The Long Dark Survival Mode Updated to V1.48 -- STEADFAST RANGER

Admin

A toggle in the config menu for the slope indicator would be nice. It's useful, but can also be distracting. That way people could turn it on or off as they prefer

I don't mind other HUD elements like scent or windshield indicators. But other stuff has been added recently like the ridiculously huge buff popups that turn it more and more into some arcade game

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kristaok said:

When I played Astrid before the Update I could run quite a ways until she ran out of breath, I would rest and run some more! I was WILD and FREE! now I can't possibly think of running because she starts to breathe like she is dying from a heart attack, and CRACK you have a Sprain! and Astrid goes from perfect vision to needing glasses! Now hear me out, the whole vision thing I don't necessarily have a qualm with if she Sprained her ankle going down a hill or something, but when I am running on flat land trying to get stuff done before dark, yea that really sucks. 

I didn't have much time to play the game myself since the new update but reading comments here and on Steam and watching some streamers play TLD seems that the 'sprains system' is broken (literally), you get one almost doing whatever and looks like Astrid/Will are made of glass. It happens too often and, in the end, the game is less enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

The Custom game menu now has all but Pilgrim mode defaulting to starting in Heavy Fog, instead of the actual weather the other three game modes start with...

What other default Custom settings are different from the actual game mode settings?

Guest kristaok
39 minutes ago, LilWolf said:

I didn't have much time to play the game myself since the new update but reading comments here and on Steam and watching some streamers play TLD seems that the 'sprains system' is broken (literally), you get one almost doing whatever and looks like Astrid/Will are made of glass. It happens too often and, in the end, the game is less enjoyable.

I'm basically having to carry hardly anything, and I have learned to take breaks (stop walking / running) every time I get the warning - It has definitely changed how I play that's for sure. I like the new Revolver, and the Pain Mechanic, and Vision Loss is a neat realistic touch, but having it happen so much is tough.

11 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I slept 4 hours at a time to make sure I wasn't getting too cold... so I don't recall exactly when the afflictions lifted.  I slept a total of 12 hours, but the afflictions were all gone long before then.  I will no doubt do it again tonight... I am really stingy with cloth so I am not likely to ever use bandages unless I need to stop the bleeding :D 

I am definitely of the opinion that the pain mechanic got "stuck" on my sprain (a bug? - trigger, unknown).  I just sprained my ankle and immediately bandaged it and took 2 pain killers.  I noted that the duration remaining on the pain after taking the pain killers was shown as 3 hrs 40 mins and the visual effect did disappear after that time.

So, the clock should have run out on the pain from that sprained wrist within 4 hours (since a wrist reportedly heals quicker than an ankle).  The fact that it healed immediately after I did take the pain killers (after having slept 6 hours) tells me that it should have expired on its own... unless taking the painkillers is mandatory to getting rid of pain.   However, the fact that my earlier sprain healed completely without any pain killers and 4 hours of sleep shows that taking pain killers is not mandatory.

It's not consistent... something is bugged.

16 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

Sprains.  It such the topic.

92380354_screen_(1939203575)_a6bebe62-0024-4370-a1a1-1c35be8de010.thumb.png.ec210d20e220a014633fd49f5a8976ec.png

1060941576_screen_(1939203575)_2e2516c2-8130-47c2-b65c-88367297b2d4.thumb.png.27726e8489ea98cda11b6e6e0a08c1fc.png1140507726_screen_(1939203575)_a33b3da4-ab8c-404f-9491-236b43e38f76.thumb.png.9ab8c8b180f874b26a9da58da7887d9f.png

This might be a bug but I am not sure.

With a wrist sprain is the revolver a weapon to hold?

Since the Revolver is a single handed weapon you can hold it with one wrist sprain but not both.

Also you are both over encumbered and more than 3/4ths tired so I'd expect to stumble and get a sprain as you did in your situation.

28 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Since the Revolver is a single handed weapon you can hold it with one wrist sprain but not both.

Also you are both over encumbered and more than 3/4ths tired so I'd expect to stumble and get a sprain as you did in your situation.

I had not found a revolver at that point in time.  The only weapon I had access to was, in fact, stones and I did not have one equipped.  I wasn't tired at all, having gotten the sprain while literally getting out of bed after a full night's sleep.  I was about 5 kg overencumbered because I had cooked 7 kg of venison up just before turning in to bed and had not gone out to the porch yet to dump it in the snow to slow its decay.  (It was a wolf who had killed the deer in front of Gray Mother's house and, because I'm on Pilgrim mode, it ran off as I approached so I could harvest the deer without having to kill it.)

After getting the sprain while getting out of the bed, I literally just crawled back into bed and slept 6 more hours without bandaging or taking pain killers.  After that time, the sprain was noted as having healed, but the pain remained and would not go away until I finally decided to take two pain killers.  Then, and only then, it went away immediately.

ETA:  Thinking about this, I'm willing to bet that even though I asked for 6 more hours of sleep, the game woke me immediately upon the sprained wrist being healed (2 hours).  Now, the question is does the pain remain for a total of 4 hours regardless of the nature of the sprain.  If so, it would have had 2 hours remaining... but that still can't explain though why it went away immediately when I did take the painkillers.

I'm also wondering if I'm getting lag on the sprain notification such that, rather than getting this sprain while getting up from bed, it started when I was getting into the bed and just couldn't start quick enough before I went to sleep for the night.  The same sort of thing could explain by getting a sprain the game day before while entering Gray Mother's house.  That sprain maybe should have happened as I was climbing the hill to her house, but only showed up after the door loading screen had completed.

Edited by UpUpAway95
added information

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I had not found a revolver at that point in time.  The only weapon I had access to was, in fact, stones and I did not have one equipped.  I wasn't tired at all, having gotten the sprain while literally getting out of bed after a full night's sleep.  I was about 5 kg overencumbered because I had cooked 7 kg of venison up just before turning in to bed and had not gone out to the porch yet to dump it in the snow to slow its decay.  (It was a wolf who had killed the deer in front of Gray Mother's house and, because I'm on Pilgrim mode, it ran off as I approached so I could harvest the deer without having to kill it.)

The Slope Warning Indicator does go off in front of Grey Mother's house and being 5 Kilos overweight is a risk I'm trying to avoid right now.

That combination even after a good night's sleep could indeed produce a sprain.

Also my response was to my friend Icehole and based on his screenshots and questions.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

The Slope Warning Indicator does go off in front of Grey Mother's house and being 5 Kilos overweight is a risk I'm trying to avoid right now.

That combination even after a good night's sleep could indeed produce a sprain.

Also my response was to my friend Icehole and based on his screenshots and questions.

I'm trying to be very good about not getting overencumbered, but it makes for a lot of extra trips to and from Gray Mother's house while looting Milton.  I just found the revolver at the place crash.  It took me 4 days worth of trips to get to and from the plane crash with loot without being overencumbered... and I still got several sprains.

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm trying to be very good about not getting overencumbered, but it makes for a lot of extra trips to and from Gray Mother's house while looting Milton.  I just found the revolver at the place crash.  It took me 4 days worth of trips to get to and from the plane crash with loot without being overencumbered... and I still got several sprains.

While I tend to run around heavy...I am now being very careful about that. That said I've never been a TLD hoarder so to speak. I don't bring everything in a region to a central location, to mee that seems pointless. I take what I need and move on.

Just now, RossBondReturns said:

While I tend to run around heavy...I am now being very careful about that. That said I've never been a TLD hoarder so to speak. I don't bring everything in a region to a central location, to mee that seems pointless. I take what I need and move on.

I usually have two or three locations where I put stuff.  In Mountain Town, I'll have a stash at Paradise Meadows and another at Gray Mother's.  I don't like leaving stuff in the other buildings in town since it's mostly food and clothing and I ultimately find myself looking for both later on again.  Moving it means I don't have to think about going through each house a second time.  I also like to clear the plane crash site completely so I don't have to go back (and I used to do it in one trip... a very slow trip and I usually got a sprain or two).  I think I probably should have just ignored the sprain mechanic and did it the same way this time.  On Pilgrim, Will doesn't have to worry about getting attacked, so I could be mean and just turn off his whining and let him limp home fully loaded.

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I usually have two or three locations where I put stuff.  In Mountain Town, I'll have a stash at Paradise Meadows and another at Gray Mother's.  I don't like leaving stuff in the other buildings in town since it's mostly food and clothing and I ultimately find myself looking for both later on again.  Moving it means I don't have to think about going through each house a second time.  I also like to clear the plane crash site completely so I don't have to go back (and I used to do it in one trip... a very slow trip and I usually got a sprain or two).  I think I probably should have just ignored the sprain mechanic and did it the same way this time.  On Pilgrim, Will doesn't have to worry about getting attacked, so I could be mean and just turn off his whining and let him limp home fully loaded.

I totally get that. Everyone has their individual play styles.

To be very honest I love that sprains are more costly now. I also love the blurring effect for pain it really brings the pain to life for me.

So is it just me or are the wolves a lot more tame in this update? There's been several occasions that I've been within 5 - 10 feet from a wolf, on stalker, and the wolf pays me no attention as if it didn't notice me. They're much much easier to sneak past and less of an obstacle over all since I can just walk right past them now

Just now, Tbone555 said:

So is it just me or are the wolves a lot more tame in this update? There's been several occasions that I've been within 5 - 10 feet from a wolf, on stalker, and the wolf pays me no attention as if it didn't notice me. They're much much easier to sneak past and less of an obstacle over all since I can just walk right past them now

Haven't played yet on stalker post this update.  I'm thinking that they run away a lot sooner in Pilgrim though.  I used to be able to sneak up on a wolf feeding on a deer in order to shoot it to get its pelt, but now they seem to be running away before Will even gets in sight of them.  It could be that I'm not yet trying to sneak up on them though since I only just found the revolver and still need to find a rifle or bow and arrows before I'll be able to kill them.

23 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I totally get that. Everyone has their individual play styles.

To be very honest I love that sprains are more costly now. I also love the blurring effect for pain it really brings the pain to life for me.

I'm not hating the pain thing.  I just don't think its working right.  I just got another sprained ankle.  This time I thought I would let Will just limp home without treating it at all.  When I entered Gray Mother's house, I got a notice that the pain had healed (I guess the time just expired on it without any treatment.  I still have the sprained ankle though, which says it still requires 4 hours of recovery time and a bandage, apparently.  I'm now just going to bed with it... we'll see what happens.

ETA:  Sure enough, it healed with just 4 hours of sleep.  No bandage.

Edited by UpUpAway95

56 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Haven't played yet on stalker post this update.  I'm thinking that they run away a lot sooner in Pilgrim though.  I used to be able to sneak up on a wolf feeding on a deer in order to shoot it to get its pelt, but now they seem to be running away before Will even gets in sight of them.  It could be that I'm not yet trying to sneak up on them though since I only just found the revolver and still need to find a rifle or bow and arrows before I'll be able to kill them.

Oh don't worry - the revolver works just fine against wolves. I've killed 2 already, but those were charging me and I got headshots. I'm not sure how it'll work as a hunting tool, but if it's anything like real life it should work as a hunting tool in a pinch

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

so I'd expect to stumble and get a sprain as you did in your situation

The reality was that I was intentionally trying to get a sprain.  For scientific experimentation of course. 

In fact it took two attempts

Goated up this rock and jumped. 

2061093636_screen_(1934212549)_022d2a24-76f1-4fce-82c6-097229d5ed0b.thumb.png.76da6a3072cc68a9f750242a1e3fa8e8.png

The first attempt failed to sprain.

1066047680_screen_(1930204545)_5f52c0b2-783f-42cb-8037-cdac9b9bb80d.thumb.png.5197a416e40fb3ef8d54190c4135f9cb.png

Goating higher.

screen_e04da93b-4c9e-4a0f-870d-66f54eb1a945_hi.thumb.png.aeedda6d2735535fee71c71015a91b47.png

1837426612_screen_(1939203576)_40e265cb-fb8c-40aa-8f4e-39a1f79639de.thumb.png.f93d4b1d1d36ab8cb01b5a69d0a4c9be.png

Success!  A wrist sprain.  Now I can test out a bug about not being able to sprint with only a wrist sprain.

screen_(1941, 222, 561)_d5b68ecf-e71e-4b4b-991a-0c8bac268af9.png

Edited by Ice Hole

16 hours ago, reginaphalange said:

I know it's rec'd to start a new playthrough, but is it still possible to find the revolver and energy drinks in existing SM saves? I just took a quick look around Camp Office and found nothing.

I found one in an existing save game but an explored area.  Have yet to find one in an explored area but haven't looked too hard.

@kristaok
You are being more than a little melodramatic.  As I've mentioned before... whenever anything new gets implemented there are bound to be adjustments, tweaks to mechanics, rebalancing, etc...
Raph already tweeted that they see what the systems is going and are working on it.

Folks need to be patient when new content comes... there are always unexpected bugs or unintended side-effects of systems interacting with other systems.

If you are having and emotional event over it, maybe you should consider taking a break for the sake of your mental health.  I'm not judging you, I'm just offering you some advice that might help.  Give the update sometime to settle in and for the team at Hinterland to squash all the bugs.

Hang in there survivor... it's going to be okay.  :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

am definitely of the opinion that the pain mechanic got "stuck" on my sprain

Yeah, most likely a bug, but Raph says the team is working the issue(s).  I kind of find the pain mechanic a little odd... oh I mean it makes sense "treat pain with pain meds" intuitive and I like it.  Their representation of pain is some blurry edges and a neat sound dampening effect - and I like that too.  However, now I find that the pain part is not all that bad and I find myself option to just let it pass.  So now I have no use for rose hips and painkillers... Treating the pain will still not allow you to resume your normal physical activity... and I am far to stingy with cloth to waste a bandage on anything other that a bleeding wound. 

This is not a complaint... Just an observation.  I used to always make sure I had pain meds on me for sprains... now I don't carry any :D  Heck I don't even bother to pick it up.
I just keep an extra bandage on me in case I get a bad sprain and I really need to run.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Folks need to be patient when new content comes... there are always unexpected bugs or unintended side-effects of systems interacting with other systems.

Everybody who played WoW back in the days knows: "never play on patch day"  😀 It wasn't that bad in TLD! Just a few sprains which could be slept off and couple of rounds wasted due to the strange aiming system (I do not mean the thing which were implemented, they are cool, it just seems that the aiming itself is different than it was before).