Crouching AWAY from Bear... O.O

vidholf

So, I'm up a couple ropes somewhere in Pleasant Valley. Spent a few days there, managed to take down a deer and cook all of it. Go out the next morning to explore and encounter a wolf, who does enough damage to me that I spend the rest of the daylight recuperating. 

So, I notice I'm low on water and think I'll get some firewood and spend half the night melting snow and boiling water, as you do. I've gotten in the habit of crouching while chopping wood, just in case a predator shows up - and I'm thinking that's a particularly good idea since a bear den is just over the ridge from the cave I'm using.

I finish chopping up a cedar limb, and hear crows along with an odd animation effect just as the limb-chopping circle finishes - the effect is kind of like having crows flying right up to me, or maybe their shadows flying over me.

If only...

I get full control of myself and see a bear starting to walk away from me, *easily* within charging range. I back up. It turns around. O.O

Please note I am still crouched at this point. The bear seems to home in on me, but isn't attacking, as such. And so we proceed back towards where my cave is. Once I get there, I have another peek - and he's still there... O.O

I crept back to the back of the cave, lit a fire, and boiled water for half the night before sleeping. With that save point in place, I quit the game. {panicked breathing}

Crouching AWAY from a Bear.gif

Bear Still Following Me.gif

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Twice now I've been on Coastal Highway, I go into one of those cabins on the waterfront, west side of the map by the road.....I finish looting the cabin, step out, and I am only about 10 paces away from a wandering bear......I say, "Nope", turn around go back inside and wonder if what I saw was real. First time this happened I almost had a heart attack. 

Keep in mind, I almost exclusively play on Interloper, or a slightly customized version of Interloper. Also, both times this happened I was barely started on the playthrough, so being attacked by a bear would have been a most likely game-ending set back.

• Upvote 1