Cannibalism?

Master_Superninja418

This suggestion gets a no from me.   I think the game has demonstrated that it's not necessary to cross over the "gruesome" line to "nail" the survival aspect of a game in its early stages since it has been generally praised for doing just that.  True, the game can start to drag a bit as people start to feel more secure (once they learn how to hunt), but that's precisely when cannibalism would become unnecessary to survive as well... so, adding it would serve no point, IMO.

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 hours ago, Master_Superninja418 said:

I know this is a very gruesome and disgusting thing but in a survival situation like this, when you want to do any to survive, could this be a possibility? There are heaps of corpses lying around

While we like to leave conversations like this open to people to debate the merits of Wish List suggestions, it should be said that there is no consideration of adding this to the game at this point and it's unlikely to change.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

So I searched the forum index... there is a much larger amount of posts on this topic than I would have guessed...

I feel like this is just a convenient segue toward people wishing for a Wendigo in game or Wendigo affliction. :D 

(and to add my two cents, I am not in favor of the idea and I am glad to see that there is presently no consideration for it)

Edited by ManicManiac

36 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

:peaches: Check the description for cans of beans, then read ingredients.

Do you mean the actual label where it does not mention meat at all... or the part where it says "looks like pork?"  Maybe it's just me, but "Looks like pork" does not equal "Long Pig."  :) 

• Like 2

The only corpse interaction I would support would be the option to bury them, or burn them on a funeral pyre.  Perhaps as an additional "collectible", like buffer memories or notes left behind.  Call it "Victims Laid to Rest".

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The only corpse interaction I would support would be the option to bury them, or burn them on a funeral pyre.  Perhaps as an additional "collectible", like buffer memories or notes left behind.  Call it "Victims Laid to Rest".

I am not sure about burying corpses, in snow and potentially frozen, rocky soil. But the funeral pyre idea is one I have liked for some time, and would be behind. 

As far as eating the corpses we find... no. As long as we have other sources of food available, it is a cultural taboo that does not need to be broken. Yes, I know the survivors of Uruguayan Flight 571 did eat human flesh to stay alive, the difference is, they had no other real options. No other food sources available for them. We do not face this extreme situation in The Long Dark. We have hunting, fishing, animal carcasses to harvest. Can't really wrap my brain around why people keep wanting to eat other humans in this game., or why some people like Jeffrey Dahmer, even with his various MI diagnosis, do so IRL, by choice.

Just... no.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

However, corpses are most valuable gamewise when left out in the snow since they provide an ongoing focus point for crows and allow players to gather feathers indefidentely.  I think it is realistic for someone alone in a frozen wasteland survival situation to just leave them where they fell., since moving them would be arduous work.   Perhaps we could find a letter or note on each corpse and then be able to add them to a place of respect somewhere on the map instead.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

However, corpses are most valuable gamewise when left out in the snow since they provide an ongoing focus point for crows and allow players to gather feathers indefidentely.  I think it is realistic for someone alone in a frozen wasteland survival situation to just leave them where they fell., since moving them would be arduous work.   Perhaps we could find a letter or note on each corpse and then be able to add them to a place of respect somewhere on the map instead.

Yup you certainly wouldn't be forced to bury them.  Gameplay wise I use them as an extra storage container, but can you imagine someone doing that in real life?  This frozen corpse outside, skin slowly shriveling and turning black...and someone's storing candy bars in their pockets.  Nuh-uh!

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Yup you certainly wouldn't be forced to bury them.  Gameplay wise I use them as an extra storage container, but can you imagine someone doing that in real life?  This frozen corpse outside, skin slowly shriveling and turning black...and someone's storing candy bars in their pockets.  Nuh-uh!

I seldom use them a storage containers and will generally drop things in piles on the floor of caves instead.  When I learned that keeping food and other items caused them to disappear when they ran out of condition, I stopped putting such things into containers.  I will still store tools in backpacks and other containers in the world, but I don't use corpses for that purpose.  I am thankful though that at least it isn't like Fallout 4 where you can wind up stripping corpses that are  fixtures in the world and are unable to dress them again if you do.  I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally stripped the corpose of the lady upstairs in the Taffington Boat House and instantly regretted it.

2 minutes ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

I think this would be pointless. In my many hours of playing TLD I never once been in a situation like "Man i'm all out of food and have no way to get more, I wish I could eat these frozen corpses nearby"

Agreed... especially when there are always delicious bunnies in every region.  :D 

1 hour ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

I think this would be pointless. In my many hours of playing TLD I never once been in a situation like "Man i'm all out of food and have no way to get more, I wish I could eat these frozen corpses nearby" . There are plenty of other ways to get food and I don't think we need these "extreme" ways to be added.

I have many times

Guest kristaok
On 6/7/2019 at 2:42 PM, Admin said:

While we like to leave conversations like this open to people to debate the merits of Wish List suggestions, it should be said that there is no consideration of adding this to the game at this point and it's unlikely to change.

Thank goodness! 

On 6/7/2019 at 2:21 PM, Master_Superninja418 said:

I know this is a very gruesome and disgusting thing but in a survival situation like this, when you want to do any to survive, could this be a possibility? There are heaps of corpses lying around

No thanks. I'm not going to eat a man. I'd rather put a bullet in my head. Well, or this bullet will shoot local livestock unless of course it is. But being a cannibal is bad. It's like eating yourself.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:42 PM, Admin said:

I don't think there's anything to discuss. Cannibalism is despicable in all its forms. Even if there's nothing to eat. No way out.

• 1 month later...
Guest jeffpeng

I'm just flabbergasted how reliably this topic keeps coming up, and I'm quite happy this isn't really dignified with more than a few "no"s.

So: no.

But big +1 on the burying achievement @ajb1978.