The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.50 [48029]

Admin

2104753467_Hotfix1_50.thumb.png.f1986b246f37bf1f9a7b6318537b6458.png

CHANGELIST v1.50 [48029]

GENERAL FIXES

*[Tuning] Reduced Revolver Ammunition to 10 per box from 12. 
*[Tuning] Increased likelihood of Revolver spawns at the expense of fewer Rifle spawns.
*[Gameplay] Improved Rifle aiming system to address shortfall in raycast technique.
*[Gameplay] Fixed issue with Bow aiming where Arrow position was slightly offset, affecting accuracy.
*[Gameplay] Fixed missing transition to walk when the Player runs out of Stamina while running

### END OF RELEASE NOTES ###

• Upvote 5
  • Like 4

:D but 12 = 2 reloads.  Though honestly I do see why this scaled back a bit... I have found more than 100 rounds so far; which is a mountain of ammo all things considered. 

I can't wait to try this update out.  Thank you Hinterland, thank you for everything.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

:D but 12 = 2 reloads.  Though honestly I do see why this scaled back a bit... I have found more than 100 rounds so far; which is a mountain of ammo all things considered. 

I can't wait to try this update out.  Thank you Hinterland, thank you for everything.

I wish there would be a drawback to revolver use. Like, used in "hip" mode, it sprains your wrist. but if you aim, you can keep the revolver. This thing is powerful and has a lot of recoil.

12 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Would you agree to need them for making a campfire? 🤗

It would bother me quite a bit, 5 small stones would not build our campfire with cooking stones. I can't see lugging 20lb of rocks with me everywhere to be able to build a campfire in a hurry, and some areas we do not have interactive stones we can pick up and lug to the spot we want to build one at. Imagine trying to get a wolf to "Just hang on buddy, wait there while I go scrounge up a bunch of stones, so I can build a fire ring, so I can keep you from charging, and scare you away...". That honestly would make the game TOO realistic, and kill off a lot of the fun and spontaneity of it for me, and other people, I am sure. I can only imagine the angry complaint threads if they did this...

Meanwhile, I downloaded the hotfix, and Steam went offline for their weekly maintenance right after, lol. Headed back now that Steam is back online, because I know I can play without the Steam Client running, but I lose Steam Cloud saves and the Steam screenshots. And I like my screenshots, a lot. :)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Imagine trying to get a wolf to "Just hang on buddy, wait there while I go scrounge up a bunch of stones, so I can build a fire ring, so I can keep you from charging, and scare you away...". That honestly would make the game TOO realistic

I agree, it would be more realistic. I disagree it would be too realistic, since now the revolver is here to meet that exact purpose, right? Not even mentioning flares...

I kind of liked that the revolver was so rare.  It really makes finding one a special and satisfying moment.  I know that people are excited about it because we all want to rush out and try it, but I just hope it doesn't become too common.

I'm good with the rifle being a little more rare for much the same reason.  I love those moments when I know I'm not well equipped and I have to rely on my wits to survive until I fine more tools to aid my survival.

:) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BareSkin said:

I agree, it would be more realistic. I disagree it would be too realistic, since now the revolver is here to meet that exact purpose, right? Not even mentioning flares...

First you have to find flares or a revolver and shells. I can start a fire in Stalker and below from minute 1, since I have matches when I spawn in, as long as I can grab a few sticks right away. And sticks are everywhere. I don't like the idea, sorry. Too much "IRL realism" that would make the game a chore, rather than a fun experience for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

I wish there would be a drawback to revolver use. Like, used in "hip" mode, it sprains your wrist. but if you aim, you can keep the revolver. This thing is powerful and has a lot of recoil.

There is.  It's called "missing a lot" lol

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Too much "IRL realism" that would make the game a chore, rather than a fun experience for me.

Well I guess it all boils down to opinions in the end, being able to scare a wolf off instantaneously  with a magic-superpowered fire attempt is too few "IRL realism" to me. 1 match and (maybe) 1 stick is too cheap for such a mistake. I don't like it, sorry. Wasn't cautious enough, didn't stop to hear footsteps/howling? Pay at least with a flare / flare shell/ cartridge / arrow /bullet. Or with your life, since the game is about survival, after all.

In my runs it's more dangerous to forget coffee than running into a wolf pack, I don't think it's intended gameplay, and this is actually an unjustified chore to have to find coffee... I can die between the two ropes between Milton and Mystery Lake cause I'm too exhausted to get out of this trap (there's no bed, once exhausted there's nothing you can do), but if I get out of Orca full of raw meat, see 4 wolves barking and running on me, I keep my life as long as I have ignition and 1 fuel? Well, even for gameplay's sake, it seems a bit... unbalanced?

2 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

There is.  It's called "missing a lot" lol

Never used it, but it always scares the wolf if you merely point it to the animal direction right? That's a drawback only if you want to kill (I know you want 🤠!) , which is technically not its purpose since the rifle exists. Don't you think it's still a flat out 'gain' compared to previous build? I don't see any risk associated with using the gun, strangely enough. To be honest since it doesn't spawn on interloper I welcome the revolver as a very nice addition, it brings more variety to run up to stalker, and it's always a good thing. I still have the 'flat out gain' problem with birch tea, but that's another matter :D

15 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Well I guess it all boils down to opinions in the end, being able to scare a wolf off instantaneously  with a magic-superpowered fire attempt is too few "IRL realism" to me. 1 match and (maybe) 1 stick is too cheap for such a mistake. I don't like it, sorry. Wasn't cautious enough, didn't stop to hear footsteps/howling? Pay at least with a flare / flare shell/ cartridge / arrow /bullet. Or with your life, since the game is about survival, after all.

In my runs it's more dangerous to forget coffee than running into a wolf pack, I don't think it's intended gameplay, and this is actually an unjustified chore to have to find coffee... I can die between the two ropes between Milton and Mystery Lake cause I'm too exhausted to get out of this trap (there's no bed, once exhausted there's nothing you can do), but if I get out of Orca full of raw meat, see 4 wolves barking and running on me, I keep my life as long as I have ignition and 1 fuel? Well, even for gameplay's sake, it seems a bit... unbalanced?

Spawn in on Stalker, and have only matches to start a fire and scare a wolf off, and spawn in with wolves right around you. You spawn in outdoors. You have no house to loot to get flares, a revolver, shells, ect. You don't spawn in with flares, a rifle, a knife, a hatchet, a hammer, a revolver, a bow or arrows. You need to be able to evade the wolves that are out to rip your face off from minute 1, so you can live long enough to go find them. It isn't about forgetting to carry them. It is about being able to get somewhere to find them, first.

If you want more role-playing, you are free to gather stones in a blizzard, take the time to lay them out on the ground, and then build your fire. You HAVE that option. Your idea would force me to play your way, and I am not interested in doing that. I accept the un-realities in the game, because they make for more enjoyable, less stressful, less tedious gameplay for me, especially in Stalker, where I am not the hunter, I am the hunted, from the minutes I start the game on Day 1.  I like to do crazy, risky hand over had free solo rock climbing in my games. i think that is fun. Not everyone does. I would not insist on a major change to the game that forced everyone to climb  everything without any ropes. My role-playing is being a free solo rock-climber, like I used to be IRL. Not everyone wants to play that in their games. I do it by choice, and enjoy my role play. And I know I risk hurting or killing my character doing so. But I have a free choice to do it or not. I am not forced to do it because it adds more "realism" to the game for me.You feel free to lug around 20 lbs of stones, and lay them out on the ground every time you want to build a fire. 

Again, you have an idea. I do not like it, I would not upvote it. Others may choose differently. But my vote is "No.", no matter how you try to make your idea sound "appealing". To me, it is unappealing. And would honestly make me stop playing if I was forced to play it that way. We can agree to disagree. But please, don't try to tel me your opinion is better than mine, They are both equal.

*shrugs*

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

Never used it, but it always scares the wolf if you merely point it to the animal direction right? That's a drawback only if you want to kill (I know you want 🤠!) , which is technically not its purpose since the rifle exists. Don't you think it's still a flat out 'gain' compared to previous build? I don't see any risk associated with using the gun, strangely enough. To be honest since it doesn't spawn on interloper I welcome the revolver as a very nice addition, it brings more variety to run up to stalker, and it's always a good thing. I still have the 'flat out gain' problem with birch tea, but that's another matter :D

It does scare even if you miss, but revolver rounds come at the cost of fewer rifle rounds, which means yeah sure maybe you get more guaranteed scares, but you get fewer high-powered rifle hits.  It may make the game easier in the short term (provided you're fortunate enough to find a revolver early on) but it comes at the cost of long-term rifle use.

And of course, you're not obligated to use it.  I for one welcome any flat-out gains, because I love more stuff.  I don't have to use it.  I'm free to play a "no birch sapling" run if I want, by simply not taking birch saplings.  And that of course is in addition to all the clustercussery we have with the Custom settings.

2 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Never used it, but it always scares the wolf if you merely point it to the animal direction right? That's a drawback only if you want to kill (I know you want 🤠!) , which is technically not its purpose since the rifle exists.

There's no drawback. After one or two books, you kill. The aiming system makes it really easy and, as I just saw, at higher skill levels there's even an auto-aim help. The revolver makes traveling a piece of cake. You kill the first wolf/bear that shows and all the rest will flee.
Also, with the rifle, if you miss the first shot, there's almost no chance to have time to fire again. With the revolver you can fire 3 times before the wolf gets you. I've tried with the bow or the rifle to shot at a fleeing wolf and never succeed. With the revolver I can run after them and shot as soon as they turn.
That's a bazooka. And well, I'm happy to have give it a try in my long run Voyageur. I'll be pleased to go back to a custom challenge.

37 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

It does scare even if you miss, but revolver rounds come at the cost of fewer rifle rounds

I'm not sure of that, are you ?

And of course, you're not obligated to use it.  I for one welcome any flat-out gains, because I love more stuff.  I don't have to use it.

Totally.

I don't know why everyone seems so excited about the revolver.  I have found a couple of them and enough ammunition, but I find it less effective than a bow and arrow.

It's the same with the rifle.  I have no wish to carry around a loaded rifle weighing around 4.5Kg or a revolver weight weight 1.5KG, excluding ammo.  I bow weighs 0.5Kg and arrows are reusable.  I now leave revolvers and rifles at a base and just take the bow and a few arrows.

10 hours ago, LkP said:

I'm not sure of that, are you ?

I won't be "sure" of it for months, until I've had several new playthroughs, can approximately average the results, and compare to how many rifle rounds I'd accumulate in previous years.  But I have noticed revolver rounds spawning in the same places I think to check for rifle rounds, so my working hypothesis is that "rifle spawn point" and "ammo spawn point" are now randomly going to generate a rifle/rifle ammo, or revolver/revolver ammo.  So over the course of an entire playthrough, more revolvers/revolver ammo should come at the cost of reduced rifle/rifle ammo.

I could be wrong though.  It happens once or twice a decade. :P

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I won't be "sure" of it for months, until I've had several new playthroughs, can approximately average the results, and compare to how many rifle rounds I'd accumulate in previous years.  But I have noticed revolver rounds spawning in the same places I think to check for rifle rounds, so my working hypothesis is that "rifle spawn point" and "ammo spawn point" are now randomly going to generate a rifle/rifle ammo, or revolver/revolver ammo.  So over the course of an entire playthrough, more revolvers/revolver ammo should come at the cost of reduced rifle/rifle ammo.

I could be wrong though.  It happens once or twice a decade. :P

I hope it doesn't lessen the frequency of rifle rounds by that much.  An accurate shot had ample to get to skill level 5, but a person who misses, say, even 20% of the time might have difficulty and it would be heartbreaking for a beginner going for that achievement to reach the end of a long long run only to fall short of a rifle/revolver achievement by running out of ammo.  If your theory is correct and ammo spawns are all shared, then rifle rounds are going to get reduced by more than 50% to accommodate revolver ammo spawns.  We also don't yet know what sort of kill rate/accuracy with the revolver it will take to get that skill to level 5, but we can expect that there will be a higher percentage of missed shots with that firearm given its intended use.

I'm glad I've already gotten the Skilled Survivor achievement, since it could be a lot tougher to get it now.

I'm somewhat disappointed that they chose to up the number of revolver spawns by decreasing the number of rifle spawns.  It means I'm going to have to start ot carry a rifle when I move into a new zone and forfeit bringing along other gear to keep the weight down.

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 hours ago, peteloud said:

I don't know why everyone seems so excited about the revolver.  I have found a couple of them and enough ammunition, but I find it less effective than a bow and arrow.

It's the same with the rifle.  I have no wish to carry around a loaded rifle weighing around 4.5Kg or a revolver weight weight 1.5KG, excluding ammo.  I bow weighs 0.5Kg and arrows are reusable.  I now leave revolvers and rifles at a base and just take the bow and a few arrows.

Agreed.  I just have it set as my default struggle weapon now.