Sign in to follow this  
Ice Hole

Birch Bark Tea An Interlopers Dream

Someone made this awesome suggestion and I thank you.

One of the best way to get around is with a warm drink.  Now anytime is the right time to brew,  Thanks Hinterland for the long dark teatime of the soul! (need tea emoji)

• Upvote 1

Yea, either a tea from birch bark or from fir needles would be a blessing. Any sort of a natural, renewable, brewable and re-heatable drink would enhance the game a lot.

• Upvote 2

Birch bark tea was part of the update :) ...so now we have it.

• Upvote 1

Not quite sure about the game mechanics. If you set health recovery (awake) to none, you gain no benefit, healing wise, from BBT. If you set it to low, it seems to be a +2% gain over 2 hours, and when set on Very High, a +6% recovery. But these are just guesstimates. Still, a renewable source of calories that ISN'T animal based? Oh HO! I can finally work on my DEAD WORLD challenge.

Interloper without any animals. NONE. No rabbits. No Fish. No Bears or Wolves or moose. Just you and the unforgiving barren wasteland.

I can easily imagine myself walking through a birch grove.

"Ok, I'll pick up the last piece of bark. Yes, it's the last one. I'm only carrying 55 kgs, it's fine. Just another piece. I can handle it..."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Not quite sure about the game mechanics. If you set health recovery (awake) to none, you gain no benefit, healing wise, from BBT. If you set it to low, it seems to be a +2% gain over 2 hours, and when set on Very High, a +6% recovery. But these are just guesstimates. Still, a renewable source of calories that ISN'T animal based? Oh HO! I can finally work on my DEAD WORLD challenge.

Interloper without any animals. NONE. No rabbits. No Fish. No Bears or Wolves or moose. Just you and the unforgiving barren wasteland.

I’m glad birch bark has a unique use.  But we already have nearly unlimited reishi tea for warmth buffs and calories. There are enough cattails to live for hundreds of days on interloper. We definitely don’t need more condition recovery as rest recovery is already extremely OP even on interloper. I’ve been disabling night recovery (sleepwalker style) and using only awake recovery (as even low rest recovery is OP), so BBT will make that mode easier. I guess I don’t really see the need for this buff. If anything I would have made birch bark a natural accelerant which it is in RL; this would provide a tiny advantage early game. Still, it’s good that BB has a unique purpose now.

Posted (edited)

The Birch Bark used to be the disdain for most interlopers.  You are scrounging for sticks and in the dark and from a distance birch bark resembles a stick.  Used to be a pain.  Now Birch Bark is on the top of the list for collectibles.  The warmth bonus is something that now can be utilized.  I used to always hold back from using the warmth bonus from hot foods because on interloper all theses types are not renewable.  Birch Bark, always looking for it.  Noticed that it is not as plentiful as before.

15 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

DEAD WORLD challenge.

Tried this but cranked all the settings to the worst sort of like the deadman challenge.  At first you are trying to find clothing and food but after a while it gets a little boring.

Edited by Ice Hole

I agree that the Birch Bark tea is more calories in a world with too many calories. However, I typically play custom mode with Plants on Low, which equates to 1/3rd as many plants, so it balances out. It is also why I think interloper should have plants set to low, instead of high.

17 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

Noticed that it is not as plentiful as before.

I initially thought so too, but thinking about it, I think it is just as plentiful as it used to be. Its just before there was no point to collect it, so we´d ignore it as a routine, now that it is actually very useful, we focus on collecting it and so it creates the illusion of higher rarity.

20 hours ago, Loonsloon said:

But we already have nearly unlimited reishi tea for warmth buffs and calories.

Not unless you are talking about beachcombing shrooms, which dont come nearly as often to make it really "unlimited". I admit Reishis are a common plant, but if you focus on collecting them a lot, you can eventually use up all of them.

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 9:10 AM, Doc Feral said:

I can easily imagine myself walking through a birch grove.

"Ok, I'll pick up the last piece of bark. Yes, it's the last one. I'm only carrying 55 kgs, it's fine. Just another piece. I can handle it..."

I think we should occasionally find frozen corpses with exactly 60 kg of junk in their pockets...

EDIT: I mean, in the game.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 1

An idea came to me while observing this picture. 

screen_f2e093eb-ff7e-4caa-b3b5-720dc00c128c_hi.thumb.png.448502dc48ca1b5e322b7a975e5a26c4.png

On stalker and interloper levels make birch bark available only in the areas that a moose has scraped it from the tree. 

This increases the danger level for such a prize.

7 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

I think we should occasionally find frozen corpses with exactly 60 kg of junk in their pockets...

EDIT: I mean, in the game.

Just yesterday I started carrying all the loot from Timberwolf Mountain to the Pleasant Valley access. So I overloaded myself and made some trips. On the way out (meaning fully loaded with stuff) I noticed some birch barks on the ground. Do you think I managed to just move along and pick them up on the way back?

There should be support groups with meetings, badges and all that for lootaholics.

I rarely find Birch Bark, and now that it's truly useful... I have found none so far... <.<

43 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Not unless you are talking about beachcombing shrooms, which dont come nearly as often to make it really "unlimited". I admit Reishis are a common plant, but if you focus on collecting them a lot, you can eventually use up all of them.

I’ve been using reishis a lot for temp buffs in a low condition recovery run where I can’t afford to have temperature go to zero when traveling. Over this long run I have collected reishis as I encountered them and despite using them almost daily in the beginning I still have stockpiles. Now that my clothing maxed, the need for temp buffs has diminished so I dont see myself burning through my stockpile.  So in practice I have found them to be an effectively unlimited source of buffs. I didn’t realize that shrooms wash up on the beach! Strange but then there are even more..