piddy3825

Questions about the Revolver?

Recommended Posts

So been on a Revolver quest since the updates and have been retracing my steps, covering old ground looking for bullets and this elusive handgun.  Found 3 small arms books so far and 33 rounds of ammo.  After working my way back to the hunting lodge on BRR, I finally found my first pistol in the backseat of the car parked outside of the lodge.  Found some bullets inside the lodge so was worth the hike.  I am more book smart now than practically experienced having spent 15 hours studying the small arms primers.

screen_4b8f4a11-194a-4118-806f-d1cfe4d546c1_hi.thumb.png.a7dd9c7435f13bcfdf0fda189243a8cd.png

looks like a pretty decent handgun, not too sure about the caliber however,  I'd venture to guess .38 or .357 or maybe even .44 magnum or .45???  When you look down the bore,  yeah, that looks like a fairly large caliber, definitely isn't a .22 that's for certain.  

screen_4bf3db72-8294-44f7-b273-d0e7bb1d485d_hi.thumb.png.b68f5591372203eb986869ffc22d1352.png

What are the popular big bore handgun sizes in Canada?  I tried dropping a single bullet so I could hold it up for a little visual exam, but the game just replicates a box so I wasn't able to hold up a round for a quick pic.  All those boxes however do make my workbench look fuller...

 

screen_eeddae09-ea4a-4140-80d5-b2f7597e23ad_hi.thumb.png.cb6f63a3abe6e72ee69749a8aaa17824.png

The gun I found was at 100% condition right from the get go, which probably explains why I haven't found any cleaning kits.  Does anyone know if there are plans to include cleaning kits for the revolver or can they just turn the rifle cleaning kit into a generic gun cleaning kit.   Considering how many rifle cleaning kits I have at have never been used, it would make sense to make those kits do double duty and clean both firearms.  

I haven't shot mine yet, not wanting to waste the few bullets I've managed to find so far.  I understand the intent was for the revolver to be used more for defensive purposes, but how does it do as a hunting weapon?  Probably makes a great wolf killer , or doesn't it?    Well, thanks for reading!  Your thoughts, feedback and commentary are greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@piddy3825
The "Rifle" cleaning kits have been renamed to "firearm" cleaning kits.  You use the existing cleaning kits for both.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@piddy3825
The "Rifle" cleaning kits have been renamed to "firearm" cleaning kits.  You use the existing cleaning kits for both.  :) 

well thank you!  I should probably read those update notes closer.  Brilliant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been using it as my struggle weapon for wolves.  Something about popping 'em right the face!  Payback for all those years of ruining my favorite wool ear wraps!

Also, great for hunting rabbit!  Let them walk within a couple feet of you and, BLAM!  Easiest way I've found to raise the skill.

I popped about 10 rounds into a bear once...so I wouldn't recommend hunting larger game with it.

Edited by hozz1235

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't do as good a job scaring wolves off as I had hoped, they rarely run from just the gunshot itself if you don't hit them, so beware.

Rabbit hunting is easy as all hell with it. Just set up so one is running right at you, aim in front of it, let it run into your shot and explode it.

I've also found some surprising success on deer, bringing one down in two hits to the neck area. Because of their size and the fact you can shoot the handgun while crouching, they're fairly easy to hit and will bleed out eventually. Since revolver ammo is much more plentiful than rifle cartridges, if you have the patience this is a really effective way to hunt deer. Unless you'd rather save your ammo for defensive purposes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LostRealist said:

It doesn't do as good a job scaring wolves off as I had hoped, they rarely run from just the gunshot itself if you don't hit them, so beware.

I think the wolf fleeing behavior might be a little buggy anyways... I've been having more and more instances where throwing a rock (even ones that hit them square on the head) cause them to "flee" right at me instead of going the opposite direction away from where they were struck.  This sucks, when you are trying to drive off a wolf and you end up with it yelping up close to you... then it "resets" and chews your face off.  It's admittedly frustrating.

I'm curious if they are set to just flee in a random direction when they get spooked and I am just terribly unlucky... of if there is a bug in that behavior.  (if anyone can share any insight please do)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I've been using it as my struggle weapon for wolves.  Something about popping 'em right the face!  Payback for all those years of ruining my favorite wool ear wraps!

Also, great for hunting rabbit!  Let them walk within a couple feet of you and, BLAM!  Easiest way I've found to raise the skill.

I popped about 10 rounds into a bear once...so I wouldn't recommend hunting larger game with it.

"In Your Face!!!"  lol, you make me look forward to doing just that.  So out of curiosity, did the bear eventually bleed out and die?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I'm curious if they are set to just flee in a random direction when they get spooked and I am just terribly unlucky... of if there is a bug in that behavior.  (if anyone can share any insight please do)

There's different intensities of fear.  If you strike terror into them, such as a surprise attack and a non-fatal hit with a weapon that causes bleeding, they will take off running for a minimum of about 10 seconds (I haven't timed it, that's an estimate), but that can persist for well beyond the 10 seconds as long as the wolf can see you.  Essentially, if you sneak up and inflict a bleeding wound without the wolf seeing you, if you then stand up and stay within line of sight, the wolf will continue to run around in a blind panic.  This also occurs if you win a wolf struggle, regardless of how you win.

If the wolf first sees you, a hip-fire that inflicts damage but doesn't kill actually causes the wolf to charge you, same as if you'd aimed your weapon.  Depending on distance and personal skill, it's possible to put 2 or 3 more rounds into a charging wolf before it gets to you.  These additional shots, regardless of whether you hit or miss, will not inspire fear in a charging wolf.

A startle is something like a surprise attack that misses and hits the snow near them, or scaring them with a rock/flare/torch.  That will cause them to run away briefly, but only for like 3-5 seconds.  If you are not out of sight or crouched by the time they recover from being startled, they will be right back on your tail.

Regardless of whether it's mortal terror or just a startle, they will attempt to run away from you immediately.  If they are near any obstacle, then they turn in a random direction.  Which can cause them to basically bounce off a tree and head right back in your direction, or even come running directly at you if they were up against a wall to begin with.  They won't just run around the tree and keep going more or less in the same direction, they always bounce around like a billiard ball any time they encounter an obstacle.  Once the fear ends, they try to resume their normal pathing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ajb1978
I didn't mean to get off topic, but what I've been experiencing was in the relatively open ground at the engine in Echo Ravine.  The wolf would ping me, I would pitch a stone - hit him, but he would just yelp running scared but straight in my direction... and not away from where it was struck by the stone.  That's why I was curious about it.  This also happened to me (but resulting in a struggle) on the path past the abandoned lookout in Costal Highway on the way to Pleasant Valley.  I hit it in the nose with a stone.. it didn't turn and run away, then bounce back... instead it just yelped and ran straight toward me... it reset as I was trying to sprint past it (while it was yelping and fleeing) and promptly chewed my face.  :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have killed a bear in one shot with the revolver: standing on the deck of the Riken and firing into his rump as he walked past. He ran off towards the Lighthouse, and I found him lying dead on the road outside his cave the following day. I was rewarded with a lovely dose of parasites, which helped me regain my very low condition extra fast (because "rest as a resource" is disabled if you have parasites, so you can sleep-regain as much as you want).

If you don't aim the revolver (just fire from the hip), it seems to scare wolves every time, even if they're mid-charge. If you aim it at them, it not only causes an instant charge if they haven't already, but it doesn't scare them off either, even if you hit them - you have to actually bring them down there and then before they reach you. I'd say don't aim the thing at all unless they haven't seen you yet!

I think the effective range might be a lot less than the rifle's as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 6:18 AM, piddy3825 said:

 how does it do as a hunting weapon?  Probably makes a great wolf killer , or doesn't it? 

I've tried it a few in-game days. By reading, your skill levels up quickly. If I remember correctly, at lvl2 you can easily one-shot a wolf. At lvl4, I did kill a bear and a moose with 4 or fewer bullets.

To my opinion, for a long run I would use it as travel buddy, and keep the bow for hunting. I would keep the bullets to be safe while exploring a new area, or when I bring back food to a "camp". It's great at scaring wolves, and can be used to clear a path that you really want/need to be onto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well some wolfs don't mind the gun, could be the game difficulty affection it.. was a pack of wolfs heading my way, 2 out 3 ran 1 jumped me even if I fired some warming shots.. Have taken down wolfs and bunnies with it.. but haven't tried any larger animals.. must admit when I see a moose I run.. O.o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pillock said:

If you don't aim the revolver (just fire from the hip), it seems to scare wolves every time, even if they're mid-charge.

 

I have found very much the opposite to be true. I've gotten lucky once or twice with wolves that were previously unaware of me running off after firing the revolver but wolves that are already aware of me will never run unless I hit them. And I'm playing a custom game with wolf fear set high. So I'm not sure, maybe the whole wolf fear behaviour does have a few little issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@ajb1978
I didn't mean to get off topic, but what I've been experiencing was in the relatively open ground at the engine in Echo Ravine.  The wolf would ping me, I would pitch a stone - hit him, but he would just yelp running scared but straight in my direction... and not away from where it was struck by the stone.  That's why I was curious about it.  This also happened to me (but resulting in a struggle) on the path past the abandoned lookout in Costal Highway on the way to Pleasant Valley.  I hit it in the nose with a stone.. it didn't turn and run away, then bounce back... instead it just yelped and ran straight toward me... it reset as I was trying to sprint past it (while it was yelping and fleeing) and promptly chewed my face.  :( 

I could see that happening.  Those areas look straightforward to us as players, but there's plenty of uneven terrain and obstacles in those areas that can affect pathing.  I wouldn't call that normal behavior, but I wouldn't call it a bug either.  It's more reliable in wide open areas, like the ice in CH, the muskeg, the fields in PV, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

"In Your Face!!!"  lol, you make me look forward to doing just that.  So out of curiosity, did the bear eventually bleed out and die?  

Eventually, yes.

Others have reported one-shotting bear and moose.  I wonder if that was before the nerf they did on the revolver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, Pillock said:

I have killed a bear in one shot with the revolver: standing on the deck of the Riken and firing into his rump as he walked past. He ran off towards the Lighthouse, and I found him lying dead on the road outside his cave the following day. I was rewarded with a lovely dose of parasites, which helped me regain my very low condition extra fast (because "rest as a resource" is disabled if you have parasites, so you can sleep-regain as much as you want).

If you don't aim the revolver (just fire from the hip), it seems to scare wolves every time, even if they're mid-charge. If you aim it at them, it not only causes an instant charge if they haven't already, but it doesn't scare them off either, even if you hit them - you have to actually bring them down there and then before they reach you. I'd say don't aim the thing at all unless they haven't seen you yet!

I think the effective range might be a lot less than the rifle's as well.

Ditto on one shot killing, but only after a long bleed out.  There's that bear cave on CH up on the logging road.  Climbed that tree real far out and crouched down.  Took deliberate aim and fired a head shot.  Struck him on the top of the head as I was looking down at him.  He promptly scampered off.  I climbed down the tree , found the blood spatter and began to follow the trail.  as per usual, a blizzard swept in and I ended up losing the tracks in the freshly falling snow.  After spending the night in the nearby trailer, found the bear's corpse at the intersection of the logging road and coastal highway.  Killed a deer and a wolf in the same fashion.  none were instakills, but each shot fired resulted in the demise of my intended target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know or can anyone tell me if there are an guaranteed revolver spawn points?  Is there a total to the whole island or can there be multiple like the rifle?  Also does the hunter bunker or weapons bunker now also contain the revolver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about guaranteed revolver spawns but it seems likely that you would find at least one in any major region. I typically seem to find two or three in a major region. At least, you should check caves where a corpse has spawned. All the cars and the man-made structures seem "likely" places to find one. My first revolver was in a flower pot in the maintenance yard front office (in another sandbox there was none). 

Not all caches will have a revolver and/or ammunition spawn but in other caches than the hunter/weapon cache, I have found a revolver and, usually, a box or two of ammunition. But no guarantee.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, piddy3825 said:

Does anybody know or can anyone tell me if there are an guaranteed revolver spawn points? 

Raph has stated there are 3 zones which have guaranteed revolvers but I think the locations within these zones can vary:  PV,  HRV, DP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Raph has stated there are 3 zones which have guaranteed revolvers but I think the locations within these zones can vary:  PV,  HRV, DP.

I haven't pushed thru HRV yet in my search, but I did find one in PV in the fishing hut on Pensive Pond.  I found another in DP in a section of one of the joined trailers.  I presume the revolver in HRV would be up by the signal fire?  I found one in a car outside of the hunting lodge and another in a cave up the hill from Camp Office.  So far 4 in total and still looking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I presume the revolver in HRV would be up by the signal fire? 

I've found one there but also laying by the guy with the snow shelter between Reclusive Falls and Valley View Point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

 

  Hide contents

I've found one there but also laying by the guy with the snow shelter between Reclusive Falls and Valley View Point.

curious, would that make two for that region then? or does one spawn point forego the other?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

 

Different playthroughs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Different playthroughs.

gotcha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now