Backpack/ Storage overhaul

AlmexN

Obligatory first post, long time forum lurker, hundred of hours played etc.

I feel like the current backpack and item system could be vastly improved with some modifications. The new backpack model, as others have said, has made me wish for various backpack models to equip. Similar to other clothing slots, you could find better backpacks and make your own out of hide. The items would have durability and could be damaged by blizzards, struggles and time. Imagine the desperate scramble, after a bear mauls you and rips your backpack open, spilling your items on the floor. You have seconds to choose which items to grab and take whilst running away from the bear.

Obviously, this would make carrying all of your items in your backpack more risky. This could be offset by pockets on clothes, giving the jackets and pants various carry volumes and allowing you to keep some items close to you. For example, you are tired and need to climb that last rope, you drop your backpack, going up the rope with only your clothes, matches and bandage in your pocket and a revolver on a holster.

This could also be relevant to draw time on weapons. You cant quickly whip out your revolver or flare to deal with a wolf if it's in your backpack. Its a safer bet to carry your rifle in bear territory than have it holstered on your back in case you need it in an instant, etc.

To deal with locational storage, it may make sense to give items volume as well as weight. Lets face it, your rifle doesn't actually go in your backpack and you don't really want to walk around with 10 cans of peaches in your backpack. Unfortunately adding volume in addition to weight would require every item to be rebalanced and would be a huge test load for hinterland. (A good example of this system in action is NeoScavenger or even the Resident Evil series).

I feel that splitting up your item storage would allow for greater roleplay and more considered choices before heading out into the world, keep what is key close to your body. The downside would be item/inventory management would not be as streamlined and simple, however in real life you keep your phone in your pocket rather then in a backpack so it should feel intuitive.

I feel I saw a similar topic to this months ago but let me know how you feel!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Moll said:

And if you wont find any backpack you are scewed.

You could always start off with a different size pack dependent on starting clothing. Also all those backpacks in the world could be picked up and equipped. :)

I'm used to the current system, and if it never changes I would be perfectly OK with that.  That said, I personally appreciate an inventory system that factors in both an item's weight and its physical bulk.  I mean come on, how the crap do you shove five bedrolls in a glove box?  Maybe if you stomp with both feet you might be able to cram one in.  But five?  Negative, Ghost Rider.

Neverwinter Nights had a pretty good inventory management system, where every item had weight, but it also consumed a certain number of tiles in your inventory grid.  So an object could be lightweight but bulky (like a bedroll), or small and dense (like a box full of ammo).  Something like a piece of armor would occupy a 2x3 block of tiles, while something like arrows might consume two tiles.  That also allowed containers to only store certain types of items, like if a container had one row of six tiles, you could store a bunch of ammo in there, but never fit a piece of armor, no matter how light it was.

But yeah at this point, my perception is that the inventory system is ingrained pretty deeply with the core mechanics, so changing it at this point would be too much work.  And I mean it would just generate hate mail.  You saw how people reacted when the sprain system was changed.  And I still remember how people reacted when the new cooking system came out, when the new clothing system was introduced.  Could inventory be done better?  Yeah.  But my two cents worth: Leave it alone, it's fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I mean come on, how the crap do you shove five bedrolls in a glove box?  Maybe if you stomp with both feet you might be able to cram one in.  But five?  Negative, Ghost Rider.

LOL!! Yes that and the water bottles. But I don't think they can really change it- the last time it got an overhaul was when the console modes came out and they got a lot of flack for it.

What I would like to see is a way to drop your entire backpack and be able to access it like any other container.  I'm a bit tired of getting sprain risk while cooking fish.  No one would keep that pack on.

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Neverwinter Nights had a pretty good inventory management system, where every item had weight, but it also consumed a certain number of tiles in your inventory grid.  So an object could be lightweight but bulky (like a bedroll), or small and dense (like a box full of ammo).  Something like a piece of armor would occupy a 2x3 block of tiles, while something like arrows might consume two tiles.  That also allowed containers to only store certain types of items, like if a container had one row of six tiles, you could store a bunch of ammo in there, but never fit a piece of armor, no matter how light it was.

I remember that system :) neo scavenger has a similar system, nothing bigger than 2x2 tiles can fit in most pockets, a bow was too long to be stuffed in a rucksack but was able to be slung across the back. It was possible to fill up your inventory with light things and be fine or have a half full inventory and be completely over eencumbered as volume and weight were separate stats.

That would be my ideal system but yeah, it totally would require way too much work to implement, let alone balance. 

I would love a separate backpack though, with different sizes and could be taken off. A small backpack with less weight limit would affect your sprint capability less than a giant hiking bag.

Most players seem to come around to changes (once properly balanced). The most vocal and angriest will always be more visible over everyone that is fine with the changes.

Some very good points being made here. 

Maybe if either adding the backpack, or changing the inventory system is too much work, I think it would add a nice dynamic if the clothing you wear affected your carrying capacity. It makes sense that you could carry some more items while wearing cargo pants vs jeans. Or when you find a jacket with pockets rather than just a sports vest etc. 

And I don't necessarily mean increasing your carrying capacity to more than what it is now. Maybe when you only have jeans and a T-shirt, your capacity is reduced by 5kg. I think this would be more simple to implement, but would make a nice change, giving you something else to consider when choosing what clothing to wear. Do you go for the warmth of the bearskin, or the extra pockets of my parka.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lonelyloper said:

Maybe when you only have jeans and a T-shirt, your capacity is reduced by 5kg. I think this would be more simple to implement, but would make a nice change, giving you something else to consider when choosing what clothing to wear. Do you go for the warmth of the bearskin, or the extra pockets of my parka.  

Something like that would give certain clothing options more tactical value.  In my play style I end up putting together 3 sets of gear that I swap between depending on what I'm doing.  Hunter gear, prioritizing warmth and wetness.  Exploratory gear, prioritizing defense and warmth.  Household gear, bare minimum to keep me above freezing indoors.  If things like cargo pants and especially that military coat with all its pockets, had an effect on carrying capacity, I would definitely put together a 4th set of gear for gathering supplies.  I already have hunter gear...guess this would be gatherer gear.

• Upvote 2