All mods are disabled entirely on new update

• Hinterland
6 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I'm sure you've thought about this before, but I definitely think you could have done this with Wintermute - ie. included, say, Episodes 1 & 2 (or even just episode 1) in the base price of the game, and then charged extra for each additional episode.

I'd have been perfectly happy with that, anyway. An episodic release like your story mode would seem to fit that model quite well. Perhaps for Wintermute 2? 

We would have done that if I hadn't promised all 5 episodes of WINTERMUTE to everyone who Kickstarted the game or bought it on Early Access.

That said, there could be a point in the future where we shift to the model you describe, "grandfathering" all existing customers to the old full-season model of course. 

@kristaok By subscription/streaming I mean things like PlayStation Now, Xbox Game Pass, etc. It seems the future of at least a big part of the games business will shift to that model, like Netflix basically. Players pay a subscription and get access to a range of games on it. It changes the fundamental business model for developers in a big way.

• Like 1

• Hinterland
7 minutes ago, BESt said:

I'm not proud of it and it is hard for me to admit it, but I had a similar story. Some years ago, I used to play only pirated games. I've found about this game online and I've wanted to try it out. Without having a Steam account and any funds to purchase it, my option was to find a pirated game. I liked so much the game, it's community and the developer team that I've decided to purchase a copy of the game, because I've finally understood the effort that was put into making this game. Since then, I've never used any other pirated software/game and I was a devoted player and member of this community. One last time, I'm not proud of it and I want to appologise to the HL team this way.

Thank you for acknowledging our efforts by paying for the game. :) It's how we stay in business.

• Like 2

Guest kristaok
2 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

We would have done that if I hadn't promised all 5 episodes of WINTERMUTE to everyone who Kickstarted the game or bought it on Early Access.

That said, there could be a point in the future where we shift to the model you describe, "grandfathering" all existing customers to the old full-season model of course. 

@kristaok By subscription/streaming I mean things like PlayStation Now, Xbox Game Pass, etc. It seems the future of at least a big part of the games business will shift to that model, like Netflix basically. Players pay a subscription and get access to a range of games on it. It changes the fundamental business model for developers in a big way.

I am glad you would grandfather us (the existing Customers).:D 

I don't have any Consoles, but I do know someone who have had to buy those Cards or whatever and do the Monthly thing to play their PS4 stuff. I know it's good money for ya'll, but I have personally never been a fan of this model, but if it's what you guys might do there's no stopping ya. :P Of course I would much rather you guys just consider going the Episodic Pay per Episode route, but again whatever you all decide I would have to respect that. But a word of advice, just because Companies are going this route does not mean it's cool with the fanbase, does this make sense? what I mean is, I don't think I am the only one who don't like to be tied into a Monthly Payment Plan. 

Sometimes it's better to stand out, then to be a part of a crowd... :) 

10 hours ago, Sov3rei8n said:

if it wasn't for the pirated version, I would probably have never bought it.

Same here. Now I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's true. 40-50 hours of play, then I bought it at full price, bought a copy for a friend, and now trying to convince everyone else to get it. This is the best game ever made in my humble opinion, and it's not even finished yet.  Now I keep telling my friends that I'm never playing anything else ever again. Well, I still play a bit of Hearthstone...until TLD drops on Switch and then that's that. At 41, and a lifetime of gaming behind me, it's so bizarre how I have no more desire to play anything else . This game has become a metaphor for life in some ways. And it follows me around every day. And, of course... my wife allows me to play😁...because she loves everything about it too...without ever having played herself. Thanks for the best gaming experience ever Hinterland. Thank you very much 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 1

• Hinterland
57 minutes ago, kristaok said:

I am glad you would grandfather us (the existing Customers).:D 

I don't have any Consoles, but I do know someone who have had to buy those Cards or whatever and do the Monthly thing to play their PS4 stuff. I know it's good money for ya'll, but I have personally never been a fan of this model, but if it's what you guys might do there's no stopping ya. :P Of course I would much rather you guys just consider going the Episodic Pay per Episode route, but again whatever you all decide I would have to respect that. But a word of advice, just because Companies are going this route does not mean it's cool with the fanbase, does this make sense? what I mean is, I don't think I am the only one who don't like to be tied into a Monthly Payment Plan. 

Sometimes it's better to stand out, then to be a part of a crowd... :) 

Yeah, to be clear -- I'm talking about how the business model is evolving for those platforms, not specifically whether we would want to do it or not. For us, the current retail model is a lot more advantageous, because we generate revenue with all the new players we bring in which drives a bunch of the decisions we make. If we know we're getting a 'flat rate' for a game that goes on a subscription service, it's way less interesting to us. I'm talking about what the bigger industry is shifting towards -- there may be a point where we as developers no longer have a choice if we want to be on the bigger platforms. (Let's hope that doesn't happen.)

I also think there's a version of that model that could be really positive for everyone, if the right decisions are made. And if there are multiple good entry points and business models that one game can sustain, such as The Long Dark, than that's not a bad thing either, because it lets players come in at different price points depending on their preference and how dedicated they feel to the game.

• Hinterland
57 minutes ago, Lohaan said:

Same here. Now I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's true. 40-50 hours of play, then I bought it at full price, bought a copy for a friend, and now trying to convince everyone else to get it. This is the best game ever made in my humble opinion, and it's not even finished yet.  Now I keep telling my friends that I'm never playing anything else ever again. Well, I still play a bit of Hearthstone...until TLD drops on Switch and then that's that. At 41, and a lifetime of gaming behind me, it's so bizarre how I have no more desire to play anything else . This game has become a metaphor for life in some ways. And it follows me around every day. And, of course... my wife allows me to play😁...because she loves everything about it too...without ever having played herself. Thanks for the best gaming experience ever Hinterland. Thank you very much 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Well, one thing is clear -- we have the nicest ex-pirates around! 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Indeed, I can see both sides of the subscription issue.  If you go back to like 1988, you bought a game, you got it as-is in its current condition, forever.  Which of course has led to some of the most famous glitches and exploits of all time, like the minus world in Super Mario Bros, or the pause/unpause trick in Mega Man.   Fast forward to today, when these bugs and exploits are often patched out of the game.  But even beyond that, the game can now continue to evolve beyond the initial release.  So yeah, on the one hand, nobody wants to keep paying for a game they already bought.  But on the other hand, how much free new content can a player reasonably expect to receive?

Well I guess for what it's worth, I'd be on board with paid DLC if it comes to it.  And even a subscription is not out of the question, provided new content and special events happened more frequently in exchange.  We currently get a major update about every six months, which is awesome because they're free.  But I don't see anyone paying a regular subscription fee for that.  Something like an Event of the Month club might go over pretty well, where a paid subscription allows you access to an alternate game mode that changes each month (like 4DoN).  Kind of delving into Wish List territory here...

Edited by ajb1978
  • Like 1

Guest Kane Parry

I love the modding community (I mainly use mods on fallout games) but I think we should wait for Hinterland to allow us but I know people who make fabulous mods what don't destroy the game they help it conform to there likes (in a good way)

Edited by Kane Parry

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, Hawk said:

As for @Raphael van Lieropmentioning grandfathering existing customers in, I can attest to his commitment on that by the fact that even though Hinterland pulled TLD from GOG, we still get updates there.

I must say I am still pleasantly surprised and impressed on his commitment on that. :)👍

Even though I don't use GOG for TLD, I am still glad that even though they pulled the Game from there, they are still Updating it for those who bought it there. :D 

Guest kristaok
21 minutes ago, Sito said:

With what other game studio could you talk with the creative director about pirating and modding and get a discussion going? 

Kudos TLD! :)

If you notice these people said they stopped pirating TLD, if they would have been promoting pirating TLD and posting links I doubt HL would have let that fly. :D But I agree I do love how HL is an easy going Company, a lot of other places are ban hammer happy over teeny tiny things. :/ 

Edited by kristaok

3 minutes ago, Grignard_TN said:

I've never heard of a developer that responds this quickly and directly addresses their customers like this. I feel like not only effort but a lot of passion went into this little project.

I agree. I love this game and the developers who made it

so..... can we now drop this whole modding topic and let Hinterland get on with giving us the most awesome game ever? 

modding = later

fix my crash=now

awesome environment standing outside my porch on PV with sunset blizzard=well.... awesome :)

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, Sito said:

so..... can we now drop this whole modding topic and let Hinterland get on with giving us the most awesome game ever? 

modding = later

fix my crash=now

awesome environment standing outside my porch on PV with sunset blizzard=well.... awesome :)

Why, are you having crashing issues or? also technically this Topic is about Modding, so that's why people were discussing it. :P :D 

Just registered to share my two cents. I'm the one who made the reddit post this thread links to right at the start FWIW.

Anyway, i have been suffering from major depression for the better part of my life and it has not gotten any better. I'm saying this to try to illustrate my point, not to seek "compassion" or whatever... i have a roof, food, a bed and a job so i certainly shouldn't be complaining. But there's this thing that comes with depression... no matter what you do, everything feels like a chore. Even entertaiment feels like a chore, to the point that i can spend a whole day staring at my library while playing nothing. And it may seem an exaggeration but it is not, some people will know exactly how that feels.

Well, this is where The Long Dark comes into play. I discovered it in late 2015 / early 2016 and was instantly blown away. Here it was, the survival game i had always wanted. No zombies, no FPS, no nonsense... just you, the cold and your wits. Granted, it was still pretty bare-bones compared to what it is today but there was absolutely nothing that could compare to it so i got hooked instantly, to the point that i actually WANTED to have time for myself so i could play as opposed to FLEEING from it. And i enjoyed every bit of it, i watched every "Let's Play" i could find and rejoiced when i found out what Stacy's Soda was all about. I didn't engage very much with the community though, but i followed all progress intently.

Now, i'll spare all the drama surrounding reddit, the "countdown to the countdown", the first clash with the modding community... but by then, i already had done pretty much all what the vanilla game had to offer and was looking for new challenges. Nothing major, just that little extra something that could provide me with a new experience, and this is where i discovered the Relentless Night Mod. If The Long Dark had been the game i had been waiting for all of those years, said mod was the icing on the cake. You could look at it as a "custom sandbox challenge" within the vanilla TLD experience and you wouldn't be far off, but all of a sudden i was freezing indoors and exhausting my resources faster than i could replenish them. I was having a hard time surviving again, at over a thousand hours logged and who knows how many more while offline. For me, it was 2015 all over again in the sense that i had a "new" favorite game that actually sparked my interest enough to play it - and enjoy doing so.

And here we are now. I am extremely grateful to Hinterland for making possible this fantastic experience and i supported the studio the way it's supposed to be, by paying for the game and spreading the word. But there are other players who also happen to be modders that provided a lot of tools to those who wanted something extra, for free and out of LOVE for your work (otherwise why even bother) so if i was game developer i think i'd feel honored but i am not so i won't pretend i know better. I've composed music in the past though and i do know how it feels when people genuinely like your work yet there's always a "but what if...?", but that's another story for another day.

What i'm trying to say is that i understand Hinterland wanting to protect their vision of the game by keeping "unauthorized" mods at bay, yet all the modders are trying to do is NOT to "improve", "change" or "destroy" your vision of the game, but rather broaden it (when it's not just bugfixing). Because they love what Hinterland has created and want more of it. And sure, there will be people who will take "advantage" and go all OP but guess what, let them be. This is single player after all.

I think i've ranted enough for now but in closing, i just want to stress that what makes a game truly a classic in The Long Run is mod support. Even if it's not official. I won't be citing specific examples but you can find them all over the place. It's what keeps veterans (and newcomers) invested and coming back for more even when official support has long since ended.

Thank you Hinterland, and thank you modding community. I really hope you all can collaborate with an open mind in a not so distant future, i really do. Peace.

*typos

Edited by Didi
  • Like 5

For the record, since this is still being discussed, I could forgo the mods if HLG just added "BRUTAL" difficulty. You know, crank everything up to 11. All the mods that made the game so much harsher. I mean, if the mod guys can do it, should be easy to add to the core game. Make them options on the custom menu, then add Brutal Difficulty and I'll be a happy (if frozen) camper.

Maybe Deadman. Would love official Deadman settings.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TheEldritchGod said:

For the record, since this is still being discussed, I could forgo the mods if HLG just added "BRUTAL" difficulty. You know, crank everything up to 11. All the mods that made the game so much harsher. I mean, if the mod guys can do it, should be easy to add to the core game. Make them options on the custom menu, then add Brutal Difficulty and I'll be a happy (if frozen) camper.

Maybe Deadman. Would love official Deadman settings.

Just play it in Blind Guy mode.

Turn off the monitor.  See how long you last.

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, Admin said:

Short-ish answer: mods broke because of a change in Unity we adopted to improve performances. To fix the current PC crash, we may have to roll that back and mods may work again for a short period of time. That is until we find a way to get those performance improvements in safely again, at which point mods are likely to break again. As for why we are currently not supporting mods, we have made it clear in the past: there are a lot of competing priorities while making a game like The Long Dark, with a team our size, at the level of quality that we want. At this stage, mods just create more work for our team still working and focusing on the core game (bug reports, performance issues etc.). We are looking forward to doing mod support justice with proper tools at a later stage.

Thank you for saying this :) I am pleased you are looking to support them in the future.

• 3 months later...