Milton Mailbag -- Dispatch #32

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Maybe you need to think a bit more about Interloper than the lower difficulties. On lower difficulties you don't necessarily need a fire to harvest a carcass.

I think about all the Experience Modes and all my players. The Interlopers are a small (albeit vocal) crowd, and aren't any more or less important than any other players. In general though we try not to design systems around one particular "type" of player. 

The issue is how will it fit on the current UI, I dont want it to be a square along the rest of the Campfire actions because I would certainly click it accidentally. Also, dismantling shouldnt be an option if any food or cooking utensils are on the fire. 

14 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

But it would be nice to correct any campfires that you want to slightly move. 

It would. Just yesterday I got caught in a blizzard, and built a campfire so that I could sleep in a snow shelter without freezing to death. It turned out there were no valid spots to place the snow shelter near enough to the fire, so had to build a second fire abiut a foot away from the first one, then painstakingly take and harvest torches so as not to waste all the fuel.

The ability to move and or dismantle fireplaces would be nice for 'cleaning up', but the ability to damp down and reuse fuel from existing fires would probably have a more noticeable gameplay benefit.

Edited by Pillock

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I think about all the Experience Modes and all my players. The Interlopers are a small (albeit vocal) crowd, and aren't any more or less important than any other players. In general though we try not to design systems around one particular "type" of player. 

Thanks for this comment, because I have only played Interloper a couple of times and to be honest I sucked at it :P ... I actually prefer Pilgrim and Voyager. :) 

Guest kristaok
19 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I wasn't aware of this.  Have others experienced snow levels changing?

I didn't even know they could change....

Yes, the Enfields in .303 Brit are super common  in Canada. They were issued in the hundreds of thousands in WWI and WWII, and came home witl many soldiers. Lots of moose and bear have been taken with those old warhorses, even if US gun writers will tell you it's way too underpowered.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Is this about cleaning up after yourself?

I like the idea of dismantling old fires, and speaking for myself... absolutely it's about cleaning up after myself. I grew up in the "take only pictures, leave only footprints" school of bush camping.

• Like 1

Guest Kane Parry

When is the long dark set as in year as there is floppy discs but also smartphones and laptops it confuses me a bit 

On 5/13/2019 at 7:10 AM, hozz1235 said:

I wasn't aware of this.  Have others experienced snow levels changing?

To clarify, I should have said that things will start to sink into the snow. I am not sure why but I have had (ones I created and some that were spawned in the sandbox) campfires noticeably sink into the snow. Sometimes enough to have only one cooking surface. I have also had cooked meat laid on the snow become less visible and with 1.48 or 1.49, had a bunch of cooked meat on the snow at Poacher's Camp sink far enough to be barely visible and some was not (so those were lost for now). I don't attribute the sinking to the current set of updates, this has been happening for a long time. 

So the snow does not really rise but darn it I do lose stuff under it. This is separate from certain situations where the snow, like on that trailer near the Pleasant Valley farm house, do not actually constitute a surface so stuff dropped on it will "disappear" under the surface but you can still find and pick them up.

Guest Kane Parry
1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

If you have new questions, please add them to the Mailbag Questions thread. Thanks!

Will do in the future :)

On 5/11/2019 at 1:30 AM, ManicManiac said:

Yes, I suppose it is a bit about cleaning up after ourselves (one of the old things I was taught about camping/hiking - what you pack in...you pack out).  Maybe it's also a bit of an esthetic hang-up for me.  Numerous times I just wanted to put down some fire to thaw a carcass or just the necessity to keep warm, but just as often I opt not to only because I know it will be there forever.  There are plenty I would definitely want to leave in place as a landmark or a good strategic spot to have a permanent fire pit.  I guess I'm just a little too choosy about it because I don't want to clutter the landscape with seemingly random fire pits :) 

I feel you. I’m also very picky about where to place a fire because I know they are permanent. So it would be great to remove the ones I had to put somewhere when my health was more important than being picky. 🙂

• Admin locked, featured and unfeatured this topic