Gun safety while cleaning

Ghosty 1944

I've never fired a rifle to the point of failure but it would be interesting if squib loads were a thing.  Imagine that...you get a muffled misfire, your target is not struck.  You clear the cartridge and if you don't clean it, the next time you pull the trigger the rifle violently explodes in your face dealing both a burn and a bleeding wound, and leaving nothing behind to salvage for parts.

If you consider the possibility of accidental discharge when cleaning a firearm where generally the muzzle would tend to be pointed away from you, try placing a firearm from the radial menu and watch as you handle the firearm by the muzzle so the revolver and rifle is pointed right at you.  At least up to now.  :)

Sounds interesting, but its very niche detail for casual player, who knows nothing about firearm handling. They will see it as a bug.

But with proper animations of unloading and cleaning it could be serious. However no sane person cleans the gun from muzzle of the barrel (except muzzle loaders).

On 5/29/2019 at 5:09 PM, Ghosty 1944 said:

It would be cool if when you don't unload your revolver or rifle before cleaning there would be a 10% chance of you shooting yourself and you could get the blood loss and maybe a gun shot wound affliction and a wasted bullet.

Upvote from me, being a bit of a gun nut I always make sure to unload my rifle before cleaning in (and out of) game. Shoot safe, folks!

• Upvote 3

I would prefer they disable the cleaning option unless the gun is unloaded, so that the game is a reminder to everyone that unloading before cleaning is just the right thing to do.  I'm sure a number of people will forget from time to time to reload the gun and wind up getting mauled when the gun they've leveled at an onrushing bear is unloaded (click).

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 3:33 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

I would prefer they disable the cleaning option unless the gun is unloaded, so that the game is a reminder to everyone that unloading before cleaning is just the right thing to do.  I'm sure a number of people will forget from time to time to reload the gun and wind up getting mauled when the gun they've leveled at an onrushing bear is unloaded (click).

I agree this is probably an easier option to implement. I do like the OP because I would like to promote gun safety wherever possible. I'd be happy in either scenario (accidental discharge when cleaning a loaded gun or the inability to clean the gun if it is loaded). 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 6/5/2019 at 9:33 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

I really like that much better than the accidental-suicide-option.  Since, as you point out, people will probably forget to reload their weapon once in a while the effect is sort-of the same, but it's easier to communicate what went wrong, and as it is an oversight of the player they will not blame RNGesus (and the devs) for ending their 10000 day Stalker run on day 36 looking into the barrel of a loaded gun the wrong way.

In any case: promoting gun safety in a game this way is actually a very good thing. 

23 hours ago, Makex said:

I have never cleaned a gun without removing the bullets first. I just like the fact that it is more secure to handle a firearm without bullets in it.

Fun fact: I used to unload my rifles before storing or cleaning them back when I was still playing Stalker regularly. I guess once you got properly drilled to never store or handle a loaded firearm with any other purpose than to discharge it, I guess you just do it without thinking about it, even in a game. I never really thought about it until I read this thread. :D 

Pretty sure that it is not only not safe, but difficult to do. In order to run a patch through the bore you have got to open the action. Problem is that our character always appears to have a round in the chamber, and I don't see them disable a safety (dangerous way to tote your Enfield, or any gun for that matter). Point is that you'd have to unload at least one cartridge to start cleaning, and if you closed it but then you decided to re open it, there goes another one! At that point, why wouldn't you just unload all of your cartridges for safety and not having to chase them back down to wherever they ejected to. Great idea @UpUpAway95!

14 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Fun fact: I used to unload my rifles before storing or cleaning them back when I was still playing Stalker regularly. I guess once you got properly drilled to never store or handle a loaded firearm with any other purpose than to discharge it, I guess you just do it without thinking about it, even in a game. I never really thought about it until I read this thread. :D 

Force of habit is strong in this one :D 

I remember when i first time cleaned a rifle and didn't know should you take bullets out of it or not. So i played it safe and unloaded the weapon. After some time i read it isn't nessesery in this game but i already had a habit for unloading a weapon everytime.

For me it was no brainer to take of the bullets but it might not for everyone, so it is good if it somepoint is reguirement to unload a weapon before cleaning. If there ever is that mechanism it should do more than just bruising your thigh when rifle hits it because of recoil. It might have multiple outcomes starting from that bruce in your thigh thing.

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2019 at 5:33 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

I 100% support this idea. Teaching gun safety in the game is an excellent addition, isn't overly damaging to normal gameplay, and might just save someone in real life from a nasty accident.