Astrid incoherence

Black_Bird

I was thinking about it after watching some Wintermute videos and I'm not sure but isn't it an incoherence in the evenement of the events in Milton ?

First the plane crashes so Astrid and Will are seperated. We know that Will and her Briefcase are realy important so Astrid as to :

1. Run too Milton looking for help and let some scarf piece behind to allow Will to find her path. 

2. She was forced by a animal or a prisoner to run away 

During that, the bus of prisoner get crashed at the entry of the tunnel after milton. The prisoner who survived get out of the Bus and they go to Milton. 

Some thing went wrong with the inhabitant of Milton, they burn a part of them by accident in the School. 

Astrid get here at this moment and try to save the Inhabitants but it's too late.

The prisoner try to kill her so she start to fight with them, kill one of them but get wouded.

She run away and pass trough the stone of the tunnel and survive. 

If she run away and don't get cought by the prisoner because she was small enough to pass the landslide, who can we find Mathis and 5 prisoners dead body in the mystery lake ? 

In this situation where astrid pass the landslide, the prisoners are trapped inside Milton. Am I wrong ? 

2 hours ago, Black_Bird said:

1. Run too Milton looking for help and let some scarf piece behind to allow Will to find her path. 

I'm don't think that leaving pieces of her scarf on the limbs of a fallen tree was a deliberate action on her part.

2. She was forced by a animal or a prisoner to run away 

Where did you get this information? The events of episode one don't imply anything of this level of specificity with regards to the Astrid's actions.

During that, the bus of prisoner get crashed at the entry of the tunnel after milton. The prisoner who survived get out of the Bus and they go to Milton. 

Some thing went wrong with the inhabitant of Milton, they burn a part of them by accident in the School. 

Astrid get here at this moment and try to save the Inhabitants but it's too late.

The prisoner try to kill her so she start to fight with them, kill one of them but get wouded.

She run away and pass trough the stone of the tunnel and survive. 

If she run away and don't get cought by the prisoner because she was small enough to pass the landslide, who can we find Mathis and 5 prisoners dead body in the mystery lake ? 

In this situation where astrid pass the landslide, the prisoners are trapped inside Milton. Am I wrong ? 

Again, where did you get this information? The events in episode one tell nothing at this level of specificity. I'd say that about 96% of the events experience by the people who aren't Will and Grey Mother during episode one are, as of now, unknown.

• Upvote 1

I for one am going to have to play the bloody thing again from the start before I try Episode 3, because I can't remember what happened. Unless they include some kind of story re-cap at the beginning of Ep3, I guess.

However, there is a point here, I think. We're all assuming that Astrid made it through the tunnel, aren't we? But the bus crashed into the landslide that blocked the tunnel, and Astrid was there after the bus crashed. So how would she have got through the tunnel? Or did she go over or around the blockage? And if she did, why couldn't Will go that way as well?

Jeremiah didn't seem to think that she came through Mystery Lake (or am I remembering that wrong?).

So how did she get out of Milton?

And how did the prisoners get to Mystery Lake without a rope to climb down the cliff from Milton Park?

(Methuselah got down there by materialisation, due to being, as he is, a supernatural entity!)

Edited by Pillock

22 hours ago, shade_grey said:

Where did you get this information? The events of episode one don't imply anything of this level of specificity with regards to the Astrid's actions.

Here I don't have any proof, Im just thinking those are the two main possibility for her to go to Milton whitout her briefcase and Will

22 hours ago, shade_grey said:

Again, where did you get this information? The events in episode one tell nothing at this level of specificity. I'd say that about 96% of the events experience by the people who aren't Will and Grey Mother during episode one are, as of now, unknown.

For this part we have some informations by the grey mother, and the prisoner Hobbs. If you played the Redux you meet Hobbs and he explain that they (the prisoner) burned the school with some ihnabitants inside and that astrid tried to save the people inside the burning school so we can easily understand how all must have went.

1. The aurora : consequence -> The crash of the plane and the crash of the bus.

2. The prisoner get out of the bus and go to milton. Astrid go to milton

3. The prisoner burned (apparently by accident) the school and Astrid arrives at this moment to try to save the people inside.

4. Astrid fight with the prisoner and run away. 

I would say there is one inconsistency.  Hobbs states that Astrid was "Somehow small enough to squeeze through the crushed part".  This implies that while it was passable, not everyone was small enough to get through.

The inconsistency is that Mathis (the guy who ambushes Will at the end of Episode 2) seems to have knowledge of Astrid, and definitely doesn't look small enough to squeeze through anything.  If he were towards the back of the bus, and survived the crash with Hobbs, then he would not have been able to leave Milton.  There are no exits out of the region, until Will creates one using Lily's gear.  If he were towards the front of the bus, you could argue he was ahead of the collapse, and simply exited the bus out the front door.  Followed the highway to some new region, perhaps Perseverance Mills, then hit Pleasant Valley, then the Winding River, and reached Carter via the back entrance.  Plausible....but then he would have had zero knowledge of Astrid.

Although I don't think we're really meant to be picking this apart with a fine toothed comb.  Like we used to say in this old creative writing group I was part of years ago, "Matrix Drill".  It's basically a way of saying "There are no plot holes," and just ignore it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

If he were towards the back of the bus, and survived the crash with Hobbs, then he would not have been able to leave Milton.  There are no exits out of the region, until Will creates one using Lily's gear. If he were towards the front of the bus, you could argue he was ahead of the collapse, and simply exited the bus out the front door.  Followed the highway to some new region, perhaps Perseverance Mills, then hit Pleasant Valley, then the Winding River, and reached Carter via the back entrance. 

And there's another dead convict found along the Lake River... Maybe he managed to get out along with Mathis.

On 6/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, ajb1978 said:

If he were towards the back of the bus, and survived the crash with Hobbs, then he would not have been able to leave Milton.  There are no exits out of the region, until Will creates one using Lily's gear.  If he were towards the front of the bus, you could argue he was ahead of the collapse, and simply exited the bus out the front door.  Followed the highway to some new region, perhaps Perseverance Mills, then hit Pleasant Valley, then the Winding River, and reached Carter via the back entrance.  Plausible....but then he would have had zero knowledge of Astrid.

Although I don't think we're really meant to be picking this apart with a fine toothed comb.  Like we used to say in this old creative writing group I was part of years ago, "Matrix Drill".  It's basically a way of saying "There are no plot holes," and just ignore it.

Even in the second possibility is not possible for me the front of the bus is just crush under the rock because :

The tunnel is very long it's not like a door. You have to walk like at least 100 meters to get to the exit so: the landslide isn't like a wall with like 50 cm of width. It's an enormous number of rocks of fell so it's more like 10 meters of width

I don't know if you understand what I meant but I think you get the idea don't you ? 

4 minutes ago, Black_Bird said:

Even in the second possibility is not possible for me the front of the bus is just crush under the rock because :

The tunnel is very long it's not like a door. You have to walk like at least 100 meters to get to the exit so: the landslide isn't like a wall with like 50 cm of width. It's an enormous number of rocks of fell so it's more like 10 meters of width

I don't know if you understand what I meant but I think you get the idea don't you ? 

There is nothing to suggest that the collapse was uniform.  And the fact that Astrid made it through (if she didn't, there would be no episode 3) indicates that an exit out the front of the bus had to be possible.  Otherwise she'd spend the entirety of Episode 3 hiding in a half-collapsed bus.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

There is nothing to suggest that the collapse was uniform.  And the fact that Astrid made it through (if she didn't, there would be no episode 3) indicates that an exit out the front of the bus had to be possible.  Otherwise she'd spend the entirety of Episode 3 hiding in a half-collapsed bus.

Yeah but if you go back and lock to any video of the bus cinematic like this one at 10:10, we can clearly see that the bus is facing toward the ground, so the head of the bus is clearly crushed and if you look inside th bus, we see that he is filled of snow/wood/rocks... 

And we can even see that the bus is not inside the tunnel but like 5 meters away from the entrance so I clearly don't see how astrid and The prisoner went out of milton 

And if you look at the image from the Dev Diary... you can clearly see that the front end of the bus is intact, crushed past the driver seat area. The front door may or may not be able to be opened. But that windshield, smashed out, would be an easy choice to escape the bus into the tunnel.

1308453121_PrisonBus.thumb.jpg.07a253337b492c82fb7b54da35734191.jpg

• Upvote 2

The prisoners who made it through to Mystery Lake didn't go through the bus and the tunnel, I don't think - because the road doesn't go to Mystery Lake.

I think they must have climbed over the rocks to reach the transition area below Milton Park, and we just have to accept that NPCs are able to do such things while we are not.

I get the feeling that Mathis is one who doesn't tell truth to get what he wants. Which made me rethink a lot of stuff as we are all assuming that all the information that is being told to us is the truth and no one is lying to us, especially made me rethink what Hobbs said too.

I figured, and this is speculation, that if Mathis was lying that it wouldn't take too long for a perceptive person to see Will's ring and assume he was looking for his wife and leverage that against him.

Edited by XaldinVii
More to add.
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Actually I just thought of something else that's a little inconsistent.  if you line up the regional maps with the world map, using rivers and lakes as guidelines for how to rotate them, we see that there is a big space east of Mountain Town, north of Mystery Lake, and west of Pleasant Valley.  Since Astrid would have exited Milton via that tunnel, she would arrive in this hitherto unrevealed region, which is heavily implied to be Perseverance Mills.  (Based on Jeremiah saying it's a "shit nothing town a few hours north" in predux, and this hypothetical region is indeed due north of Mystery Lake.) And also in predux he gave Will explicit instructions that once in Pleasant Valley to stop at Signal Hill, and if the radio doesn't work, follow the road north to Perseverance Mills.  However...the road does not run north/south, but east/west.... The road itself is north of Signal Hill though, so perhaps that's what he meant.

Anyway this all strongly suggests that Perseverance Mills is the missing region.  So here's the rub: If Astrid was going to so much trouble to get TO Perseverance Mills, why did she instead blow right through it and end up in Pleasant Valley?

The only explanation I can think of is that while Will was grocery shopping for Grey Mother and getting his stab on with the Old Bear, Astrid already had her adventure in Perseverance Mills, and had to proceed to Pleasant Valley for some reason.