Marsh Ridge in FM

stratvox

That would be a worthwhile experiment, come on, show some initiative and put your name on it! It's not as insane and pointless as testing if a barricade of multiple campfires can stop a charging bear (sorry @Bronco, my bad), and if things turn bad you can retreat to the tunnel. As for myself, I personally tried a campfire in a hollow tree against a raging blizzard, and it kept burning.

On the other hand, the whole topic "Hidden caves" is about finding nameless windproof places, so maybe it already has been covered.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

Just my theory right here, but its something to consider. I assume you mean the outdoor cave where the backpack and box and fireplace (and sometimes a corpse) spawns in, right? 

I think whether or not it is 100% windproof in TLD when it comes to outdoor shelters, it depends on the first notable temperature drop. I think this the game treats as some sort of "barrier" where you are transitioning from the 100% outdoor weather into the decreased outdoor weather area, and I would guess this area is no longer affected by the wind. At least that would be my guess. (in fact, the drop in itself could be a transition from wind-affected area to windproof area)

To demostrate what I mean: Imagine your general outdoor cave (for example the one in Ravine, close to Mystery Lake entrance). If you placed the fire by the very entrance, where the temp doesnt recognize cave yet, it would not be wind resistant. If you place it a bit into the cave, it is still fairly cold there, but already less cold then before... and in this instance, I have never had the wind blow up my campfire, even if it was straight blowing "into" the cave. Of course, best is to place it in the back of the cave where its the warmest. 

But I havent done any tests to specifically confirm this. however, if that place is not treated as an "outdoor" cave but only as a hole in between two rocks, and there are no temperature drops, I think that in theory, if the wind blew straight in, it could blow out your fire.

1 hour ago, Doc Feral said:

I personally tried a campfire in a hollow tree against a raging blizzard, and it kept burning.

As someone who actually died to this I can confirm this is not always the case. A fire can be blown out by wind if its placed in the hollowed out trunk. Although I admit it could have been a bug on my part - happened only once to me when I placed a fire into the hollowed out trunk in a patch of trees under the final rope climb to Summit. 

You can place it during the blizzard - but if the wind shifts from a certain direction, I am quite confident the fire can be blown out. Still, the chance of that is probably very small, thus I think that as a last case scenario, fire inside a hollowed-out trunk is not a bad plan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

A fire can be blown out by wind if its placed in the hollowed out trunk. Although I admit it could have been a bug on my part - happened only once to me when I placed a fire into the hollowed out trunk in a patch of trees under the final rope climb to Summit. 

You can place it during the blizzard - but if the wind shifts from a certain direction, I am quite confident the fire can be blown out. Still, the chance of that is probably very small, thus I think that as a last case scenario, fire inside a hollowed-out trunk is not a bad plan.

That's sad. Now I feel compelled to try again. I had one burning in Pleasant Freeze-your-arse-into-oblivion Valley for days, with several blizzards...

6 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

As for myself, I personally tried a campfire in a hollow tree against a raging blizzard, and it kept burning.

The hollow tree up in the Muskeg Overlook can be blown out by a blizzard. Nearly killed my long run guy because I thought it would be okay.

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

A fire can be blown out by wind if its placed in the hollowed out trunk.

It's entirely possible that would depend on the tree... what might be safe in some trees won't be safe in others.

3 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I had one burning in Pleasant Freeze-your-arse-into-oblivion Valley for days, with several blizzards...

Which tree was that? Like I said, it's possible that that one is okay, while the one up on FM's Muskeg Overlook is not.

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I think whether or not it is 100% windproof in TLD when it comes to outdoor shelters, it depends on the first notable temperature drop.

That's a good point. I expect I will be up there again soon; I'll have to see if that exists in that particular spot or not. 

The interesting thing about that cave is that it's possible to build a snow shelter in it; it may be that a fire at the very back of the "cave" will be okay and with a snow shelter closer to the entrance that could be a solid hang space.

Just figured I'd pick the hive mind's brain before experimenting myself. Those kinds of experiments can be dangerous.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stratvox said:

The hollow tree up in the Muskeg Overlook can be blown out by a blizzard. Nearly killed my long run guy because I thought it would be okay.

It's entirely possible that would depend on the tree... what might be safe in some trees won't be safe in others.

Which tree was that? Like I said, it's possible that that one is okay, while the one up on FM's Muskeg Overlook is not.

Just figured I'd pick the hive mind's brain before experimenting myself. Those kinds of experiments can be dangerous.

That tree. It's uphill from Three Strikes going in the general direction of Skeeter's ridge, near the (possible) prepper bunker.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm hearing (reading) that some hollowed out trees provide 100% wind protection and others don't?  Seems like a bug to me.  I would think that if HL places one of these objects, they should all behave the same, right?

No, I'd disagree. I mean, if the tree is well sheltered by rocks or a copse of trees on its split side, it would make sense that it would be okay; the one up on the Muskeg Overlook faces directly off the cliff with nothing to stop wind blowing in that particular direction.

It makes sense that some hollow trees could be safe and some not safe under those circumstances.

34 minutes ago, Serenity said:

That cave is very shallow. It may be windproof, but unfortunately it doesn't have cold and warm areas

Aye, but if it's windproof it doesn't really matter that much; if you can get up to a +40 fire going in there and you have decent clothes and roll, you're going to make the night if the fire is protected from getting blown out by the wind.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
36 minutes ago, Serenity said:

That cave is very shallow. It may be windproof, but unfortunately it doesn't have cold and warm areas

In fact that might even be beneficial. The colder it is, the longer a fire will burn. And yes, the air temperature of the player is the deciding factor - not of the fire.