Water Purification Tablets

Ice Hole

The Water Purification Tablets for myself are rarely used.  A WPT requires non-potable water.  The water needs to melt over a fire.  I find it easier to just find a couple of sticks to increase the duration of the fire that is melting the snow to then boil the water.

The usefulness of these tablets would increase if we could gather snow that could melt (only interior locations) over eight hours.  Wake up and shake up the morning drink of water. 

The volume of snow needs to be greater than the water created.  Metal pails already exist in game and can be broken down.  A pail can create one litre.  Also the metal pot can be used and melts down to half litre.  The cans also used to create one quarter litre.

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Upvote 2

Most of interior place are at negative °C so having this mechanic will be limited unless physics doesn't apply or they rebalance the interiors all over again which likely never happen.

I'm not against your idea since it make better use of those tablets and cans even thou it make water cheaper, but to me they are just 2 Hours saved when traveling 

• Upvote 1

Already interiors that are below zero °C can have liquid water.  There is already water in the toilets that is not frozen and the Quonset hut has a basin that contains non-potable water.  

The issue with these tablets is that the need for making a fire to melt the snow.  These tablets have even less use to me since the cooking update.  Once that fire is lit and the character is ready to sleep, I always have water heating with just enough time on the fire.  Wake up to one litre water boiled.

The tablets I collect just sit on a shelf.  The weight of them at 62 grams each is not worth carrying around.

I have been researching alternative uses for these tablets.  Not finding anything other than making water.  The are mostly made up from chlorine.  Can this chlorine be used for anything else?

• Upvote 1

I imagine there is only ice on the surface so the character can easily remove it to get access to the precious H2O.

Personally the best alternative use in a survival situation (or in war) is to add Hydrochloric acid in a glass bottle and throw it hoping it brakes on landing to burn the respiratory system plus it stink

• Like 1

Eureka!

Want to clear a cave system of nasty critters lob a smoke bomb in their general direction.  Just like a bug bomb that place will be cleared out or anything left inside will be dead.

ingredients:

4 Birch Bark

cat tail 

8 Water Purification Tablets

sugary food (candy bar or boiled pop)

recycled can

• Like 1

I tend to use the water purification tablets when I want to have a quick stockpile of water, or in an emergency when I don't have much fire wood with me.  I also tend to use them fairly early in a run for both of those reasons.  They are useful for getting potable water a little faster (in terms of game time).

True, it's not difficult in the game to boil water... but I would say the advantage of the tables is time - both in prep and fire time.  You can either get the same amount of water in half the time... or double the amount of water in the same amount of time it would normally take you to prepare half as much.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1