I'm reading a book called Angelology, by Danielle Trussoni, which is especially interesting to me because not only did she come from my same hometown, we graduated from the same high school.  And I'm picking up on tons of hometown references buried in the story. Like every third page it's "Aaaahhhh I see what you did there...."

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, for the third time.  Picking up little details I missed in the last 2 readings.  Death as the narrator still fascinates me. A rather somber and grim tale, in many ways, with brief, shining moments of happiness and accomplishment, as Liesel manages to find and steal another book, and begins to write her own. 

Someday I will watch the film as well, but I am waiting until I feel I am ready to see the changes made to the story, and small details, that seems to happen in most movies created from book adaptations. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I just got done with "Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean M. Auel, and I am currently in the middle of "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton.  :) 

• Upvote 1

I am half way done with reading -Far North-Will Hobbs- Its a good read but, a float plane crashing in the northern Canadian wilderness and its a fight for survival in the middle of winter... Ring any bells?

• Upvote 1

This and that, most of it fluff.  I've got "To Clear Away The Shadows" by David Drake lined up on the phone today

Just went on a shopping "spree" at Half-Priced Books the other day, and lucked out with some great finds. Reading one of them now:

Isaac Asimov - The Robots Of Dawn.

Read the first 2 books in the series years ago, but never got around to the third one (this one). Enjoying it so far, though I feel like I should go back and read the first two books over again. And I will. After I find the fourth book, and read it as well.

• Like 1

Area 51 by Bob Mayer (originally published as Robert Doherty), because after like 15 years he finally started writing books in that series again, and I figured I should go ahead and just re-read the series before jumping back in at book 10.

And Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrier. Also a re-read. I'm reading it because I'm writing a Halo action fan fiction, and want to get myself into a proper headspace, and Fire Warrior has some of the best and most well-written combat and action sequences I've ever come across.

Moving on to 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz.

Because, every now and then, I have to have some completely self-indulgent horror fiction. 

At 3 am, while sitting awake in our house, made of primarily concrete and cement, while my family sleeps, not hearing the strange sounds the house makes when you are the only one awake to hear the house speaking. The old wooden farmhouse spoke to me at night as well. A constant, almost incessant muttering and grumbling, like an old man, who has misplaced his favorite pipe. A tad annoying at times, but familiar. This house... it speaks more abruptly, and in a distinctly more "threatening" manner. Like a rogue cop with a gun in their hand, telling you to back up, or else...

And then my dog licks my foot and makes me jump 3 feet straight up, in the air.

All good.  This is why I read this stuff, lol.

• Like 1

Still working through a pile of non-fiction books I picked up last year, I am currently reading Killers of the Flower Moon:  The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.

Currently reading Prelude To Foundation ~Isaac Asimov

Seeing the author's suggested reading order of his books, in the Authors Note at the beginning of the book- made me realize I have a few more to hunt down.

• Like 1

Now I'm reading Myth-Interpretations, which is a posthumously released compilation of assorted unreleased (and unfinished) works by Robert Asprin.  I knew him primarily from his lighthearted cartoonish comedy/fantasy Myth series (Myth-ing Persons, Another Fine Myth, Something Myth-Inc, etc.) and have been effectively blown away by how diverse this guy was from these short stories from other literary universes.  When he gets serious, he gets SERIOUS, and some of his stuff is really quite profound.  I'm a little disappointed that until now I just thought of him as a cartoonist, minus the illustrations.  This is like finding out Walt Disney directed The Terminator or something.

• Like 1

Over the last weeks:

Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake  trilogy
Walker/Shipman - The Wisdom of Bones
Tess Sharpe - River of Violence
Larry Brown - Dirty Work
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
Hans Fallada - Wolf unter Wölfen

• Like 1

Still on my Asimov kick.

Just found another book that I did not own yet, and started reading it this afternoon.

The Robots of Dawn
~Isaac Asimov~

Old-school. Hardback copy, with a slightly worn paper jacket. :)

• Like 1

I have read the entire Foundation series, many times over. I never did read the Robot series, only The Complete Robot, and bits of The Caves of Steel. But only bits, here and there. 

Baley has just arrived on Aurora. 

And I need to get my hand on the complete set, and read them in the proper order. I know/feel this already. 
Already, i don't think I can ever enjoy the movie again, lol. (I, Robot)

• Like 1

When I find time between reading documentation (work hazard) and history books (marriage hazard) I read almost exclusively whatever I can find from the rather elusive genre of HardSciFi. The last one I read was my third go at Peter Watt's critically underrated Blindsight after it took me almost half a year to fight through Neal Stephenson's Seven Eves' dreadfully boring third act (but the first two are actually brilliant!). While Blingsight has a strong inclination to remain my favorite one, I guess the "objectively best" one I've read in the last few years was The Three Body Problem.

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:24 AM, stratvox said:

If you haven't read it before, you're in for a treat.

Finished it last night. And... Jehoshaphat! It was good. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Finished it last night. And... Jehoshaphat! It was good.

Your enthusiasm is always a delight.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Myself, I've recently started on the task of reading all the works of Lovecraft in the order they were written. 

Edited by ManicManiac

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Your enthusiasm is always a delight.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Myself, I've recently started on the task of reading all the works of Lovecraft in the order they were written. 

Dear lawdie. Over 100 stories, if I remember correctly? A lofty, but worthy, goal. 😎

• Like 1

I started reading the next book in my non-fiction backlog, SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard. I haven't gotten too far, but I've already learned that Cicero was a slumlord.

• Upvote 1

re-reading John Milton's paradise lost and where have all the flowers gone in preparation for episode three.