Flying Goat

hozz1235

This brings up another important question... why doesn't the game map clear off the "black" when we use charcoal in this section of Mountain Town?  It's been bothering me for a while now. :) 

305620_screenshots_20190604171436_1.jpg.592fce2687c266ab0feabe689e1016bf.thumb.jpg.16865d56aacbdcfcedd032f51cb49cb2.jpg

@Admin, is this something the team is tracking?

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Probably because we were not meant to go there.

Oh I wasn't talking about where you managed to get too... good job by the way.  I'm sure @Ice Hole would be proud. :) 

I'm talking about that area in the north end just past the trailer on the hill (and a little beyond)... there is a cave there / the transition marker to Hushed River Valley, and all those other things that appear as map markers; so I would say that's definitely part of the playable area... but the "fog of war" effect doesn't clear out after you map that area.

Edited by ManicManiac

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

but the "fog of war" effect doesn't clear out after you map that area.

Charcoal behaves differently on many of the maps, and I'm not sure if that's a bug or on purpose.  It's been like that forever though.

For example, pre-Desolation Point maps (ML, PV, CH, TWM) take elevation into account when you use charcoal.  Any terrain higher than your vantage point stays black when using charcoal, necessitating you doing some pretty creative goating to get high enough to fill in all the spots.  Post-DP maps always fill in the full circle, regardless of how high or low you are on the map.  And then there's the Ravine, which for some reason reveals ovals, instead of circles.  And the Winding River is just a clustercuss overall that doesn't seem to follow anyone's rules.

20 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

What started off as an innocent goating expedition in Mountain Town

Tried to warn others of this issue around Milton.  There are invisible barriers all over the area.  Some can be death traps. 

What you are walking can be deadly.   Suddenly you could start falling.  Did you return to a previous save or continue to see how far this extends?

I had a similar experience in the same area but I fell.  Was playing on pilgrim so I managed to survive, but a similar event happened to me on interloper in TWM and only a fraction of this height resulted in a fall that wasted the survivor.

20 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

305620_screenshots_20190604171603_1.jpg

This is likely due to a surface mesh that was moved or edited.  Or perhaps it is the devs trying to wall us in to keep us from escaping. 

Scapegoats are not allowed in The Long Dark.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:36 PM, ajb1978 said:

Charcoal behaves differently on many of the maps, and I'm not sure if that's a bug or on purpose.  It's been like that forever though.

For example, pre-Desolation Point maps (ML, PV, CH, TWM) take elevation into account when you use charcoal.  Any terrain higher than your vantage point stays black when using charcoal, necessitating you doing some pretty creative goating to get high enough to fill in all the spots.  Post-DP maps always fill in the full circle, regardless of how high or low you are on the map.  And then there's the Ravine, which for some reason reveals ovals, instead of circles.  And the Winding River is just a clustercuss overall that doesn't seem to follow anyone's rules.

I mountain goated up to a spot to test if it was that. No dice. I think it's a bug.