Improve bearskin bedroll

peteloud

In games lasting hundreds of game days I have found that all the bedrolls I find are ruined. This forced me into making and using bearskin bedrolls.  These seemed to deteriorate faster than standard bedrolls. When attacked a wolf or bear sometimes I would find that my bearskin bedroll was destroyed.

I wish bearskin bedrolls deteriorated more slowly then standard bedrolls and were tougher and took less damages in wolf and bear attacks.

• Upvote 3

If you go take a look at https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Decay you'll find that bearskin bedrolls decay more slowly than cloth bedrolls. It's important that you pick up the bedroll when you're done sleeping, even if you drop it right away. Leaving it rolled out results in a decay of 0.1%/hr, not 0.2%/day, which results in 2.4%/day decay. No matter what kind of bedroll you have, always pick it up when you wake up to minimise decay rates.

Both kinds of bedrolls can take damage from wildlife struggles. It's a low probability but it's not zero. Some days, you're the windshield... some days, you're the bug.

• Upvote 2

Also, if you're finding ruined bedrolls (depending upon setting), you may wish to consider doing "quick run-throughs" on new games: when starting a new game, hit the areas known to contain better/more loot and quickly move through the area doing so.  Move on the next area doing the same thing creating stashes along the way.  Once you've "swept" all the zones, you can take a more relaxed stance.

I suppose I'd kind of like to see the bear bedroll be more durable... considering it's made of bearskin and fur as opposed to just cloth.  From a gameplay standpoint I suppose I understand why it is the way it is presently (it's warmer and made of a harder resource to come by - compared to cloth I mean), but also considering this I feel it perhaps should  be more durable than it presently is.

• Upvote 2

The replies made me wonder how many types and rates of deterioration of bedroll are there?

Are these different modes/rates of deterioration,

* rolled up in building,

* rolled up outside,

* unrolled, outside and inside,

* when being slept in,

* deterioration when attacked by an animal.

If there are multiple rates of deterioration are they the same standard bedroll and bearskin bedroll.

As I wrote this it crossed my mind that it would be good to have a wolf-skin or deerskin bedroll, somewhere between standard and bear, warmer, heavier and stronger than the standard but less than bearskin. It would use up part of the mountain of pelts we all collect.  I presume that it would be easy to add to the game with almost identical game mechanics to the bearskin bedroll.

@ManicManiac My experience is that the wiki is pretty good when it comes to that stuff. @peteloud Inside and outside don't really matter, but rolled and unrolled makes a huge difference. For the bedroll, unrolled is 0.1%/hr, whereas rolled it's 0.2%/day. If you leave it unrolled it's going to decay 2.4%/day, whereas rolled it's going to be 0.2%/day. If you leave it unrolled it's going to be garbage in 25 days; rolled up you're looking at five hundred days before a 100% condition bedroll turns into a pumpkin. With the bearskin bedroll it's going to be a bit longer unrolled (about thirty days vs 25 days for a full condition bearskin bedroll to hit zero) but a bit faster otherwise; my experience is that you need to feed it a bearskin and cloth about once every two to three months to keep it in good shape so long as you're sure to roll it up when you wake up.

The bearskin bedroll decays a bit slower than that when it's unrolled (0.068%/hour) but a bit faster then rest of the time (0.275%/day vs 0.2%/day for a cloth bedroll. On the gripping hand it's totally worth it given the normal bedroll gives a +5 degree bonus and the bearskin bedroll is +12. With a bearskin bedroll and top tier clothing you can totally wait out a blizzard in the back of a cave without a fire and not have to worry about hypothermia; my long run guy (635 days in) gets up to +42 warm bonus when dressed and in the bearskin bedroll.

I would totally craft the bearskin bedroll before a bearskin coat... though I'd get to the coat too.

Don't forget the capacity for condition recovery.  A bearskin bedroll counts as an actual bed if you sleep in it, meaning you can regain up to 90% condition as a baseline if you sleep for 12 hours straight (not counting the -2% condition hit for thirst on hour 11 and 12 on Interloper).  If you also pop a Birch Bark tea, that jumps to 92% recovery, and an herbal tea spikes that to a staggering 102% condition recovered.

TLD may not have potions, but it has bearskin bedrolls.  And that's the next best thing.

• Upvote 1