Questions about the Revolver?

piddy3825

can somebody please explain the condition per repair action because I am getting different results.  For example, my weapon condition 91% and my cleaning kit is sitting at 16% before cleaning.  I do a single cleaning repair action and my weapon condition improved to 100% and my cleaning kit declined to 10% condition.  I am under the impression the number "4" indicated how much each cleaning action would improve my weapon.  By the same token, I understood that the cleaning kit would deteriorate by 5% for each cleaning action.  Do I have this all wrong or does all that previous rifle cleaning experience somehow impact the firearm cleaning kit since the updates?  I would think the experience earned would be separate for statistical purposes at least.   one a side note, does anyone know how many hits it takes to level up?

screen_36c31323-707a-40a0-beb4-f732018db421_hi.thumb.png.760579516c2e854d6fd2abc28a8c4d4d.png

I'm fairly certain it's not a .44 Magnum as (IRL) this would be as powerful as the .30-30 within 100 meters and therefore easily capable of taking down most of the animals in TLD with ease. As that's not the case (from what I've heard, I only ever use it defensively and have little personal experience with it in game) I'd wager it's a .357 Magnum and the ammo is just all ball (FMJ) ammo. This is still a round that can take down deer and wolves IRL and with proper shot placement could take down a black bear (I'd personally never trust anything below a .44) so it fits better. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Willy Pete said:

I'm fairly certain it's not a .44 Magnum as (IRL) this would be as powerful as the .30-30 within 100 meters and therefore easily capable of taking down most of the animals in TLD with ease. As that's not the case (from what I've heard, I only ever use it defensively and have little personal experience with it in game) I'd wager it's a .357 Magnum and the ammo is just all ball (FMJ) ammo. This is still a round that can take down deer and wolves IRL and with proper shot placement could take down a black bear (I'd personally never trust anything below a .44) so it fits better. 

I would have to agree that it isn't a .44 Magnum, and I too am inclined to think it's a .357, but it could very possibly be a .40 as well imho.  At any rate, at closer ranges, this handgun does better than fair when it comes to putting down wolves.  if you crouch down and take deliberate aim on a charging wolf and take the shot before they pounce you are almost guaranteed a kill shot.  When sneaking up on grazing deer, a close range shot can drop them in their tracks.  A gut shot or flank shot and the animal may bolt but so far each hit of my trusty sidearm has resulted in the animal bleeding out.  I have taken two bears, each with a single shot, both resulting in mortal wounds which have led to the bear bleeding out over the course of an entire day.  Not so with the moose.  I shot the moose in the head from close range and that merely pissed him off...

Edited by piddy3825
spelling correction

On 6/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, piddy3825 said:

yeah, i already read that and those are not the results I am getting.  Thanks anyway

Well, if you're skill level is 4...you get 4 cleaning pts there, 3 for level 3, 2 for level 2 = 9 pts.  I'm guessing you get 1 pt for level 1 for a total of 10 pts at lvl 4.  I think the Wiki could be clearer...

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Well, if you're skill level is 4...you get 4 cleaning pts there, 3 for level 3, 2 for level 2 = 9 pts.  I'm guessing you get 1 pt for level 1 for a total of 10 pts at lvl 4.  I think the Wiki could be clearer...

Oh, now that does make sense... if I am reading this right, you are saying that it's a cumulative number?  4+3+2+1=10  Well that would explain it then.  Thanks @hozz1235

A single cleaning of the revolver at base skill results in a 5% improvement in condition with each improvement given skill increase being on top of that.  Excepting level 1, each additional level boosts the improvement by the amount indicated for that level, so level 4 giving a +4 to condition improvement should then be a total of up to +9% to firearm condition. So cleaning the revolver which was at 91% results in it being 100%. 

As for the degrading of the cleaning kit, it might be worth remembering that the game is displaying integrers (whole numbers) and not decimal fractions, so it rounds the number displayed. I have found that things like the condition loss in items can be not truly consistent, for whatever reason, and the 16% kit might have been at 15.5% (rounded to 16%) and after losing 5% (or possibly because of the sometimes inconsistent way these things seem to go) maybe a tiny bit more than 5% resulting in a kit condition of 10.4 or 10.49% which gets rounded to 10%. 

It might be a function of how  hard it is for computers to deal with fractional numbers, but for practical purposes, it just happens. 

• Like 1

Is there any data yet on how many hits it takes to get the revolver skill leveled from Level 1 to Level 5 (with and without reading) and, separately, what it takes to get from Level 4 to Level 5?  Do shots fired as warnings count towards leveling up the skill in any way or is it just hits?

Edited by UpUpAway95

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Is there any data yet on how many hits it takes to get the revolver skill leveled from Level 1 to Level 5 (with and without reading) and, separately, what it takes to get from Level 4 to Level 5?  Do shots fired as warnings count towards leveling up the skill in any way or is it just hits?

My understanding is that it takes 70 wildlife "hits" to achieve level 5.  warning shots don't count for anything other than "frightening" wildlife

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

A single cleaning of the revolver at base skill results in a 5% improvement in condition with each improvement given skill increase being on top of that.  Excepting level 1, each additional level boosts the improvement by the amount indicated for that level, so level 4 giving a +4 to condition improvement should then be a total of up to +9% to firearm condition. So cleaning the revolver which was at 91% results in it being 100%. 

As for the degrading of the cleaning kit, it might be worth remembering that the game is displaying integrers (whole numbers) and not decimal fractions, so it rounds the number displayed. I have found that things like the condition loss in items can be not truly consistent, for whatever reason, and the 16% kit might have been at 15.5% (rounded to 16%) and after losing 5% (or possibly because of the sometimes inconsistent way these things seem to go) maybe a tiny bit more than 5% resulting in a kit condition of 10.4 or 10.49% which gets rounded to 10%. 

It might be a function of how  hard it is for computers to deal with fractional numbers, but for practical purposes, it just happens. 

yes, I do believe your onto something here.  Your explanation does explain exactly what I experienced.  I didn't even remotely think about fractional numbers, but it makes perfect sense, now that you've laid it out for me.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

Hmm.. I didn't reread the whole post just now, tho' I have been keeping an eye on it.. If a players' skill level is level 4 and they're getting 4 condition per repair action, you should lose 5% of your kit, and gain 4% on the weapon.  So a 16% kit and a 91% weapon should become an 11% kit and a 95% weapon.  The next cleaning should leave you with a 6% kit and a 99% weapon.  Anything else would be a bug and should be taken up with support IMO.  I have never experienced a drastic decrease/increase in either percentage indicating a cumulative aspect to any calculations.

i think @UTC-10, has the best explanation so far, as it best explains the results I've been seeing.  

• Like 1

100 hits total to reach level 5.  Each fully researched skill book increases your skill by 10 points, so you would need a total of 10 books, 100 revolver wildlife hits, or some combination of the two to reach level 5.

On 7/4/2019 at 7:51 AM, ajb1978 said:

100 hits total to reach level 5.  Each fully researched skill book increases your skill by 10 points, so you would need a total of 10 books, 100 revolver wildlife hits, or some combination of the two to reach level 5.

I actually just achieved level 5 with the revolver recently.  I am wondering if results vary by difficulty or setting for in my play through, it only took 60 wildlife hits to reach level 5.  

I found 4 skill books and 5 revolvers during my forays.  Most were poor in condition require extensive repair.  Not sure if or how repair action affects experience points but it does seem to improve accuracy when taking deliberate aim.

• Upvote 1

Cleaning firearms (rifle or pistol) do not result in skill points. Initially, when the skill was introduced (rifle), it did but since it was not uncommon to find several rifles, all in need of some degree of cleaning, often a lot of cleaning, it was felt that the skill advanced too fast for too little effort so that got changed. 

15 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Cleaning firearms (rifle or pistol) do not result in skill points. Initially, when the skill was introduced (rifle), it did but since it was not uncommon to find several rifles, all in need of some degree of cleaning, often a lot of cleaning, it was felt that the skill advanced too fast for too little effort so that got changed. 

thanks for the heads up.  so in that case, leveling up just takes skill books and wildlife hits.  Apparently no other factors involved?  

21 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

thanks for the heads up.  so in that case, leveling up just takes skill books and wildlife hits.  Apparently no other factors involved?  

I've sometimes wondered if part of it isn't based on a ratio of hits to misses.  Given your input along with ajb1978's data, I suspect it's calculated the same way as the rifle.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, piddy3825 said:

I would have to agree that it isn't a .44 Magnum, and I too am inclined to think it's a .357, but it could very possibly be a .40 as well imho.  At any rate, at closer ranges, this handgun does better than fair when it comes to putting down wolves.  if you crouch down and take deliberate aim on a charging wolf and take the shot before they pounce you are almost guaranteed a kill shot.  When sneaking up on grazing deer, a close range shot can drop them in their tracks.  A gut shot or flank shot and the animal may bolt but so far each hit of my trusty sidearm has resulted in the animal bleeding out.  I have taken two bears, each with a single shot, both resulting in mortal wounds which have led to the bear bleeding out over the course of an entire day.  Not so with the moose.  I shot the moose in the head from close range and that merely pissed him off...

I can't speak to the performance aspect, but the visual model of the revolver looks similar to a Smith & Wesson Model 29 , although the grip is a bit more stretched out and less vertical. The S&W Model 29, using the .44 Magnum cartridge, became crazy famous in the seventies after the Clint Eastwood movie Dirty Harry. The one in the game uses one of the shorter barrels, I think.

Anyways, I'm not saying it IS this specific revolver, I'm just saying the visual model looks very similar, and the Model 29 is the likely inspiration.

305620_screenshots_20190603181441_1.jpg

800px-Smith_&_Wesson_.44_Magnum_Revolver.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

Anyways, I'm not saying it IS this specific revolver, I'm just saying the visual model looks very similar, and the Model 29 is the likely inspiration.

The Model 19 (in .357 Magnum) would also fit the billet, most of those older S&Ws have similar features.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

Raph already spoke about it in Dispatch 34:

"If I tell you it's a XX calibre, you'll start comparing the in-game behaviour to what you know of the real-world equivalent which is irrelevant.
The Revolver is "good at deterring wolves" calibre and the Rifle is "better chance of taking down a Bear if you're lucky" calibre. :) " 

Edited by ManicManiac

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've also wondered what the caliber of the revolver is as well.  My best guess would be one of five possible cartridges... 1) .357 Magnum 2) .41 Magnum 3) .44 Magnum 4) .45 Long Colt or 5) .454 Casull.  Keeping in mind that the environment is sparsely populated out in or near wilderness, and considering a lot of the animals nearby are medium to large game (with the exception of wolves), I can't really see the .357 being it, although it is certainly far from being a weak round, it's not something I would carry on my side out in or near the wilderness.  Can't really see it being a .45 Long Colt either due to it's lack of energy compared to all the other rounds (unless you were talking about hot hyper rounds like Buffalo Bore, Grizzly and Underwood, then the energy is pretty close to the bigger rounds, but those brands are modern ammunition).  Also thinking the .454 Casull being kinda iffy considering that it is certainly the most powerful cartridge I've listed here, it was only introduced in late 1959 but it didn't go mainstream until 1997, and the design of this revolver in the game looks fairly old, which kinda leaves me to think the revolver is either a .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum.  And it does certainly look S&W inspired, being either J-, K- or N-frame.