Seasons

Granto

id like to see the sandbox game become seasonal , starting in the deep long winter..but evenually spring arrives then the short northern summer then autumn before back to the bleak long winter again ...

real plant lore could be learned {or be the death of you}..

birds eggs and the like could be harvested , fishing, mushrooms, old mans beard, mosquito swarms.. the list goes on.

bears, moose and other animals from the canadian wilderness acting seasonal,

varying seasonal weather effects ... etc.

whats everyones thoughts on this?

Ps..Brilliant game ...

The Long Dark Episode 1 (currently under development) will take place in the winter. If Episode 1 is successful enough in it's sales, Episode 2 will be developed and it will take place in the spring. Episode 3 will take place in the summer if it ever gets build and I guess you already know by now what season is planned for Episode 4.

I doubt we will see other seasons in the sandbox before the corresponding episodes are released. Making the required models etc is a lot of work.

• 2 weeks later...
The Long Dark Episode 1 (currently under development) will take place in the winter. If Episode 1 is successful enough in it's sales, Episode 2 will be developed and it will take place in the spring. Episode 3 will take place in the summer if it ever gets build and I guess you already know by now what season is planned for Episode 4.

What? Never heard this before but i am excited to hear it. I would love season on the sandbox too but it is hard to imagine it happening, i mean it would be dream come true, different season would give different resources, you would have to prepare for fall and winter.... What i would be concerned is that the gameplay could become too repetitive but different stuff to do on different season could just do the trick. Still, hard to see it happening :cry:

The Long Dark, when completed, will have a full story mode as well as many more additional sandbox maps/zones opened based on the story mode map. This first game will cover Winter gameplay.

If there is enough interest shown after the main project has been completed and released, the Hinterland team currently plan to continue the series with The Long Dark 2, which continues the story plot lines, and takes place in a new season (which require new survival strategies appropriately).

Interesting. Are those planned as separate game releases, or some kind of DLC, which will allow you to access all the content through one game?

I'm not positive - I don't think the Hinterland team plan on making any final decisions until the first edition is completely finished first.

That being said, I would expect them to be standalone games... the current maps would be completely rewords to account for the change of paths without snow, different wildlife patters, completely different survival requirements/types/challenges/mechanics, expansion of map areas, additional or different NPC relevant to the continued story line, addition character options, etc.

I'm sure Raph and the team will fill us in if ["when"] the time comes for it... For now they're focussed on building the current world...

But yeah personally I have already started imagining the areas and how they might look in the spring as I travel through the current map :)

Archived