gamejunger

Harvest shortcut key

Posted (edited)

When you harvest something you need to go to action button to harvest it. Why not do a shortcut like Ctrl+Click on item to Harvest item or Shift+Click on item to repair it something like this (sorry for bad english)

Edited by gamejunger
  • Upvote 1

Hi!

I'm pretty sure that's actually intentional. While you're in selecting actions time is passing in the game. That you'll end up taking a minute or three to get your stuff together to actually get down and start cutting makes sense from the simulation POV.

• Like 1

...while also preventing "mistakes".

I agree though, it can be cumbersome breaking down all those useless clothing items 😋

• Upvote 1

I feel that a hot key assignment for the crafting menu would be more valuable.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind, any hotkey assignments also have to be able to be assigned somehow on a controller, for computer user who prefer a controller, and for console players who use controllers. And finding a combo on a controller that isn't easy to "mess up" can be difficult. And it would seem that a controller would have far fewer available combinations to use, overall. The game version is the same on all platforms, so the controls need to work well on all platforms. Otherwise, it would feel like computer players are being favored with an "easier" game to play.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Keep in mind, any hotkey assignments also have to be able to be assigned somehow on a controller

Very good point, I hadn't really thought about that. 

Edited by ManicManiac

I say screw keeping things even between controller and kb/mouse users. kb/mouse users shouldn't be limited by controllers. That's consolitis that is, and it's a plague. And besides, controller users probably can choose their walk/run speed in fine increments by moving the joystick however much they wish. Should we limit console players to max speed or walking only like keyboard users have?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, odizzido said:

I say screw keeping things even between controller and kb/mouse users. kb/mouse users shouldn't be limited by controllers. That's consolitis that is, and it's a plague. And besides, controller users probably can choose their walk/run speed in fine increments by moving the joystick however much they wish. Should we limit console players to max speed or walking only like keyboard users have?

I agree to some extent.  One platform or another should not be held back because it cannot be supported by all.

Please don't turn this thread into a PC vs. console debate. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

QUICK DROP HOTKEY. Choose an item. You're exploring and are able to mark your path by dropping rubbish such as extra tinder bundles or cat tail heads. Side tunnels in caves? Safe crossings on ice? Goat paths?

PICK UP EVERYTHING HOTKEY. Standing still, you pick up everything visible within range without machinegun clicking all those pieces of cloth, sticks or mushrooms.

There are many actions which would benefit from hotkeys.

Edited by Doc Feral

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

PICK UP EVERYTHING HOTKEY.

It would be convenient I suppose.  However, it seems to me that part of the flavor of this game is that everything you do, you do deliberately.

:) 

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion."

- Henry David Thoreau

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Admin said:

Please don't turn this thread into a PC vs. console debate. 

PCs and consoles are pretty much exactly the same these days so what I really mean is controller vs kb/mouse. I tried to keep it that way since there are quite a few PC users who use controllers now anyways but I failed. Maybe I will edit my post.

I still hope that controls will not be limited by the lowest common denominator, but instead use the user's preferred input method to its best ability.

• Upvote 1