is this a bug or a feature? fell in water no warning

Was heading toward the forge in FM when I went on my usual path and proceeded to fall into the water. (How many times I fell into the water is irrelevant... cough...) Anyway, as you can see, there's a bright blue patch here where I'm guessing there should be ice? I received no warning (the new red ! which I do receive other times). 

Is it possible this is a place I fell into the ice previously? this is an old save (500+ days). This is the path I always take to the forge and I don't remember it being an issue.

1501868458_Screenshotfrom2019-05-1915-58-17.thumb.png.5af34021595eb5f47835dc5b93636ded.png

It certainly seems likely that it is a place you fell in before.  I no longer have my 500-day save, but I do recall seeing an open hole where he fell in still there a day or so later.  I think it is a bug in that water bottles don't freeze even when left out in the cold, so I think the same applies to lake water.   When you think about it, the ice itself isn't responsive to termperature changes since weak ice will always be weak even after the termperature drops for an extended period of time. To the game, water is probably just water, ice is ice, and weak ice is weak ice, with no coding that transitions one to the other.

• Upvote 1

I think it's a bug.  I know for a fact I have seen the hole in the ice where I've fallen through, but I don't recall seeing it there later.  Maybe because I never went that way again, maybe because it freezes over.  If you walk directly into exposed water, you instantly fall in. There are a couple spots on the Coastal Highway where the ice is solid right up to the water's edge, and you can go for a swim with no warning if you run right in.  (Presumably...never actually done that, because why would I?)

The water bottle thing, that's not a bug, that's Raph not seeing a reason to implement frozen water bottles without finding a way to make frozen water management rewarding to the player.  Same with leaving food outside.  Imagine trying to gnaw on a frozen steak fresh from your freezer lol.

I mean ice fishing holes re-freeze if left unattended, and wet clothes will freeze, so the overall topic is certainly not an oversight.

• Upvote 2