FrozenCorpse

This game is screaming for ZOMBIES!!!

Before you go off on me, just read what I have to say first please?

I KNOW Hinterland has made it amply clear, "No Way, No How, Not Ever.. Absolutely, positively NO ZOMBIES in any way, shape or form EVERRR!!!

Fine.  I'm good with it.  See?  No problems.  No reason to flame me or berate me or insist that what I'm suggesting is a horrible idea (because I know that it's not).

The FACT of the matter is, this game is SCREAMING for zombies!  I don't think you realize how perfectly zombies fit into the story-line of this game; only PERFECTLY is all.

Consider this:

Astrid comes to Mackenzie with her mystery case that she has to transport ..wherever.  Her backstory is apparently that of a doctor or scientist or scientist doctor ..person..  Let's just say, for the sake of me winning my argument, that she's a Virologist.  Furthermore, let's say the case has vials of cure, vaccine, or antidote.. but top-secret CDC / Pandemic level stuff.  She can't say anything because they can't risk sparking a global panic.  And then, BOOM.  Geomagnetic Event takes out the grid.  And not just one, or a few... GME's start happening frequently.  It's messing up the weather patterns.. it messing with animal behavior... and all while this unaddressed pandemic is happening somewhere in remote Northern Canada.

Can't you see it?  Some strange mutating virus.. loads of electricity flooding the atmosphere and environment... If ever there was a scenario PERFECT for the reanimation of the dead, this is it!

Now, believe it or not, I don't particularly LIKE zombie games.  I am aware the genre is over-saturated and often serves as a weak excuse to give players a bunch of weapons and explosives to re-kill the invading hordes.  Or whatever: Cheap thrills for angsty teenagers. If I really wanted to play a good zombie game, I'd play Days Gone or State of Decay 2 or something.. that's not my point.  My point is that this scenario could be devastating in this game world.  During GME's (auroras) the infected would be reanimated.  Walking around at night would be friggin terrifying.  Not just the things you might see, the things you would be hearing too.

Could you imagine hanging out in the Carter dam and you're suddenly hearing moaning and sh*t from the bowels of the plant?  Step outside and a half-eaten deer carcass is stumbling towards you?  The sound-stage possibilities are virtually endless!  And it wouldn't have to be just during the day.. GME's can and do happen in broad daylight.  It's just easier to see the effects at night with heightened aurora activity.  So, you're walking down the tracks in broad daylight.. you suddenly hear a transformer nearby start humming and sparking.. nearby light poles are flickering.. lights and electronics are flashing to life (indoors).. and the wolf you shot and skinned 2 days ago suddenly starts twitching and struggling to it's feet.  That frozen corpse in the snow starts flopping around trying to stand it's frozen butt up... There could be some residual capacitance thing with the electrical charges from the GME's.  Maybe the flesh is animated while it going on and for 5-10 minutes afterwards until it dissipates or something.  Maybe throwing water on it allows the stored electricity to drain quickly into the ground (or stuns it if the GME is ongoing)..

My Main point is this:  If ever there was a scenario which could plausibly permit the reanimation of dead tissue and re-ignite brain activity, this viral / GME scenario would be it.  It just seems a waste not to realize it.  They're so close already.

I KNOW Hinterland has plenty of things to keep themselves busy with.  The story is unfinished, there's always room for more regions to explore.. the game keeps getting better and more true-to-life.  I get it.  There's no way it could ever happen.

So, Sure.. we'll never see it.  But Oh, Lord.. How it would be the best nature survival / zombie apocalypse game ever!

Okay, haters... have at it.

• Upvote 2

I dunno about haters, but this could be a good game... just not this game.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Zombies in the game are not needed. At least not this one. She's cool without the zombies. Wolves and bears than not zombies during Aurora :).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing against the OP but if zombies were introduced into TLD I would play the last version prior to that introduction and never again would the game be updated on my computer, even if it weren't finished.

Edited by Hawk
  • Upvote 7

This is the worst suggestion that I have ever seen in this forum.

It is so bad I can only assume that it is trolling.

39 minutes ago, Hawk said:

. . . I would play the last version prior to that introduction and never again would the game be updated on my computer, even if it weren't finished.

That would be what I would do too.

• Upvote 5

You may not agree with every suggestion that someone makes. We will not implement every suggestion made.

However please ensure that your responses to Wish List items falls within the category of polite disagreement and debate. So far everything has been okay, just want to make sure we're aware of the line.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Damn, peoples are sensitives! I think FrozenCorpse was clear enough that he just wanted to talk about the idea and he clearly know that such thing would never occur, nor he is asking for it. Just want to talk about the idea.

Personally, while I don't want this in the current game (and we all know that it won't happen, I think this question is settled now), I would really, really like Hinterland to make a spin off of The Long Dark but set in a zombie apocalypse. The harsh, uncompromising survival system of TLD, coupled with the terror of a well mastered zombie vibe and the skills of Hinterland Studio would be awesome.

Edited by Nogen
  • Like 1

No.

I already own enough "Zombie Apocalypse Survival" games that I tried, and have never played again, after only a few others. 

I really do not want to see this game become just another ones of those.

A new game, more along a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. apocalypse theme, but with zombies and/or "altered" humans, maybe. As long as I am not having to bullet-hell-shoot my way through hordes of 100+ of them, constantly. I like the isolation aspects of TLD. I would enjoy a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-ish game with more stealth,  survival aspects like TLD, and perhaps a variety of goals (quests) I need to accomplish, to learn new skills and abilities, with a randomly chosen end-game goal. Not sure I would enjoy it if it was never-ending survival only. TLD I enjoy for that, but I do get bored after a while, and need to make my own goals up, to keep going. I could see Hinterland making a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-TLD blend, and enjoying it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

They'd freeze solid anyway.  Just tell yourself all the frozen corpses are actually undead, but can't do anything on account of being frozen.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Zombies... ehh, no thank you.  I was quick to jump on board this game in large part that this was not another zombie apocalypse game. :) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

They'd freeze solid anyway.  Just tell yourself all the frozen corpses are actually undead, but can't do anything on account of being frozen.

Exactly what I thought, good thing I read all other posts before writing the same.

I pictured it a bit more funny, they reanimate while they're still a bit warm so they have the time to freeze solid on their feet.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I pictured it a bit more funny, they reanimate while they're still a bit warm so they have the time to freeze solid on their feet.

I would totally exploit that to get Mr. Fridge closer to the camp office so he can store my food more conveniently.  And maybe convince Mr. Cabinet to leave the 2nd floor of the camp office, because having a dead guy 20 feet from your bed is just weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prepared-Rosehips said:

Everyone disliked that

Oh I dunno, I don't hate it. Like I said, could be a good game... just not this game.

• Upvote 1

-Walks into medical tent-  soldier: Sir, you need special clearance. You: Sir, I am a qualified "scientist doctor person." Soldier: Oh, sorry right this way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I would totally exploit that to get Mr. Fridge closer to the camp office so he can store my food more conveniently.  And maybe convince Mr. Cabinet to leave the 2nd floor of the camp office, because having a dead guy 20 feet from your bed is just weird.

And that is why I keep my revolver under my pillow...🤣

• Upvote 1

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my wishlist post.  I can understand how some might be inclined to think this was a troll considering the communities' (+ game devs?) long-standing opposition to zombies.  Hardcore fans of the game are so adamantly opposed to anything stereotypically zombified - be it human or wildlife - that I've witnessed the term utilized in derogatory fashion in attempts to compel game devs to tweak the wolf AI.   As I am well-aware of the unpopularity of the suggestion, I have to admit that my wording of this posts' title could have been somewhat less "trollesque".   While the choice was intentionally confrontational, it was not meant as a simple troll.  It's meant to draw attention to the ill-founded bias against depictions of reanimated life-forms based solely on their inaccurate portrayals in contemporary gaming and media.

I am an escapist gamer who thrives on adventure and excitement along with a healthy dose of challenge mixed in to my gaming.  The more a game pulls me in to its' world and makes me believe in it, the happier I am.  I find games whose developers demonstrate a commitment to maintaining fidelity with the real world far more enjoyable than those that constantly have me grumbling, "That's not the way it works IRL.".  I'm also a big fan of RPG elements and I insist on immersion being a high priority.  I have an inner "Steadfast Ranger".  I want to stretch his legs in an epic tale of survival in the wilds of the Northern wilderness .. I want him to make it through this dystopian nightmare alive and against the odds.    Those odds aren't merely basis for a PvE walking simulator / survival game scenario, because something else is going on here:  Something big.  This unknown scientific / medical crisis underlying the story-line and placing our protagonists in this predicament in the first place is coupled with perhaps the most statistically probable doomsday scenario where massive coronal activity results in global GME's which destroy the electrical grids of developed countries and incapacitate the global electronic infrastructure.   The plausibility that the dead could actually be re-animated under just these conditions and the likelihood that just such a scenario might well be the extinction-level event with the greatest potential to wipe mankind off the face of the Earth was too much for me to ignore.

Even though it sounds like I'm wishing there was zombies in the game, I'm not:  Not really.  What I'm calling zombies is really something different.. something... plausible.  Flesh, - organic tissues.. transformed by some mutated virus or bacteriological toxin - becomes reanimated by a re-energized nervous systems as the result of geomagnetic activity of unprecedented magnitude.  They don't necessarily roam the wilds compelled to satisfy some ravenous hunger or unquenchable thirst.  They don't necessarily have to be formidable adversaries or even aggressive.. Maybe they just mull about until the force producing reanimation is removed and they, once again, drop to the ground (Yes.Would be boring and, seriously, why bother?).  Maybe they are attracted to movement and get in the way when players are trying to navigate difficult terrain.. Maybe they are attracted to fire and interfere with cooking or cause players to inadvertently burn themselves.. Maybe they approach players while they're trying to be stealthy and draw attention to their presence.. Maybe they get stuck in waterfalls or out on weak ice trying to drink and players risk getting wet or falling in while trying to loot their bodies.  Perhaps they might even have a beneficial usefulness!

Let's say they're simply attracted to movement.  A player could load up a "reanimated corpse" with a bunch of gear and get them to follow them back to a base, or move from one base to another.   Perhaps frozen corpses could be artificially reanimated by wrapping the corpse in wire and simulating the effects of the GME using a car batteriy in a backpack... a battery-powered follower...).  Maybe one of these Borcs (battery-operated reanimated corpses) would spaz out or burst into flames if a GME were to occur while they're under "battery-assisted locomotion".  It doesn't HAVE to be some stereotypical Night of the Living Dead zombie trope.   Hinterland could re-imagine the zombie phenomenon in a way that no one else can ..because they have the necessary precursors in place already.

I think it's safe to say this dead horse is sufficiently beaten ..and the reanimated one too.  :)

Thanks for your time if you made it through my tldr.

• Like 1

Hey but I never knew astrid was a scientist doctor person... But I guess you learn something new everyday..🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

Hey but I never knew astrid was a scientist doctor person... But I guess you learn something new everyday..🤣

lol.. I don't remember if they ever say exactly what her profession is.. I watched my son play through Ep 1 of the story mode redux recently and I still can't remember...

Edited by FrozenCorpse

Well Will asks "So are you still a doctor?" with Astrid responding with "Yes-yes im still a doctor" seems like a scientist doctor person to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

Well Will asks "So are you still a doctor?" with Astrid responding with "Yes-yes im still a doctor" seems like a scientist doctor person to me.

:D

I have nothing against zombies, and I think that absolute majority of people here don't either, including the devs, I think. Its just not the kind of game for it, it never was and they would seriously not fit in, if the whole idea of the game is to stay warm enough not to freeze to death, a mindless undead would never survive within this game for long enough to matter, as they would freeze solid eventually because they have no internal temperature regulation compared to the living (that is why the corpses indoors are frozen, too, after they passed).

I am going to tread on very thin ice right here because I believe it is important to say it. And, for the sake of being proper, I am going to state that these are all just my personal opinions, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, and that I am not a Staff member, just an old member of the forums.

What saddens me is that I can tell from your first post in 10 sentences that you knew all the reasons why making this topic would be mostly fruitless and risky, yet you made it anyway, as can be seen here:

18 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

I KNOW Hinterland has made it amply clear, "No Way, No How, Not Ever.. Absolutely, positively NO ZOMBIES in any way, shape or form EVERRR!!!

Fine.  I'm good with it.  See?  No problems.  No reason to flame me or berate me or insist that what I'm suggesting is a horrible idea (because I know that it's not).

The FACT of the matter is, this game is SCREAMING for zombies!  I don't think you realize how perfectly zombies fit into the story-line of this game; only PERFECTLY is all.

18 hours ago, FrozenCorpse said:

Okay, haters... have at it.

I read it all carefuly (I always do), and thought of your motivation to post the thread in Wishlist, OP. I made my name around the forums for looking at things differently, and then try to explain how I saw it so others can see it as well - this is how I see it. From the start of your first post and from the very last sentence in it, you expected confrontation. Sorry to say, but it is hard to not consider you a troll, OP because you worded it so unfortunately that it looks like you are just looking to pick a fight with someone. Its also entirely possible you just did not consider that posting this in a discussion section of the forums would be a better idea, it may have been a tiny, honest mistake like that.

Luckily, everyone remained respectful, but in a way, this worked as a distraction, because compared to other topics on the Wishlist, this has had 3 to 4 times the amount of traction than the other topics, yet we are where we started, nothing particularly useful was said, was it? I wish others would consider the motivation first too instead of replying with their disagreements - since we all know this topic is not going to bring anything new for the Wishlist section, where serious ideas for the game of The Long Dark are posted. I think it would be an interesting discussion on the topic of possibilities of zombies within the game, but in that case, it is in the entirely wrong section of the forums. In the past, I would have posted a comment suggesting to have this in Discussions instead, but seeing where these forums are going, doing so I would have been accused of backseat moderating and banned for it. These are sad times for forums. I suppose that is why noone else suggested this as well.

14 hours ago, Nogen said:

Damn, peoples are sensitives! I think FrozenCorpse was clear enough that he just wanted to talk about the idea and he clearly know that such thing would never occur, nor he is asking for it. Just want to talk about the idea.

I considered this as well, and it would be a good argument. But, if that was the purpose, it was never supposed to be posted in Wishlist. Wishlist holds a preemptive condition that says "I want this in the game" - which is obvious, right? If the purpose was discussion instead, then this should have been in general discussion, or off-topic discussion instead. I believe selecting the proper forum board is very important, because by putting it into a wishlist, people who come and react to it come by with an assumption this is what OP wants within the game, but if it were posted in the discussion board instead, people who respond would instantly know that it was there just to discuss the possibility.

Hence the reaction of Hawk, stratvox, peteloud... they all make sense from the point of view of someone who expects this is a serious suggestion for a new game mechanic, and not a discussion of the possibility.

I don't want to point fingers to anyone or even turn this into an argument, but I seriously see nothing beneficial about this thread being in Wishlist section, since everyone knows (including OP) that Hinterland stated zombies will never be a part of The Long Dark.

I would be happy to see this as a discussion in a different subforum.

Those are just my two cents on this whole topic.

• Like 3