Posted (edited)

Currently juggling 3 books at the moment:

Fall, by Neal Stephenson
Empire of Grass, by Tad Williams
1637: The Polish Maelstrom, by Eric Flint

Edited by DarkTreader
Misclick, missed my third book!

Just in time for Four Days of Night... I've finished reading all of works of H.P. Lovecraft (in the order they were written in) - including several of his collaborations.  ...his social commentaries notwithstanding... ¬¬  The horror is so palpable and genuine, it really is more than deserving of it's reputation.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who's familiar with the mythos but never taken the time to really read it.  It's well worth it. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I can't help but associate various locations on Great Bear with some of those stories now. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

A couple of days ago I also stated:

Friday by Robert Heinlein

You know after previously reading Stranger in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers... I've finally come to realize that Mr. Heinlein was really into polyamory. :D  That theme really comes to the foreground in Friday.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Just finishing up The Dark Half by Stephen King.

The movie was "meh", but I have always enjoyed the book near Halloween.

And with the crows in this game often reminding me of the sparrows in the book... yeah.

"The Sparrows Are Flying Again..."

Not a literary masterpiece (writing is a bit clumsy in some places), but the mood and theme feel right for this time of year, always.

Molly in Episode 3 reminds me a bit of George Stark/Thad Beaumont, for some reason.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
typo corrections, what else?
  • Like 1

Great books & ideas in this thread. 

I'm working my way through S T Joshi's massive biography of Lovecraft - it's an absolutely obsessive work. Fascinating. 

Also The Drowned World by J G Ballard - a climate change apocalypse novel from the early 1960s, way ahead of its time. 

Looking forward to The Well-Tempered City by Jonathan Rose, it's apparently a really interesting set of ideas about urban design. 

Will keep checking in here, interested to follow up some of the recommendations. Thanks!

1 hour ago, C J Halbard said:

Also The Drowned World by J G Ballard - a climate change apocalypse novel from the early 1960s, way ahead of its time. 

Never read this one, and I am looking for something new to dig into. 
Thanks for this one, it seems like a book I may enjoy, after looking into it a bit on the Internet. 👍

22 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Never read this one, and I am looking for something new to dig into. 
Thanks for this one, it seems like a book I may enjoy, after looking into it a bit on the Internet. 👍

Cool, interested to hear how you find it! 🙂

I picked up Animal Farm recently, by George Orwell.

I have few other books in my backlog, such as My Lobotomy by Howard Dully and Cape Light by Joel Meyerowitz

Recently finished the End of the World Running Club by Adrian Walker. A nice post-apocalyptic novel. Now reading Treatise on Elegant Living by Honoré de Balzac.  Short, but a good one.

I wanted something a little spooky for Halloween season, so I picked up The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher. Very good, just the right amount of spooky for me. The author is local to my neck of the woods so her descriptions of the setting feel eerily familiar. If you, too, live in central North Carolina and want to feel creeped out about pine forests, give this book a try!