds like you had a fairly significant bug occurring.

55 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

My bad. I overlooked the fact that you had a blizzard going on. Aurorae are supposed to only happen during clear weather. With the blizzard, it sounds like you had a fairly significant bug occurring.

There's no reason that a blizzard should prevent the electrical impact of an aurora, is there? I mean, it'd stop you seeing the lights in the sky, but they'd still be there in the upper atmosphere, unaffected by the weather below, I'd have thought.

If it is a bug, it doesn't seem to me to be one that necessarily needs fixing!

13 minutes ago, Pillock said:

There's no reason that a blizzard should prevent the electrical impact of an aurora, is there? I mean, it'd stop you seeing the lights in the sky, but they'd still be there in the upper atmosphere, unaffected by the weather below, I'd have thought.

If it is a bug, it doesn't seem to me to be one that necessarily needs fixing!

In the real world, yes you can have an aurora during a blizzard, but in the game "Aurora" is a weather type.  Only one type of weather can be active at once, unless you are in the middle of a transition from one type to the next.  And then they gradually blend into one another.  I've never seen a fully roaring blizzard with an aurora still active.

But... I mean whatever, it's only happened the once, and didn't actually cause any problems.  I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out in the future though.

Same. Especially with people reporting hearing a blizzard indoors, going outdoors and there is no blizzard, or no sound of blizzard, going back in and having blizzard sounds again. Wouldn't do much good to report it without the output_log.txt file though, since reproduction attempts would be a PITA.