Who would enjoy Shelter building

Diesel

I’ve been Playing for a while and I go camping in Places just like Great bear for 2-5 weeks at a time and I always build little shelters out of logs and sticks. 

I think that would be a great addition to the game to allow for more of a fun way to play the game and really make unique homes for the perfect survival condition

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't like damn castle building or anything crazy like all those other survival games where you can somehow build a 7 story mansion in the middle of a forest. But small shelter building would be kinda cool, like a branch teepee or a wind blind for your fire. A drying rack perhaps for curing stuff outdoors over a fire (temporary) and other small camp upgrades for when you're out and about.

But what I'd like to see more than that would be fixing up existing shelters like the mountaineer hut. Or breaking into locked buildings by busting down the door or breaking into windows, which would render the place difficult to stay in because it's so cold. But you'd be able to fix that up too. 

Aye! I'd like a placeable, wind proof structure you can have a fire in. I think something like a small skinned dom tent would be great. Building on the snow shelter we already have, you could upgrade using large pieces of wood, cured skins and guts. You could go to a small basic windproof dome then onto a well insulated, wolf proof dome. The finished product could require a large number of skins and hours work. Now it doesn't fit with the game's focus which is survival, not settling. However, once you're crafting sets of bear skin equipment you are pretty much settled. So I'd love something like that to give the game more late game activity.

Althought it would be pretty neat to have different shelter, the thing is these are basically redundant with the actual snow shelter. Knowing the limited resource of Hinterland and all the things that they want to tackle (e.g. finishing Wintermute), I guess that pretty low on their priorities list.

On a higher level, I don't think this is within the spirit of the game. The Long Dark is not a crafting game, it's a survival game in an apocalyptic reality. In this context, I don't see why someone would undertake to built any kind of shelter, while you have so much human shelter around you. That would represent a consequent waste of resource. Energie preservation. You can just pick any of the numerous empty house or already existing shelter.

Snow shelter was designed to give you a temporary mean to survive a sudden blizzard, not a mean to settle down.

• Upvote 3

I know people want a shelter they can put their fire in, but I'm OK with having it outside the door of the snow shelter.  I can usually place the shelter such that the fire is quite well protected from virtually all sides anyways and I don't want to haul around any more weight in wood and hides to build a more substantial structure when I can just move into a house or cave.  It would be nice if we could clean up some places better and move furniture around rather than having to destroy it.