Mental health meter

vta4ever

Well, I know I mentioned this before but it I think it bears repeating (even if only to get us back on topic):

I'm not sure how well something like this would really fit into this game... (and I honestly wouldn't like it)

I mean for a Lovecraftian / horror type game, a sanity/mental health meter works fine as a core gameplay mechanic...  I know for a while there was an idea about having something like a photograph or some kind of personal belonging that was meant to give kind of a "will to live" buff or something to that effect.  That the more you used it the quicker it would get worn out... but I think that idea went to the wayside a few years ago.

We do have the cabin fever affliction, but that is an arbitrary condition dependent solely on time spent inside vs. outside (the specifics are not important so I'm skipping them here).  Even with that, there are no mitigating factors at all... it's a firm metric. 

My bottom line here is: Something like a "mental health" or "morale" mechanic would take a lot of nuance to keep it from feeling like a negative consequence instead of just part of the human condition that it truly is... (I'm not wild about the idea of having to deal with a depression simulator)

On 5/26/2019 at 1:43 PM, vta4ever said:

I know we already have cabin fever, but I think that it would be neat to have a mental health meter that is affected by: how much you eat and drink, pre-existing conditions such as one that makes you sad when you kill rabbits or causes mood swings (maybe there could be a badge that effects how many, if any conditions exist), reading a self-help books or adopting a pet rock. good mental health will make you perform actions quicker and burn slightly fewer calories. bad mental health will make you burn slightly more calories and your character can become grumpy, causing him to give up occasionally while performing actions like crafting or sowing and maybe even refuse to get out of bed. what to ya'all think?

this is a horrible idea . the game dont starve have a mental health meter and this is the thing that i whould delete of this game so why adding it to the long dark?

7 hours ago, oplli said:

this is a horrible idea . the game dont starve have a mental health meter and this is the thing that i whould delete of this game so why adding it to the long dark?

The MH meter in Don't Starve is one of the things that confounds me the most in that game, but also make me laugh the hardest. That game is a rather brutal parody of survival, based on complete fiction, alchemy, magic, and fantasy. It is a fun game, but far from any sort of "realistic" depiction of life. Pigs living in houses, making shrines. Playing as a sentient robot. Playing as a girl who can magically start fires, and does when she is stressed, with a magical lighter built into her hands. Don't Starve is a pure parody game. TLD is not truly realistic either, but has a setting, systems, and mechanics that are far more based on "reality" than any game where trees come to life and hunt you down for chopping their friends down, or turning you into an agitated Beaver who needs to eat trees and not pick Evil flowers, possessed by some herbaceous demonic force.

A Mental Heath and Wellness system makes far more sense in TLD, if, and only if, it can be done and expressed in a far more quasi-realistic way, that matches the rest of the game's quasi-realistic basis. That is the problem, and it is not something that seems to be "easy" to do in a video game. The idea may be good, bad, or ugly. But it is interesting to see the different ideas on what people would like, or not like to see in the game.

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
On 6/8/2019 at 8:56 PM, oplli said:

Yup I hated that Game (Don't Starve), I don't know how it's even popular... I think adding a Mental Health Meter would suck for this Game.

• 1 month later...

I think any kind of sanity "meter" would have to be optional; it would ruin the game for about the same number it would enhance. That said, it's all in how it is done I suppose. I'm more in favor of the "morale meter" (not as a meter but you get the idea) myself. It definitely would make for a very challenging setting.

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Jacob32 said:

If you’re really looking for solutions for mental health and wellbeing, contact a certified spiritual life coach. I personally took up this certified spiritual life coach course and I am now better equipped to help people.
If you really want to take care of your health and weight, that should be done healthily too. Healthy life habits will help you maintain it for longer. Unhealthy habits might just put you at even greater risk. 

... I think you're missing the point of this three year old thread...

2 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Will there be an option to OD on pain killers?

And will the “you’re not hungry”  limit be removed so I can over eat and become too heavy to move around?  Adding body weight as a penalty for my total pack load over the course of 500 days…