Will has very strange nerves...

DarKube

Will is a very strange man : he had a wolf which lacerates his arm but he doesn't suffer, he was hit by a moose, thrown to the ground and trampled but he doesn't suffer, he was mauled by an enraged bear but he doesn't suffer. And a little sprained ankle makes suffers for 4 hours ? A little bit weird...

• Upvote 2

This is a good point. I suspect the Pain affliction could use being spread about to some of the other "injuries". Imagine... you need to drink a rosehip tea per day to keep the pain affliction at bay while you're recovering from the Broken Rib affliction. Or if you also received a Pain affliction for each Laceration you receive from a wolf/bear attack. The choice of treating or not treating becomes more salient.

Also, does anyone know if Pain afflictions stack; in particular, as you acquire more Pains, does the distortion to your FoV become more pronounced? That would be interesting... get enough of them stacked up and it could become dangerous.

• Upvote 1

Will has no will to leave a will, but he will.

Apart from sandbox characters NOT being Will, I spent the past gamng week getting multiple sprains and the blurring doesn't stack.

Maybe the adrenaline rush of animal atracks turns off pain.

• Upvote 1

I think having it stack (each additional Pain affliction brings the visual distortion closer to the centre of the FoV) would be a good idea... it would mean that it could become very dangerous for the player to not treat it if they don't have a way to shelter in place until it passes.

A way to have that work might be something like this: you get a pain affliction with the usual effects. Half an hour later you get another one. The first one stops "ticking" and the second one starts, with the pain corona (?) moving closer to the centre of your FoV. A half hour later you get a third... and again a half hour later you get a fourth. By this point you're seeing the world through a little peephole in the middle of the screen. At five the centre of the screen is blurred with the outer edge a kaleidoscope of psychedelic smearing with the five blurs stacked up on top of each other.

At this point it's stacking up like this after four Pain afflictions:

4 + 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 is fifteen and a half hours before you're entirely free of it if untreated with pain pills or rosehip teas. If you treat the latest pain affliction now, you get to 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 -> 10.5 hours before you're free of it and a larger peephole right away.

If you wanted to treat all of them at that point you're looking at 8 pain pills or 4 rosehip teas to make it all better right away. This seems reasonable and realistic. If you choose to wait you would see it gradually move out as each Pain affliction resolvs. You could try crossing the trestle in Ravine without taking any pills but that little peephole would make it more dangerous... also harder to spot wolves at the periphery in the more general course of gameplay.

Broken Ribs could cause a recurring Pain affliction that repops every 12 or 24 hours if untreated until the underlying condition is resolved via 120 hours of rest. Lacerations and burns would also be accompanied by a Pain. Also I suspect that Food Poisoning, Dysentery, and Infection should also be accompanied by Pains. Eventually of course you will run out of Rosehip and Pain Pills and then you'll just have to deal with the Pain Afflictions when they come if you're like me and appreciate the deep game.

Overall idea is that one or two pain afflictions can be completely manageable by waiting them out; your day will suck but it won't really be impairing. However, by the time you get up to having four or five of them stacked up moving about in the open would be dangerous because of how badly it would impair your ability to spot hazards before they become a hazard.

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2019 at 5:49 PM, stratvox said:

I think having it stack (each additional Pain affliction brings the visual distortion closer to the centre of the FoV) would be a good idea... it would mean that it could become very dangerous for the player to not treat it if they don't have a way to shelter in place until it passes.

A way to have that work might be something like this: you get a pain affliction with the usual effects. Half an hour later you get another one. The first one stops "ticking" and the second one starts, with the pain corona (?) moving closer to the centre of your FoV. A half hour later you get a third... and again a half hour later you get a fourth. By this point you're seeing the world through a little peephole in the middle of the screen. At five the centre of the screen is blurred with the outer edge a kaleidoscope of psychedelic smearing with the five blurs stacked up on top of each other.

At this point it's stacking up like this after four Pain afflictions:

4 + 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 is fifteen and a half hours before you're entirely free of it if untreated with pain pills or rosehip teas. If you treat the latest pain affliction now, you get to 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 -> 10.5 hours before you're free of it and a larger peephole right away.

If you wanted to treat all of them at that point you're looking at 8 pain pills or 4 rosehip teas to make it all better right away. This seems reasonable and realistic. If you choose to wait you would see it gradually move out as each Pain affliction resolvs. You could try crossing the trestle in Ravine without taking any pills but that little peephole would make it more dangerous... also harder to spot wolves at the periphery in the more general course of gameplay.

Broken Ribs could cause a recurring Pain affliction that repops every 12 or 24 hours if untreated until the underlying condition is resolved via 120 hours of rest. Lacerations and burns would also be accompanied by a Pain. Also I suspect that Food Poisoning, Dysentery, and Infection should also be accompanied by Pains. Eventually of course you will run out of Rosehip and Pain Pills and then you'll just have to deal with the Pain Afflictions when they come if you're like me and appreciate the deep game.

Overall idea is that one or two pain afflictions can be completely manageable by waiting them out; your day will suck but it won't really be impairing. However, by the time you get up to having four or five of them stacked up moving about in the open would be dangerous because of how badly it would impair your ability to spot hazards before they become a hazard.

You have almost all resume ! 😁

I made a somewhat similar point a couple days ago in a topic about the sprains. I also think the pain affliction should be utilized much more, accompany not only other injuries but also some afflictions - do any of you guys know what a food poisoning feels like? It's painful. And I also agree that pain should be able to stack, e.g. intensify and that the whole painkiller situation needs to be addressed to allow for varying degrees of pain and pain suppression.