Where is the third season?

Foxy

@Foxy, @Erroneus,

We already know the team is focusing their efforts on the next episode.  We also know that the team is not going to hand out any hard dates...  I urge patience.  Even though the team has been growing and expanding, it's still a relatively small independent studio.

The last I remember reading is that they would like to grow and be able to have two "departments" so they can work on Survival and Story Mode simultaneously, but I don't know if that's happened yet.  They've always had to shift focus back and forth between Survival and Story.

We just got the Steadfast Ranger survival update something like three weeks ago... and they have been doing a lot of work on hotfixes.  I would again urge patience.  I'm sure the team will be eager to share news when they have something to share with us.  Lets give them room to work and show a little faith, we know they are working on it... and we know they do great work.  That's why we are all here.

Hang in there survivors, it's going to be okay... :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

No amount of urging will change that HL will NEVER release dates, they stopped doing such a LONG time ago due to issues in the past. I want Episode 3 and so on just as much as you and anyone else so I can't blame you there, but all we can really do is wait. We will just have to exercise patience, because I have a feeling it won't be out this Year. If it does come out this Year I think it will be later this Year, possibly early next Year but these are just guesses. 

HL going with the decision to do the Redux more than likely pushed Episode 3 etc. back, since they would have had to make it to match the changes they had made in the Redux. This (doing the Redux and pushing back Episode 3 etc.) had to have been a pretty tough decision for the HL Team, a decision I AM glad they made even though I would like to see more (fuller) Updates. But at the same time I can sort of understand why the Updates are slow / lacking, the HL Team is a pretty small Indie Dev Team so they probably currently don't have the full means to pump out Updates like other major Companies can.

As mentioned we are not sharing release dates until we are ready to. We have made a habit in the past of giving dates and then missing them and that doesn’t help anyone. 

Our most recent update for Episode Three is in the March Dev Diary: 

• Upvote 1

Nobody ( or nobody should :) ) is after the team for not doing amazing work, as they have clearly done lots of work on the steadfast ranger update. Buuuuut we are nearing the end of the current console generation, you have to remember some of your users do not play The Long Dark on PC, but on consoles. With next generation of consoles approaching fast, that will move focus from current gen games to next gen games. As I mentioned in my post, luckily we have backward compatibility, but still next gen games will have a lot more focus and attention. Also when moving from current gen to next gen, their will be an performance and quality improvement going to next gen, it can sometimes be hard to go back to "older" games because of these things.

I know your stance on not giving a date, but to be frank it's getting a bit hard to recommend your game to friends, when you have no idea when the next episode is out, and history has shown it's impossible to predict it. I tried, but when people hear the story is not even half done and with no idea when the next episode lands, it turns people away from it. I'm not saying give an exact date, but maybe just a year :)

That's my take on it, whatever you do or don't do, keep up the good work and thanks for replying.

Guest kristaok

@Erroneus That's just how it is with Episodic Games, the Buyers (us) kind of go in taking that risk. It could take Weeks, Months, or even Years to see Episodes released. That's why it's always best to think things through before buying any Episodic type Games. Perhaps you could just be open and honest with your friends and say there is at least 5 Episodes that are promised that will be free, but currently we only have 2 Episodes Completed. Then tell them that even though the Story Mode isn't Completed, we still have a Sandbox Mode that we can play in the meantime. The ball will then be in their court, they can then make in informed decision as to whether they want to Purchase the Game now or wait until the Episodes get released.

Yeah, I'd also like to know, even if it takes a year, at least I'll sleep well knowing when it's coming. I've signed up to HL just so I can express my gratitude for the experience I've had in E1 and E2. I'm so in love with this game! I have notfelt this since HALF LIFE/ Portal days, and I rarely register on gaming websites, I've been checking in every week, soooo looking forward to see all episodes. Please, please... bring it on!!! 😊