Realistic Maps

lyttol

The player position on the maps breaks any sense of immersive orienteering in story mode. Can you please make this optional. 

I also don't understand why my character magically has a map of the area they are in, for me it would make more sense if these were found in the environment.

This is such a great game otherwise, it would make all the difference to my experience...

1 hour ago, lyttol said:

I also don't understand why my character magically has a map of the area they are in, for me it would make more sense if these were found in the environment.

Mackenzie holds a map of Great Bear Island while he is in the hangar, it could explain this... besides I think that having the environment already discovered helps new players in the Story Mode.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LilWolf said:

Mackenzie holds a map of Great Bear Island while he is in the hangar, it could explain this... besides I think that having the environment already discovered helps new players in the Story Mode.

In both Episodes, Mackenzie finds the maps or is given them by an NPC (you don't have it at the start, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I would prefer the map not to have sat-nav capabilities in the harder difficulty mode, though. And I'd prefer the objectives not to magically appear on the map, as well. It makes some of the missions, especially finding caches, pretty trivial. You don't even need to look for the things in the 'real' world, because you can just move your character until the map auto-location icon is over the thing you're after.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pillock said:

In both Episodes, Mackenzie finds the maps or is given them by an NPC (you don't have it at the start, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I would prefer the map not to have sat-nav capabilities in the harder difficulty mode, though. And I'd prefer the objectives not to magically appear on the map, as well. It makes some of the missions, especially finding caches, pretty trivial. You don't even need to look for the things in the 'real' world, because you can just move your character until the map auto-location icon is over the thing you're after.

I was just highlighting that the narrative could explain why the map... anyway WINTERMUTE acts like a tutorial for beginners players, moving around the regions without any previous knowledge would be really heard (I can't imagine how they'll find the Spear crossing two regions). But I agree map shouldn't be discovered in "hard" difficulty, for veteran players with experience in the game that wants to play WINTERMUTE as well it's too easy and doesn't offer an additional challenge.

I like the idea of removing the player position from Hardened mode.  But for Green and Capable survivor...leave it be.

Edit: Actually come to think of it, I think most people playing Hardened Survivor already know the maps like the back of their hand, so that kind of renders the whole point moot...  Meh.

Edited by ajb1978

• 1 month later...

If story-mode is just a tutorial for new players, hinterland is seriously misdirecting their resources at the moment. And I disagree wtih ajb1978, (politely!), I went straight into hardened survivor mode without knowing the maps, I "feel" (gotta love the science behind that right) that a fair portion of players want a story-mode that can be as challenging as interloper or deadman. And even knowing the maps (as I do now), I still occassionally get turned around in a blizzard or fog, which is EXCITING. I don't want a little flashing position marker on my map.

AND, what Pillock said. "Personally, I would prefer the map not to have sat-nav capabilities in the harder difficulty mode, though. And I'd prefer the objectives not to magically appear on the map, as well. It makes some of the missions, especially finding caches, pretty trivial. You don't even need to look for the things in the 'real' world, because you can just move your character until the map auto-location icon is over the thing you're after."

I'm fine if there is not "you are here" icon and the "objective is there" icons on the map.  I would, however, like to see the maps be topographic and/or show more of the routes and landmarks that are present in the regions so that people unfamiliar with the game could more easily orient themselves to where they are.  Even though we have no compass, there should be a compass rose on the map (since any map drawn before the apocalypse would have had one.  IMO, this is not an unrealistic expectation... A VFR pilot should be carrying detailed topographic maps of any of the areas he is flying over... something more like Whiteberry's maps than the charcoal ones we see in game.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest jeffpeng
On 5/20/2019 at 9:48 PM, Grignard_TN said:

Survival mode doesn't have any sort of automap. I prefer it for story mode personally as I'd rather focus on the story and save the mapping for survival.

This.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, ajb1978 said:

Actually come to think of it, I think most people playing Hardened Survivor already know the maps like the back of their hand, so that kind of renders the whole point moot...  Meh.

Damn, you found me out.

Personally I'm fine with the sat-nav. Story mode really doesn't have much to do with survival anyways, in my opinion. Even the hardened survivor offers you too much resources to run out of them, plus the objective is not survival - it's the objectives you have. All in all that's part of the very irony I find myself pointing to every once in while: sandbox was thought of as a test bed for story mode, but it actually is the better survival game. Story mode really is more of an adventure game with survival elements than anything else.

The other point why sat-nav is actually important to have: in survival mode a new player can locate theirself by mapping. It's a time consuming process, but that's okay. In story mode there is no such mechanic, so even with a map a new player would get lost inevitably. And wanting to follow a narrative instead of trying to find your way home getting lost would probably cause a lot of frustration for many players.