Muliple questions...

oregonoutback

Howdy all,

I tried searching for my answers, but since all I get are keyword search results... My results were nil. 

My questions are:

1) Do birch saplings respawn (or regrow) over time, and if so, does anyone know about how many in game days that takes? I'm stocked on arrows for now, but trying to plan for the future, but also not trying to run a fool's errand going to saplings I've already harvested. 

2) In what locations have people been finding the revolver? I've scoured every structure in CH to no avail. I'm not leaving here until my supplies run out as I'm on a 500 day journey and I'm only at 194 days, so leaving the safety of my well stocked garage to find a gun I don't need ATM would be silly, but I suspect it'll be handy for when I move on to PV.

3) As I previously mentioned, I'm hanging out in CH at the garage. I have hundreds of pounds of meat, level 5 cooking, tons of canned and preserved foods (I'm on Voyager) so I'm pretty well set as far as surviving. The real challenge has been keeping myself busy. I've mapped out the entire region, brought my cooking, firestarting, and harvesting all up to level 5, archery is nearly 5, ice fishing on the verge of 4, rifle and mending halfway to 5... I've completed stone age sniper, kept a fire burning 72 hours... What I'm asking is what else does everyone do to keep themselves occupied? I'm not looking to rush through the game, but to pass time in game I'll make sure my character is fully fed and hydrated, plus has plenty of stamina, then I'll park them in the garage and walk away from the game for 20 minutes or so to do other things. I don't like doing that, but it seems the least risky and least boring thing to do to pass time... Please help me with this! 

Thanks all

- O.o

• Upvote 1

Saplings don't respawn. But there are tons of them. You need to explore everything to find them. Many are in somewhat out of the way locations

Being bored at 200 days is normal. There is no end game content. I usually get bored somewhere between day 100-150. And that's with being more on the move and going to every region

• Like 1

Y'know it's kind of meta... Survivor mode is a dark mirror image of real life.  You live until something kills you, or until you can't take it anymore and end your own existence. (Either via literal in-game suicide, or just deleting the save.)  You've got to make your own goals, to stay motivated.  Personally, I break it into phases.  1: loot the world, 2: map the world, 3: try and find all of those notes/buffers/cairns.  Haven't yet completed #3...so I don't know what #4 would be.  Maybe hit the 10-year survival mark.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest kristaok

1. Nope

3. I think you are collecting way too much Meat :P, it's best to only Hunt what you need to curb boredom.

1) As others have responded already, saplings don't respawn.

2) I found a revolver in Coastal Highway on the bottom shelf behind the cash register in the garage.  I have also found it 3 times under Gray Mother's bed in Milton (Mountain Town Region).  I've found one in the (correction) back seat of the car in front of the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad (but it's not there in my current start).  I found another in the Tools Prepper Cache in Mystery Lake.

3) I did my Faithful Cartographer Achievement during my 500-day run.  Traveling to every region and mapping kept me busy.  You will find that going from Level 4 to Level 5 fishing will take a bit of time as well, although CH is a good region for that since the fish generally weigh more and the skill is based on the weight of all the fish you catch.

Edited by UpUpAway95

11 hours ago, oregonoutback said:

I'll make sure my character is fully fed and hydrated, plus has plenty of stamina, then I'll park them in the garage and walk away from the game for 20 minutes or so to do other things. I don't like doing that, but it seems the least risky and least boring thing to do to pass time... Please help me with this! 

You realize that you can warp time by using the card game icon (spend time). You don't have to walk away.

As other have said the game becomes somewhat stagnant around 50-70 days. You can up the difficulty setting (which I recommend). Or you can give yourself a mission. Go to Broken Railroad hunting lodge and back to CH can be a ... challenge. 😁

• Like 1

I basically have planned my stay in each area to maximize time spent.  Hit the high man-made items areas first (CH, MT and ML) then off to the other areas.  I don't rush the exploraton of each place.  No particular reason to not spend a day or two fishing, or stalking a bear, looking for bullwinkle, or just camped out in a cave with a good view.  Set up a good camp in each region. When I get really bored I put my long haul game aside and go and get slaughtered repeatedly in Interloper.  Then back to the peace of the long haul.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I'm on day 460ish in my longest Pilgrim run, and hoo boy does it get boring sometimes! I agree with what others have said about giving yourself "missions".

I decided way back when I started this specific game that I wanted to really explore all the various regions. Climbing to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain to get special loot was surprisingly fun and exciting. The scenery, weather, and available shelters/resources make for a very different experience than parking yourself in the CH garage all day.

Also, I disagree with what others have said about the birch saplings. I don't believe they *technically* respawn, but I've seen them respawn (sometimes in much higher quantities) after a major update. This is more like a refresh rather than a respawn, but it's very helpful for longer games. I doubt birch saplings would be growing all that quickly in subzero temperatures in real life. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, devamadhu said:

I don't believe they *technically* respawn, but I've seen them respawn 

I "think" you may be right.  On my longest run (currently at 1200+ days), I have found birch saplings in a re-visited area I could have swore I looted fully.  I just tacked it up to carelessness on my part though.

They should grow (back) though...perhaps on a slower scale than other "gatherables"

Edited by hozz1235

3 hours ago, devamadhu said:

I'm on day 460ish in my longest Pilgrim run, and hoo boy does it get boring sometimes! I agree with what others have said about giving yourself "missions".

I decided way back when I started this specific game that I wanted to really explore all the various regions. Climbing to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain to get special loot was surprisingly fun and exciting. The scenery, weather, and available shelters/resources make for a very different experience than parking yourself in the CH garage all day.

Also, I disagree with what others have said about the birch saplings. I don't believe they *technically* respawn, but I've seen them respawn (sometimes in much higher quantities) after a major update. This is more like a refresh rather than a respawn, but it's very helpful for longer games. I doubt birch saplings would be growing all that quickly in subzero temperatures in real life. 

If something in an update causing an area to reset and saplings to appear, I still certainly wouldn't count on it the same way I count on sticks and branches respawning.  There were no updates between the start and finish of my 500-day run and I never noticed any saplings respawning in that length of time.  For example, the saplings I had chopped down near the Trapper's cabin at the start of my run were still chopped (stumps were still there) when I returned to Mystery Lake to hunt up additional clothes to get my mending skill up to Level 5 late in the game.  There were some additional cat tails that I collected.  I might have missed them, but I reasoned instead that they might have spawned on the various different plants that did not have cat tails on them early in the game (since not every cat tail plant is has heads when you first go through an area.  Whether this would technically be a "respawn," I'll let you decide.