Challenge: Hunted

Arran

I have a problem with challenge Hunted, part 2. I had like 20 attempts and all fails. It looks like this:

1. Bear charges me on exit from house. I shoot him. No matter where I hit him - head, body he mauls me.

2. I go back to cabin to heal up.

3. I follow Bear to Max stand and shoot him. First shot dont do anything, but because of distance I can shoot him again. It doesnt matter, he continue charge and mauls me.

4. I'm left at 10% condition and without clothes I freeze to death before reaching safe spot.

5. Game over.

I double checked and I do score hits - journal shows 3 shots and 3 hits. I have no idea how to complete this challenge. Is it bug or I do something wrong?

• Upvote 1

It's been a while since I've done this, but some guides may help.

As far as leaving the cabin, are you crouched when you exit?  I seem to recall you can shoot him before he begins to charge in which case he flees to next point.

I did try crouching, but it doesnt matter when he is 5m away.

I start suspecting challenge got broken with introduction of spear in wintermute. Challenge bear uses same model, so maybe rifle just deal no damage to him and shots arent counted as progress in challenge.

• Upvote 1

That first shot is the hardest because you basically need to score a critical hit or he eats your face.  The rest, just use normal bear hunting tactics.  Get to a place where the bear's pathing can't reach (such as on the side of a rock or something) and then fire.

• Upvote 1

Same to me. No matter how many times I restart the challenge. The first shot never bleeds the bear. If I shot and run to the stone step close to the cabin door the bear runs but without blood path and gets impossible to make him run without getting mauled.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone complete this challenge recently? Please note when you completed it. I suppose Redux patch was one that broke it.

That is with shooting bear to scare him, as I suppose challenge should not be about surviving mauling until bear gets tired :)

If not I will report this as bug.

The Hunted: Part 2 does have an ending... but probably not the one some folks were expecting.  I'm not really able to speak on whether or not it's bugged out... but landing a shot should be able to drive off the bear (though sometimes not, sometimes it triggered a charge).  I didn't consider this a bug, but rather tense & exciting moments.  I never knew whether the shot would drive it off or just make it supper pissed at me. :D  I love that freight train of hate and hunger!

Also, remember that in these challenges were are not dealing with the "average bear"... this fella is The Old Bear (and all that that implies).

Though what @ajb1978 said was spot on... the first time you have to square off with the bear needs to be a well aimed/critical shot (also note that in terms of mechanics I think all that has to happen to trigger the struggle/attack is for you to come into contact with the bear's "hit box" - as in it touches you, it's got you).  Please if anyone knows specifics, correct me if I am wrong.

Landing a shot, but it having no discernable effect at all?  That does sound like a bit of a bug.  You should definitely report your experience on the support portal.

For me to elaborate any more on the challenge itself would probably go into what might be considered spoiler territory.  If you do want specifics on the challenge, check out the wiki page: https://thelongdark.fandom.com   This will tell you how it's meant to go down... or if you'd rather, just continue the hunt and "see where it leads you."

11 minutes ago, Hawk said:

This is what I was talking about when I said that the challenge wasn't finished yet. :)

I have nothing whatsoever to back this up, but I'm betting Part 3 is going to be something along the lines of "The Bearkiller Rifle was destroyed, but you survived the attack.  The bear is now sleeping.  You must sneak away, and your only hope now is to reforge Spence's old bear spear."

Basically the final chapter of Episode 2, except you are playing as Jeremiah in a world where Will never showed up.

Edited by ajb1978

I just tried it. First (then second, and then third) time ever, since I've never tried challenges before. Part 1 was easy, got to the Dam, confused the fatty with a decoy, ran for the gate and locked it inside. Then made a forced march all the way to the Cabin.

As a general suggestion, when you leave the Cabin the bear will be in front of you. Don't bother crouching, make a running dash to the right and dive off the cliff. You'll land on a rock ledge, the bear won't be able to reach you, so it will be offended and run away to talk about its troubles to Max. By the way, how does the "hidden content" thingy work?!

Anyway, I tried it three times, I'm quite sure that at least 25 bullets reached the target, but it never cared nor bled. So I agree that the challenge is totally broken. Maybe a panzerfaust would be better than this so-called Bearkiller?

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

From what I recall when I did this challenge a year or so ago. You have to tag the bear at each location then it runs off, similar to the pre-Redux way to in the story. But I do recall having some trouble tagging the bear successfully. I will try it again sometime in the next few days see what I get too.

• 1 year later...

The main problem I have with Hunted Part 2 is fatigue.  If my fatigue is too great, I need to sleep.  But if I sleep enough to significantly improve my fatigue level the bear and bear tracks disappear.  If I sleep a little I'm exhausted by the time I can get to a safe place to sleep again.

Cold is also a problem.  I realize I can't freeze so being cold is OK from that point.  However I shiver so much that I waste rifle shots trying to hit the bear.