Why the .303?

I'm curious about the choice of rifle and caliber chosen for the rifle in TLD. I'm not terribly familiar with the rifle itself but I understand it has a long history in the late British empire. As far as the caliber in general, I don't think I have ever seen a rifle chambered for .303 where I'm from in the US. Is .303 a popular caliber in Canada for hunting deer or other cervids? Was the rifle chosen to emphasize the "Canadianess" of the game ( I'm not Canadian, but I feel TLD has sort of a Canadian "identity" and I think thats pretty cool. It works very well for this game)?

• Upvote 3

On 5/9/2019 at 7:27 AM, Grignard_TN said:

I'm curious about the choice of rifle and caliber chosen for the rifle in TLD. I'm not terribly familiar with the rifle itself but I understand it has a long history in the late British empire. As far as the caliber in general, I don't think I have ever seen a rifle chambered for .303 where I'm from in the US. Is .303 a popular caliber in Canada for hunting deer or other cervids? Was the rifle chosen to emphasize the "Canadianess" of the game ( I'm not Canadian, but I feel TLD has sort of a Canadian "identity" and I think thats pretty cool. It works very well for this game)?

The .303 only really surfaces in the discussion of C&R (Curio and Relic) collection, guys like me are collectors of old rifles and other firearms. Its only the Enfields that I ever see get chambered in .303 and ammo for it is harder than I'd like it to be to find in the US. Since it was a British rifle and Canada was a commonwealth nation, it made sense to have that commonality especially during the major conflicts like World War II.