DerpyLemon115

Bottles For Water

Do you think it should be mandatory to find and have empty water bottles to store you water in.  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should we have to find empty water bottles to be able to store boiled water? As always leave your reasoning as a reply if you like. Please be civil if you decide to argue with someone else points and/or reasoning.

I vote yes!

It wouldn't necessarily make the game harder, as long as containers were fairly widely available (especially on the 'friendlier' experience modes).

Needing a cooking vessel to boil water and make hot drinks hasn't made that part of the game more difficult, since the recycled cans you need are not at all scarce - the same could be done for water-carrying items (bottles, flasks, etc). On the harder settings, they could be more rare, and that would make an interesting extra challenge to the game, I think. It also makes the game feel a bit more intuitive.

Posted (edited)

Well this would open another can of worms though... just to name one example, the bottles that we spawn when we collect lantern oil from cooking fish (yes it will also add to any lantern oil bottle we presently carry, but if you don't have one - you get one).

I'm not sure that adding a necessity to find bottles in the world would make the game any more engaging or fun... I mean if part of a revamp to fluid management systems then I could see it come into play.

Though, as is, if you think it's ridiculous to have so many bottles of when stocking gallons/liters of water, then I would suggest not going over board and stocking that much water. :) 

I would posit that before adding the need to scavenge for plastic bottles to store water (and lantern fuel if we are following the logic through to conclusion)... the ability to be able to move small storage containers from one place to another should be more of a priority.  A bigger hitch in my mind is, why can't I pick up and move a small plastic container or a backpack...

---

@DerpyLemon115
It seems like you kind of used the phrasing to bias the question options a little bit :P 

(I mean that in a light hearted way, was not trying to be inflammatory)

Edited by ManicManiac

5 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Well this would open another can of worms though... just to name one example, the bottles that we spawn when we collect lantern oil from cooking fish (yes it will also add to any lantern oil bottle we presently carry, but if you don't have one - you get one).

I'm not sure that adding a necessity to find bottles in the world would make the game any more engaging or fun... I mean if part of a revamp to fluid management systems then I could see it come into play.

Though, as is, if you think it's ridiculous to have so many bottles of when stocking gallons/liters of water, then I would suggest not going over board and stocking that much water. :) 

I would posit that before adding the need to scavenge for plastic bottles to store water (and lantern fuel if we are following the logic through to conclusion)... the ability to be able to move small storage containers from one place to another should be more of a priority.  A bigger hitch in my mind is, why can't I pick up and move a small plastic container or a backpack...

Personally, I think making this change apply to lamp oil containers would actually be far more of an improvement than it would be for water bottles - so it's a can of worms very much worth opening. Having lots of different bottles each with tiny amounts of lamp fuel in them is something I'd be very happy to see the back of. It also bring jerry cans into play as a valuable item (they could introduce an alternative large-capacity storage container for water as well). I think it would make the game more engaging and fun, because it's a little detail that makes everything feel more intuitive and relatable.

@Pillock
And I agree to that extent... but like I was saying, I just feel like this addition would be better served as part of a larger revamp to the fluid management systems in the game over all. :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Pillock
And I agree to that extent... but like I was saying, I just feel like this addition would be better served as part of a larger revamp to the fluid management systems in the game over all. :)

Absolutely. That'd be great! Water being able to freeze would be a good addition as well, while we're at it.

13 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@DerpyLemon115
It seems like you kind of used the phrasing to bias the question options a little bit :P 

(I mean that in a light hearted way, was not trying to be inflammatory)

Well that is not my intention.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

not my intention

:D I'm certain it wasn't the intent...  My internal monologue had just read it with a hint of dry sarcasm that made me chuckle.

Edited by ManicManiac

Posted (edited)

I would say make it similar to the recycled can/cooking pot system.  If you find a bottle of water, you can reuse that empty bottle.  And then introduce canteens, that store even more water than the plastic bottles.

Edit: Also, certain shelters should have water tanks that you can use to store large amounts of water, from which you can fill bottles/canteens.  The camp office, the Pleasant Valley barn, Paradise Meadows, the Fishing Camp, Hibernia, and other such semi-industrial/commercial locations where it would make sense to have a large drum of water.

Edited by ajb1978

If it is added, it could be placed oudoors like litter props and make trash cans an actual good place for loot. 

Water bottle collecting sounds like tedium to me due to even more inventory management etc. I just assume the collection is going on off-screen due to accelerated time.

Huge masses of stored water bottles used to be an issue before the cooking mechanics slowed how much you could boil at a time considerably. Now its only a thing if you used those big stoves or organized multiple camfires, but the multiple campfires ordeal was a huge task gathering firewood and takes all day to prepare so it's pretty balanced. 

I say leave it as is. Yes, the water bottles are magic. I am fine with that. The fact we can carry cups of coffee and teas is magic too. I am also fine with that.
My only suggestion would be to limit how much water we can carry at once. It amuses me that I can make and carry 5 gallons of water if i want to, imagining gallon water bottles tied to my belt or the bottom of my pack, thumping me in the legs as I walk or sprint. Something like 8 liters (2.1 US gallons) feels about right to me. A canteen and a craftable "wineskin" *might* be a nice addition for water storage, as long as Stalker and below would spawn in with one, Loper would need to find them or craft them asap, just like other tools and weapons in that experience mode.Maximum number able to be equipped would be 4, at once. 

Yes, I like my idea, and I am hunkering down and turtling under my s desk right now, since I know others will not find it as appealing. No regrets. :)