Doc Feral

Injuries and autosaves

Recommended Posts

Something strange happened, and since it happened twice I'm starting to think it may be not strange anymore.
A while ago I commented somewhere about suffering a bleeding wound from a fight with a wolf, and that to my surprise it didn't trigger the autosave. Yesterday it happened again. I didn't notice, and I decided to quit and resume after a while, finding myself back in a bunker and thus losing some exploration time. I remember that serious afflictions (hypothermia, frostbite, sprains, poisoning, parasites...) triggered the autosave, and the same happened with bloodloss. I'm starting to be more careful so I don't go around hacking at wolves like I used to do, so after two such events I ask: have you noticed any difference in post-fight saves? Does a bleeding wound with no sprained joints cause the autosave or not?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just tested it, I made myself get a Sprain and the Game did Auto Save. :) 

PS. Let me check a Wolf Attack and see if it Auto Saves.

EDIT: It Auto - Saved on the Wolf Attack, but my character did suffer a Wrist Sprain from that Attack. :/ 

Edited by kristaok
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was exceedingly brave. Thanks, I'll try it myself.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doc Feral said:

That was exceedingly brave. Thanks, I'll try it myself.

I hope it auto saves for you!

PS. nah it wasn't brave it was on a new file just for testing so no worries! :D  

In reality I am a BIG baby! these TLD Wolves scare me! :P 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I had an auto-save immediately after a sprain when I was in the middle of a almost vertical rockface.    This sprain, and auto-save, could easily have occurred when I was in a situation which was impossible to get out of.  If this happened the game would not be recoverable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Today I had an auto-save immediately after a sprain when I was in the middle of a almost vertical rockface.    This sprain, and auto-save, could easily have occurred when I was in a situation which was impossible to get out of.  If this happened the game would not be recoverable.

Among the "fixes" for the new update devs said they eliminated some of the "holes" where you could get unexplicably stuck. Anyway, sprains are out of the question, the issue is about struggles with bleeding wounds but not sprains.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc Feral said:

Among the "fixes" for the new update devs said they eliminated some of the "holes" where you could get unexplicably stuck. Anyway, sprains are out of the question, the issue is about struggles with bleeding wounds but not sprains.

I tried to just Bleed but sadly I got the Sprain, if I recall when I got a Bruise it did not Auto Save. :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doc feral,

". . . the issue is about struggles with bleeding wounds but not sprains. "

The point that I was trying to make was not particularly about sprains. 

 

I was trying to make the point that if an auto-save, for whatever reason,  was made when a player was in a position where he could neither advance or retreat, it would result in the game not being recoverable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peteloud said:

Doc feral,

". . . the issue is about struggles with bleeding wounds but not sprains. "

The point that I was trying to make was not particularly about sprains. 

 

I was trying to make the point that if an auto-save, for whatever reason,  was made when a player was in a position where he could neither advance or retreat, it would result in the game not being recoverable.

If they truly fixed the "traps" I can only think of two kinds of death sentence injuries. One is sprains while goating into a dead end, which may be deserved when you actively defy death. The other is quite sad to think about, getting stuck with a sprain and no bedroll or first aid at the bottom of the Broken Railroad ravine. That truly is a depressing perspective.

Apart from that, a bleeding wound from a struggle and no bandages is a death sentence most of the times, but it's part of the game.

Edited by Doc Feral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doc Feral,

". . . no bedroll or first aid at the bottom of the Broken Railroad ravine . .. "

It is still possible to sleep down there and have the sprain recover.

Having auto-saves after sleeping will almost certainly ensure that you are not in an irrecoverable situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Doc Feral,

". . . no bedroll or first aid at the bottom of the Broken Railroad ravine . .. "

It is still possible to sleep down there and have the sprain recover.

Having auto-saves after sleeping will almost certainly ensure that you are not in an irrecoverable situation.

Tearing up your own clothes and picking up enough sticks for a shelter, I forgot that.

Afflictions causing autosaves is a way to limit the "oh, well, I messed up, I'll just exit the game and reload" and makes sense. On the other hand, being able to do it when nothong bad happened is good for easily distracted. If I'm starting to play and after a minute kids quarrel, my wife needs help and the cat is hungry I may be confused and head in the wrong direction, and I'd rather replay a few minutes than having to survive in the wrong place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Doc Feral,

". . . no bedroll or first aid at the bottom of the Broken Railroad ravine . .. "

It is still possible to sleep down there and have the sprain recover.

Having auto-saves after sleeping will almost certainly ensure that you are not in an irrecoverable situation.

Not the Broken Railroad ravine.  There's no place to sleep down there without a bedroll.  I believe you're thinking of the Raven Falls Ravine, which has that cave and the bed of pine needles in it.

 

7 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Something strange happened, and since it happened twice I'm starting to think it may be not strange anymore.
A while ago I commented somewhere about suffering a bleeding wound from a fight with a wolf, and that to my surprise it didn't trigger the autosave. Yesterday it happened again. I didn't notice, and I decided to quit and resume after a while, finding myself back in a bunker and thus losing some exploration time. I remember that serious afflictions (hypothermia, frostbite, sprains, poisoning, parasites...) triggered the autosave, and the same happened with bloodloss. I'm starting to be more careful so I don't go around hacking at wolves like I used to do, so after two such events I ask: have you noticed any difference in post-fight saves? Does a bleeding wound with no sprained joints cause the autosave or not?

Are you playing Survivor mode?  Because in Story mode, I have noticed the game does not auto-save after suffering an affliction.  But if you're playing Survivor mode then your guess is as good as mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" Not the Broken Railroad ravine.  There's no place to sleep down there without a bedroll.  I believe you're thinking of the Raven Falls Ravine, which has that cave and the bed of pine needles in it. "

 

My apologies, I was thinking of Raven Falls Ravine. 

I also had in mind, " Tearing up your own clothes and picking up enough sticks for a shelter", but I've never tried sleeping in a snow shelter without a bedroll and wasn't sure it could be done.

The first time I slipped into 'the long dark' was when I descended into Raven Falls Ravine without a bedroll and couldn't get out. I hadn't noticed the bed of pine needles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh, well, I've never built a snow shelter, so I'm repeating things I've read. I think I've entered one I found in FM, but didn't sleep, it was on the Spence's side which is full of caves.

Edited by Doc Feral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 2:08 AM, Doc Feral said:

Among the "fixes" for the new update devs said they eliminated some of the "holes" where you could get unexplicably stuck. Anyway, sprains are out of the question, the issue is about struggles with bleeding wounds but not sprains.

Not quite all of them though, got myself stuck in one just a few days ago. It was quite a drop too. If I sprained myself then, my game would have been lost for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 11:06 PM, peteloud said:

The first time I slipped into 'the long dark' was when I descended into Raven Falls Ravine without a bedroll and couldn't get out. I hadn't noticed the bed of pine needles.

Actually the bed of pine needles was added with the launch of Wintermute, so depending on when you first started playing the bed may not have existed yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Doc Feral said:

The other is quite sad to think about, getting stuck with a sprain and no bedroll or first aid at the bottom of the Broken Railroad ravine. That truly is a depressing perspective.

This might not be that dire of a situation.  Firstly bandage can be obtained from any clothing.  Just rip up socks or mittens or hat and create a bandage for the sprain.  Or if need to sleep that might call for desperate solution; snow shelter made from your clothing.  Near the rope climb there is a spot for a fire that is fairly windproof also a snow shelter fits that is warmed by the fire.

The odd things I noticed about injury and the auto save is if when having a fire being placed (pressing key '4') even if the icon is red the fire pit will be placed in the world when reloaded. 

It might work for placing other items. 

 It works for Battery! 

screen_c53cd749-6b4b-4694-a4e5-5bf97492d202_hi.thumb.png.263a5758785ffaabd5b71e04f45b99c4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now